Thread: Unit 13

Default Unit 13

How far is that from Anchorage? Was looking at a Brown bear hunt there. Thanks Steven from S. Texas

Default Here you go...

Game unit 13 http://http://www.wildlife.alaska.go...pdfs/gmu13.pdf

Unit 13 is a pretty large area, the southern edge of which is basically just North of Anchorage. It covers everything between the Richardson and Parks highways , and up to the Denali highway.

Thanks, Your right.. Huge area.. I had saw a guided brown bear hunt in that area for 2009 that caught my eye.. Just trying to do some research. Steven

They are the same species but any bear you get from unit 13 would be considered a Griz and not a Brown. Like I said they are the same bear but the interior does not produce the truly BIG bears that the AK Pen and the Islands are known for. The interior is spectacular and the hunts are generally cheaper when compared to the coastal brownies. If you take a gander at the B&C Griz records you may see at least one bear that I know of originating from that unit though! Unit 13 is also a predator control area that has tooo many bears so I would encourage you to get up there and get one!!

Actually Unit 13 bears are considered brown bears. Everything south of the Alaska range are brown bears.

Parts of Unit 13 is in what the F&G views as grizzly country, if I recall correctly Alphabet Hills and south is the imaginary line where Brown bear designation starts. Something like that.

Technically Brown and Grizzly bears are the same species through out the state. Fish and game doesn't distinguish them differently anywhere, it's all the same genus species to them. The difference is only used by Boone and Crockett. Bears taken off the Denali Highway have to have a 28 inch skull to qualify for boone and crockett which puts them in the Brown bear catagory. Minimum score for Grizzly bear is 24 inches.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyH View Post
    Technically Brown and Grizzly bears are the same species through out the state. Fish and game doesn't distinguish them differently anywhere, it's all the same genus species to them. The difference is only used by Boone and Crockett. Bears taken off the Denali Highway have to have a 28 inch skull to qualify for boone and crockett which puts them in the Brown bear catagory. Minimum score for Grizzly bear is 24 inches.
    I thought I saw a F&G tag on a skull that said Grizz? Do they all say Grizz?
    A guy I know got a Grizz in 13 and he said F&G called it a Grizz because it came from 13 and they said it was a Grizz and not a Brown no matter what B&C says, it would be #3 in Boone & Crockett for Grizz but B&C calls it a Brown so it's WAY DOWN their list.

The tags say Brown/Grizz on them.

We all know that the bears on the denali highway are more like the interior Grizzly's than the coastal brown bears. That's why in general they dont get as big. Since brown/griz bears are the same species, the only way to distinguish them is to draw an imaginary line, which is what B & C did. There's bears on the Grizzly side (north) of the line that get really big and are more like the coastal ones. There's also some bears on the south side of the line that are more like the gizzlies. They dont get as big even at an old age.