Thread: Tree platforms

Default Tree platforms

Hello everyone, I am tired of hunting in the thick brush so I have set up a thin steel frame that hangs on one tree. It is 42" out x 6' wide. I set it up with 6' hard walls and a metal roof. It is collapsable to a package the floor size, does anyone like the the idea, when it's complete I will post some pics. P.M. me if you'd like to discuss it further
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Saw the picture on your web site of a similar stand. Looks cozy! Why such a thick wall? Is this more for winter hunting or just for strength?

Quote Originally Posted by INI IRE View Post
    Saw the picture on your web site of a similar stand. Looks cozy! Why such a thick wall? Is this more for winter hunting or just for strength?
    That's just panaling zippytied to a thin tube steel frame
    Μολών λαβέ

Ironartist...are you giving plans away for this idea, or are you selling something?

If you are giving them away or just sharing an idea, the post can stand, if not, you can contact the webmaster about advertising here like other others have done...

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by fullkurl View Post
    Ironartist...are you giving plans away for this idea, or are you selling something?

If you are giving them away or just sharing an idea, the post can stand, if not, you can contact the webmaster about advertising here like other others have done...

Frank
    Guys are more than ok to use my ideas, I am just asking questions to make an idea better for everyone
    Μολών λαβέ

Excellent, thanks!

Default food for thought...

Sounds like a great idea! I'm not sure about a steel roof though. It will keep you dry, but sure will be loud inside in a rainstorm. Just wondering if you can do anything to it to dampen sound while keeping weight down.

Default viewing platforms

The large deck that you see above I just set it up with a tarp and it was probably as noisey as the metal roof will be. I am going to back the metal roof with 1" foam board. I get bears and moose feeding right next to me in a down pore I think the sound resinateing everywhere doesn't really affect them. The biggest bull I ever seen was in a torential downpore, along with this waldo 7 foot bear that I let my 12 year old stepson shoot50 foot away on a pile of donuts
    Last edited by ironartist; 01-12-2010 at 08:29.
    Μολών λαβέ

Default platforms

Here you go, hour and a half set up time at 8 feet by myself. Now to pull it down to paint, then set back up out in the woods. What do you think, let me know
    Μολών λαβέ

Have you weighed it?

Default weight

I weighed it all up and the grand total is 270 pounds

clamping system and main support bracing 80#
    building framework 110#
    3/8 cdx floor 20#
    siding/roofing material 60#

I would like to find something a little safer to use than the siding/roofing material but I kinda need the corner to corner strenght I get from it, Ideas are welcome, light and inexpensive
    Between my and a partner I had 400#s just on the framework and I shook it up real good and the only thing I can really see flex is the bark on the big softwood tree I was trying it out on.
    Μολών λαβέ

Perhaps you can make a frame for the sides using angle stock and rivet plastic siding to it to make panels. Aluminum angle would be the light expensive way to go with steel being the heavy cheap(er) method.

Default plastic panels

I would like to find plastic panels for safety but would they weigh less than the thin metal roofing. As far as building framework I used 1/8 x 1 1/4 angle and as little as possible for weight and far as aluminum it takes about 3 times as long to fab alum over steel. Now at this point with the price of steel I might be out making them out of sticks, just kidding I'm no carpenter
    Μολών λαβέ

I like steel as well I can't weld very well but I will say if you cut a board too short you cant go plant it in the back yard till it grows another inch! You can weld another inch on if you cut metal too short.

Default Iroiartist

Have you figured out just how much it costs to make? It seems that some of the commercial tower blinds (like Cabela's lists in their catalog) might end up being cheaper and quieter. Your platform looks neat. Only thing is with your's... you may need something in back to break up your outline.

Default Alternative panel design

I like the steel frame also. Another method to use that is quite light but durable is painted canvas. I do upholstery work and have done this a few times. I made an awning for a building that was a light square tube steel frame made from 1x1x0.049 wall tube. Welded up the frame and then used self drilling screws to attach wooden strips on the inside edges of the frame. Went to home depot and bought some of those canvas painters tarps. They're cheap for how many square feet you get. I then sewed up a cover with edges a little long. Stretch and staple the cover on to the frame. Then I used acrylic enamel paint and gave it two or three coats. I know that awning is still in great shape today and it's been ten years or so. Old timers sealed roofs of cabins that way and old wood boats had roof and deck covers done this way.

Great concept, IA.

It seems to me that (like was said) aluminum angle stock is the ticket here.
    So much lighter, and no rust worries.....

Default Bait Stand

Hi There Here Is My Bait Stand I Made For A Ground Blind To Set On Pretty Easy To Make The Deck Is 7x7 Plenty Of Room
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Completed

So what do you guys think of my finished one of a kind art project
    Μολών λαβέ

Thumbs up

Very nice. You could get a "1% For Art" grant and put some up in front of downtown gov't buildings to celebrate our diverse Alaskan culture.