Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Salmon Pole?

Unhappy New Salmon Pole?

Well...It's come to that time. After ten years of faithful service, my trusty salmon slayer "The Eliminator" is being retired. She started creaking pretty bad towards the end of last year. (Too many of those just-for-fun chums at Willow).

Therefore, I am now in the search for a new salmon slayer! I have looked at a few different types; lamiglass, st. croix, the ever-present ugly-stick.

Then I had an epiphany, what do you, the men and women of AODD fish with?!? Help me choose my new pole!

Any/all comments, suggestions, etc. are welcome!

I'd be looking for around a 8' spincasting pole, preferably two piece. (And preferably not $300)

Thanks guys!

Jon

I don't know much about spinning rods. My fly rod is a St. Croix and I really like it. My baitcaster is a Berkley. I'm pleased with it, but haven't put much time on the water with it yet.
    Last edited by Brian M; 05-03-2008 at 23:10. Reason: oops - I put down the wrong pole! My old one was Lamiglass, replaced with Berkley IM7

Default Berkley IM7

I like the Berkley (Buzz Ramsey Special) IM7 rods in both spinning and casting configuration, 8.6" with the medium or heavy action. These are my favorite rods.

Default Ugly Stik Lite!

I have four of these rods. One medium, two medium-heavy, and 1 heavy, they are indestructible. I like the medium heavy action for catching salmon. The ugly stik lite rods have the best sensitivity of any rod I have tried. You can tell when a king is just mouthing your spin and glow or eggs. They also have the backbone to horse in a 40+ pound king. Price, reliability and overall outcome fishing with these rods will have me buying another. You don't need to spend any more money on a rod. I have tried g-loomis, st. croix, cabelas, shimano, and berkely air rods. Go with the ugly stik LITE!

Ugly Stick
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Something to consider is the Cortland Endurance Noodle Rod / Okuma Epixor Spinning combo -- picked one up for around $110.

Default ugly stick is my weapon of choice

all of my rods are ugly stiks. i have a spinning rod for kings, a baitcaster for silvers, and a ugly stik halibut rod that im just dying to use...

Lamiglas Kenai special. It is light enough for any salmon fishing.

What kind of rod did you have before? Have you thought of getting another like it.

My favorite is a Lamiglas Kenia special that I caught a king on, on its very first cast. That same rod has caught every kind of salmon and a 136 pound halibut. I used it for 17 years. I bought another new Kenai Special a couple years ago and passed down the older one to my second oldest.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Cabela's Fish Eagle II.
    Now what ?

Thumbs up +1 Ugly

stick lite
    Matt Drayton, Chef de Cuisine
    Captain Steve's Fishing Lodge
    www.captainstevesfishinglodge.com

Fenwick. Very light depending on model, excellent backbone, durable, and quite sensitive.

Lamiglas Kenai Special. It is a little light for the Kenai in July but works really well for silvers, chums, sockeye, and even kings in other systems. You can find them at Walmart, Fred Meyers, on base at the Hook N Hole and they will be in a afforable price range. Lamiglas also has a limited life time replacement warranty just in case.

Default fenwick

I would go with a good Fenwick, they withstand and work great.
    I also like the ugly stick rods, but don't have as good of sensitivity.
    I have to vote against Lamiglas though, I really love how they fish and they used to be my favorite, but I have broken three or four rods on salmon in the past 10 years.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

I have used Lamiglas for years and have not broken one due to rod failure. Maybe from using an ultra light and catching silvers until the rod gave out or from shutting it in a car door but not due to failure. When I did break one I sent it in to the factory and they sent me a new one for under forty bucks even though I paid $150 for that rod to begin with and even though it was my fault that it broke. Also, Laimglas is located in Woodland, Washington which means that these rods are made in the good ol USA (they do have a brand of rods that are made in over seas and the warranty and price reflects those rods).
    Having said all that it is really like diving a FORD, CHEVY, GMC, Toyota, or whichever is the model/make that you drive. They are all a little different but a lot alike and they all get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Ugly Stick
    Second that or even Lamiglass
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I have broken a fair share of lamiglas. I wouldn't recommend them. My ugly stick I just can't seem to break though. I've had it for 10 years easy and it's still going. In that time I have broken 6 or 7 lamiglas. Near 1 a season. I did have a fenwick that lasted me a long time but finally broke this past summer. Had that for near 18 years.

Quote Originally Posted by iceblue View Post
    I have used Lamiglas for years and have not broken one due to rod failure. Maybe from using an ultra light and catching silvers until the rod gave out or from shutting it in a car door but not due to failure. When I did break one I sent it in to the factory and they sent me a new one for under forty bucks even though I paid $150 for that rod to begin with and even though it was my fault that it broke. Also, Laimglas is located in Woodland, Washington which means that these rods are made in the good ol USA (they do have a brand of rods that are made in over seas and the warranty and price reflects those rods).
    Having said all that it is really like diving a FORD, CHEVY, GMC, Toyota, or whichever is the model/make that you drive. They are all a little different but a lot alike and they all get the job done.
    Yeah, I saved the pieces for years intending to send them to woodland but never got around to it and threw them away. They broke cleanly in pieces, two on salmon, one on a snag, and my nephew broke one at Jim Creek when he set the hook on a silver. They were not the heaviest lamiglas, but all were salmon/steelhead rods and they were my absolute favorite for fishing. I just don't trust them anymore.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Cabela's Fish Eagle II are awsome rods and cabela's also seels just the blanks so you can build your own rod which is wat I do

I like the Lamiglas Buzz Ramsey. for the money it is top of the line

Default Still looking...lamiglass?

Went rod looking a bit today after work. Pretty safe to say that while the St. Croix is VERY nice, it's also wayyy outta my price range.

I did like the Lamiglass Kenai Special very much, though it seemed a bit light/flimsy. Anyone use these consistently for reds on the russian/kenai?

They actually didn't have any salmon-sized ugly-stik there( base exchange) so I'll have to sneak down to SW sometime this week and check those out.

Jon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast