Thread: Bolt action pistols

Default Bolt action pistols

Been doing a little research on the Remington XP 100 & XP 100-R, thinking about buying a used 100-R. Curious if anyone on the forum uses one for hunting up here in Alaska.
    Also, do you forum members know of any other manufacturers that make bolt action pistols? Thanks

Savage makes one as well.

Default Weatherby

Weatherby has also made bolt action pistols off and on several different times.
    NRA Life Member, Prior F-16 crew chief.

The Savage Stryker series is a good handgun, & usually can be found much cheaper than a comporable XP. Another advantage of the Savage is that due to their barrel design they can easyly (sp?) be made into a "switch barrel" setup. With simple tools you can screw one barrel off & another on using an empty case as a headspace guage.
    Go to this forum for a world of info.
    http://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/e...m/f/3826077864
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default XP-100 in 35 remington

Had an xp-100 in 35 rem for years, think it was a silhoutte version, just sold it a year or so ago. Had a 2x Burris scope on it, I don't like a lot of magnification, especially in pistol scopes. Very accurate, used 180gr Hornady spitzer bullets made especially for single shot pistols. With the design of the stock, the gun rolls upwards nicely at the shot, so felt recoil into the hand isn't much. Got a deer and a black bear with it. Some people complain about the bolt being awkward for right-handed shooters, but I shoot handgun mostly lefty so not a problem ! They are a big piece, I either carried it cradled in my hand or in my backpack with electricians tape over the end of the barrel. Very nice guns, just wasn't using mine much.

Just checked McMillan's website and they have a fiberglass stock for the XP 100, it is a center grip design. Is the center grip a better design than the rear grip design, or the rear design better for handling recoil?

Seems to me that if a person owned a Remington Model 7 that the barrel can be cut down to say 15 or 16 inches and have it bedded in this stock and he would have a bolt action pistol. Or is there a special contour on these types of pistol barrels?
    Since this is fairly new to me I am just looking at some options here. Also wondering if the 6.8x43mm SPC would be a good choice for a bolt action pistol. Read that the bullet is actually a .277, same diameter as a 270 Winchester. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Highly illegal to shorten a rifle to a handgun.
    Remington also made the XP in 350 Rem mag. In an XP for AK, that would be my all around choice.
    Vance in AK.

"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

So if it is illegal to shorten a barreled action to say 14", 15" or 16" and mounting it into a pistol stock, what about starting the project by using an action like a Model 7 and having it barreled with a new 14" or 15" or 16" barrel and then bedding it into a McMillan Fiberglass pistol stock?
    Seems to me that both approaches accomplish the same goal which is a bolt action pistol, why is it that the first approach is considered highly illegal? Thanks for any further clarification.

Default Bolt Pistol

Wichita made some very good bolt pistols. The XP-100 pistol makes a very good base for a custom pistol as parts are available. The XR-100 is not be legal to build a pistol on unless you file a ATF class 2 ( I think; any other weapon) form. Since this would be a short barrelled rifle. I believe it costs $5.00. If you used this form any rifle could be made into a pistol, just choose your favorite, list the serial # on the form and file the form. Rifles can't have barrels less than 16".
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Welcome to the insanity that is American Firearms Law. Basically, It is legal to own an 12" barrel pistol. Such a pistol may be bolt action, single shot semiauto, whatever. The reason you can not cut down a rifle legally is that it is still technically a rifle. Remember that a firearm under federal law is the receiver. When the rifle is made it is listed as a rifle receiver. If you do anything to reduce the barrel of a rifle to less then 16" or overall length of 26" it becomes an "Other Firearm" ie not a rifle or a pistol. Legally owning an "Other Firearm" is just as difficult if not more so then owning full auto.

However, if a receiver is first given a serial number and recorded as a pistol then it has to meet the law for pistols. And can be made into a long barrel pistol. Same gun just different folder in the registration in the ATF records. As I said insane.

Note, there is a max length on pistol barrels though I can't recall it off the top of my head. If you go over you are once again in the land of "Other Firearms".

Thanks for the clarification on the law. Guess I still need to do more reading.
    Been looking at various firearms auction sites and there are a few XP 100s and XP 100-Rs listed, larger calibers are mostly 35 Remington. Probably be a good round for caribou hunting up here in Alaska.
    Would be nice to have one in 260 or 7mm-08. Wonder what the recoil would be like on the 7mm-08.
    Read that Weatherby makes the Mark V CFP in 7mm-08. Barrel is a 16" #2 contour barrel w/target crown, mag capacity: 5+1. Handgun weights 5 1/4 lbs, and has a 54 degree bolt lift comes with Talley rings and bases. Pretty expensive handgun though. MSRP $1,579.00 Probably as much as a custom job when you think about it.

Actually, thereis no max length on a pistol barrel.
    The rifle/pistol qction question even goes to the Encore & Contender line. If an Encore rame left the factory listed as a rifle frame (by serial #) that frame may not be legaly used as a handgun frame. But an Encore handgun frame can be used as a rifle frame.......

I personaly like the Encore line of handguns because of the barrel interchangability.
    7mm-08 (recoil is mild), 338 win mag or 35 whelen (had a 35 Whelen AI with a brake & recoil wasn't bad) & 450 Marlin (have one with a factory brake, & recoil is tollerable) & you've got it covered for AK hunting.
    Vance in AK.

Thanks again for the clarification.
    Just checked the T/C Encore pistol line and they have a pretty good selection of barrels available, noticed they even have a 15" barrel for the 7mm-08. Prices seem to be pretty reasonable too.
    For the bolt action Savage looks like the best price and a broader selection of calibers to choose from. Just read an 2003 article that Savage even chambered their 516FSAK in 300 WSM. Since I am not familiar with Savage firearms, do they still manufacture this handgun in WSM calibers? Thanks

Mark

Anschutz Exemplar. It's only manufactured in 22LR and 22 Hornet.

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    Highly illegal to shorten a rifle to a handgun.
    Remington also made the XP in 350 Rem mag. In an XP for AK, that would be my all around choice.
    Not if you re register it as a hand gun. Did the conversion with a bolt 30-06 for a friend back in Michigan and he registered it with no issues. You have too send the change to the feds but at least as of 1986 as long as you jumped there hoops no problem.

BTW never seen or herd of a production bolt gun with the accuracy or flexibility of the TC Encore, there's your hunting hand gun for Alaska and beyond.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    You got awesome taste there Mark, love there match guns!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    Originally Posted by Mark
    You got awesome taste there Mark, love there match guns!
    I always wanted an Exemplar in 22 Hornet, but never sprung for one.

One day.................

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    Go to this forum for a world of info.
    http://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/e...m/f/3826077864
    Thanks for the website link, interesting reading material for most of the afternoon.

Lots there. As you probably noticed you can also navigate to the main page from there, & you'll also find a forum for the break action guns like the Encore & Contender.
    Vance in AK.