Thread: trickiest launch in southcentral

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default trickiest launch in southcentral

what is the hardest launch you guys have ever encountered here in southcentral. for me i think the little su seems to be the most chaotic. fast water and not much room sure makes for a show.

i'm not sure, but i do like watching new people launching. two years ago in whittier i watched a guy take 25 min to launch his boat, then when he shoved off catch the boats across from the launch, snag his anchor on a sailboat, finally he got it unhooked then run hard into the fuel dock going to fast in the no wake zone. i had to leave. same day i also seen someone in a new sea sport run into someone still tied to the launch ramp when he was going out. so for new people i thing any launch is tricky. even watched someone unhook the boat at top of launch,no safety chain nothing left to hold the boat on drop his boat 10' from the water. then he pushed it down with the trailer. so i feel any launch is tricky for some people.jeff

Little Su can be fun if the trailer isn't angled right for the LOADING, hehe. I was in the water trying to line up my inflatable and my buddy was running my truck . . . he sees me struggling a bit with the current, hops out to help, and next thing I know the truck is backing into the river!

Thought for sure we'd be seeing the S-10 down at the first bend but he was able to hop in and hit the brakes. Had to remind him what "P" meant on the gearshift!

We could laugh about it, but came Frog-hair close to major disaster.

Whitter can be tricky. On a busy day and low tide you don't have to much space there.
    One day I was returning and had to wait for the dock to free up. There was a thunderjet boat about to move onto its trailer when he told the guys behind him that were not tied to the dock to move back. Well they did not. When the thunderjet thrusted it's motors it caused the other boat to slam into very nice yatch that was tied up.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Deep Creek

Was the the most difficult for me when the wind was from the west along with a big surf. I ended up ripping a guide on off of my trailer and putting a small dent in my boat the first time I experienced it.

Default Little sue

Little sue is tricky especially if you don't angle the trailer. One time I had a lot of fun loading it. My dad had trouble backing the truck down with my 14' cabover camper on it, he couldn't see to angle it. I had to power my boat into position after totally blowing it and getting pushed off the side of the trailer by the current. I had a guy come an compliment me on the save. I'm putting large guide on bunks on the trailer this year to make it a bit easier.