Thread: Clipped Kenai coho?

Default Clipped Kenai coho?

Caught three of them last week. Is there is still an active Kenai coho research project going on, or were these just strays.

No tags on the fish, but I was just wondering if ADFG needed to know about the clipped silvers.

Nerka?
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone."
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Why don't you ask ADF&G? They are pretty good folks and usually get right back to anyone with a quesiton......

I took some in a couple years ago and they didn't want them. They said they knew all of them were from the Moose River so I haven't taken anymore in. I get a lot of them during the season.

Had over a dozen of them one year a few years back in the Ditch ... ADF&G didn't seem too interested ... thought they had probably come from the Moose project as well. Only see an occasional one most years.

Smile unfortunate situation

It is unfortunate that ADF&G has to assume that adipose fin clipped coho salmon are all from the Kenai/Moose River project. At one point a number of naturally produced coho salmon from the Pacific Northwest and Canada had adipose fin clips as well as a number from Alaska streams.

When a tagged coho is captured in the Kenai the assumption is that it is Moose River origin and the probability is high that it is. However, not scanning the coded wire tag means any information on straying of other stocks is lost in the process.

Unfortunately, high tagging rates of Moose River fish combined with costs of removing and processing coded wire tags makes it a certainity that information will be lost for these other stocks.

Here is an example of how straying rates can be evaluated when hatchery stocks are examined. The early Crooked Creek chinook run has a 100% coded wire tagging rate with adipose fin clip to externally identify the fish.

In past years a number of these fish showed up in the Kenai (Skikok Creek) and that led the Department to reduce stocking levels at Crooked Creek.

This year the USFWS had a video system on the Funny River. Guess what?-- adipose chinook, probably from Crooked Creek, showed up in the system. If ADF&G had adipose fin clipped chinook in the Kenai they may have assumed these fish were from the Kenai. Straying of hatchery fish from Crooked Creek is a source of concern for biologist if the level is very high. If ADF&G assumed that the fish were Kenai origin they would have lost these data.

Hope this is clear - relative to the Kenai everyone should be watching how the Crooked Creek stocks are straying,

What is the story of the Moose/Kenai coho project? I'm living in Sterling, but haven't been here long enough to hear about this? Just curious as I am also looking for a place to bank fish coho.

-JR

Smile Moose River coho

ADF&G tagged juvenile coho salmon with a coded wire tag (inserted in the head) when they left the system as smolt. When they returned as adults the ratio of marked coho to unmarked could give them as estimate of the total smolt population of the Kenai.

In addition, tagged coho picked up in the commercial fishery could be used to estimate the rate of harvest. The commercial fleet it turns out catches very few coho headed for the Kenai. In fact, a number of the coho caught in the set net fishery are headed for other streams like Swanson River.

I believe the ADF&G has terminated the marking project but continues to count the smolt out of the Moose River.

As a side note the Moose River does not have that many adults returning to it. Coho salmon move from their spawning grounds to rearing areas in the summer and then onto wintering areas. It appears that the Moose River drainage is good rearing and wintering habitat so a number of Kenai River mainstem spawning coho use it for that purpose.

Also, I have caught 3 tagged sockeyes, 2 have had orange spagetti tags and the one today was white, not numbers of markings of any kind on the tag. I have never seen this before, any one know???

Smile tagged sockeye in Kenai

This year ADF&G is conducting a mark/recapture estimate of Kenai river sockeye. I assume the tags are part of that study. You might want to call ADF&G and report you caught them, when and where. Ask for MarK or Jeff in Comm Fish Division.

Thanks Nerka.