Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bear Plug

Default Bear Plug

for the bear hunters out there....I came across this in the woods yesterday and was wondering if it was a 'Fecal Plug'...if not what do yall think it is?

Default .Hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Richie View Post
    for the bear hunters out there....I came across this in the woods yesterday and was wondering if it was a 'Fecal Plug'...if not what do yall think it is?

Looks like last year's doo-doo to me (note the dead grass ON TOP of it, indicating that the grass died after it was dropped).

I'm no expert, but that's my take.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Looks more like a "moose pie" than bear to me. The plugs I have seen look much darker, like merconium(sp?) from a new born baby.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Richie View Post
    I'm no expert, but I think that is a pile of crap.

Winter "plugs" are usually a single entity and full of hair. Bears apparently will bite mouth fulls of hair from their abd. and swallow it to help form the plug.

Hint: the Moose droppings you see that are also popular tourist trinkets (yes, people actually buy doo-doo) are not what moose poop always looks like. Spoiled One, I had the same thought; looks like a summer moose pie.

Default Moose

When a ruminant changes its diet, ie. summer to fall they will have a different texture to their stool. This is caused when the animal does not have the correct bacteria to help with digestion of its new food. This is what you are looking at...

Hope this helps
    Tucker

I like to refer to that as bear s**t!

Here is one that I think is a plug that I found last spring. You can't see the bits of hair in there, but they're there. It was super dense and hard, even though it was fresh.

It was found right next to this moose carcass.

Default bear plugs

Usually plugs are released within the first week or two after the bears come out of hibernation, when they eat mostly roots, sedges and sweet grasses to rejuvenate their
    digestive and elimination systems. There is usually hair, as was said, and quite a bit of thick mucous. That looks like a black bear plug, judging from the size.

thanks guys...appreciate it. Anyone once else got some pictures of some poop?

Default Wash your hands!

All we need now is a scratch and sniff feature.

This thread is full of Poop! ha ha ha I could not resist

Default looks more canine

brian that bunch of poop you found by the moose carcass looks to be some medium sized dog....coyote maybe...i have seen "plugs" down on the peninsula...there is a large terd...something that looks like you crammed a bunch of nasty grass into a tennis ball container and then popped it out...usually right after that there is a "splatter" where the plug got pushed out.....black bears are a bit smaller but still about the diameter of a half dollar....sorry i don't have any pictures to share though
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Default oh yeah

i just seen a nice black bear by the ship creek bridge on the glenn....it had its head down feeding but it looked close to six feet.....couldn't tell if it was still plugged or not....
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

You might be right, but there was a small black bear track in the immediate vicinity, though. I was a bit surprised that the carcass wasn't buried if it were a bear, but I didn't see any canine tracks. I did see two coyotes on a nearby hillside 1 week later, though, and I'm pretty sure they were right at the mouth of their den.

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Hint: the Moose droppings you see that are also popular tourist trinkets (yes, people actually buy doo-doo) are not what moose poop always looks like. Spoiled One, I had the same thought; looks like a summer moose pie.
    I was kinda thinkin' it looked more like a corn fritter to me ...Did you taste it?

bd

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker View Post
    When a ruminant changes its diet, ie. summer to fall they will have a different texture to their stool. This is caused when the animal does not have the correct bacteria to help with digestion of its new food. This is what you are looking at...

Hope this helps
    Tucker
    Had to look that one up...

"ru·mi·nant /ˈrunənt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[roo-muh-nuhnt] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation –noun 1.any even-toed, hoofed mammal of the suborder Ruminantia, being comprised of cloven-hoofed, cud-chewing quadrupeds, and including, besides domestic cattle, bison, buffalo, deer, antelopes, giraffes, camels, and chevrotains."

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    You might be right, but there was a small black bear track in the immediate vicinity, though. I was a bit surprised that the carcass wasn't buried if it were a bear, but I didn't see any canine tracks. I did see two coyotes on a nearby hillside 1 week later, though, and I'm pretty sure they were right at the mouth of their den.
    Have you seen a black bear bury a carcass? That's more of a grizz thing, isn't it?

bd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast