Thread: Kenai Peninsula Hunting and Fishing

Default Kenai Peninsula Hunting and Fishing

I am a HS teacher originally from Minnesota now living in S. Texas. I was thinking of doing some Black bear Hunting and fishing on the Kenai Peninsula either this summer or next. Maybe the last week in June and the first week in July..That way I can have 2 bears. My plan (such as it is) is to fly into Anchorage, get a rental car.. and see what happens. Any help, ideas, knowledge (where to specifically go and/or some cheap lodging ideas). I hope to have some bear meat to give away also, but thats jumping the gun. I have never been to Alaska but I have some frequent flyer miles with Continental Airlines I could use. Oh... My name Is Steven, 53 years old in good shape (at least for a old guy..lol). I must an adventerous spirit to even consider doing something like this.

Steven - It's not a bad idea, but if you want a nice bear hide to get a rug made, you may want to consider coming earlier. By last June/early July you can expect most of the bears to have some significant rubs on their hides. If you just want the experience coupled with some great fishing, it might work. If you want a hide on the wall, come earlier. If you hunted bears in early June, you could then turn your attention towards fishing reds on the Russian River on June 11 and fishing Kings on any number of Peninsula rivers.

Default Bear..Kenai

Thanks for the info. I am not looking for trophy skins.. Would just take photos anyway...Not make a rug. Give someone the meat. I will probably wait until summer 2009 to do something.. Time to look at all my options.. Steven from Texas

Default Photos?

Let me get it straight. You want to come up and shoot a bear just to get some photos? Im sure someone on the forum can send you some photos, and you could just use your airline miles for a Hawaiian vacation.

Default set your clock back

For both purposes, meat and hide, late june, early july are tough for bear. The only hunting left for blackies on the Kenai at that time is either down on the rivers or very high spot and stalk, and the vegetation is all up, so its tough finding them. Meat if down low will be tainted by fish, and hides will be rubbed. For 2 bear, either use an outfitter or hunt with a friend, trade a hunt, etc, in a 3 bear unit over bait or spot and stalk the last week of May, first week of June. Your flight will put you in Anchorage, and 3 bears can be taken an hour and a half drive W-NW in Willow, or an hour and a half drive N toward Glenallen. I think you're limiting your options too much by choosing the last week of June, early July on the Kenai. Baiting seasons end June 15 and June 30, depending on the unit, so if you're just looking for meat, the first 2 weeks in June can be a little better over bait, as the bears are usually camped on it by that time. Just remember that with meat its highly affected by what booboo's eating- if he's eating fish forget about it. Hides will mostly be rubbed, and whether you're looking for one or not, they are a great memento of the hunt, and not terribly high priced to tan- $300-500 depending on taxidermist and bear size.