Thread: Mag Primers in a 25-06?

Default Mag Primers in a 25-06?

I just picked up a 25-06 and am about to start working up loads for it. I have a large number of CCI mag primers at home I would like to use. Being rather new to reloading and since all my manuals suggest LR Primers. I was wondering if this would be ok. I will be trying 87 and 100 gr SP's to start with, and then maybe onto some Ballistic Tips in the same weight. I would also like to try the 110 gr Accubond later on as well. I have a couple pounds of RL-19 so I think I'll start there. Also does anyone have any experience with IMR-7828 and heavier bullets in the 25-06 (got lots of that too)?

Thanks, Jake

I use the LRM primers in everything because that's all I have. Use your chronograph to check your velocities.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

You can use the mag primers but they are not necessary in 25 06. Just follow the golden rule of reloading, that is start low and work up.

Magnum primers aren't needed, but they won't hurt either. They might even be useful for larger charges of powder too. I load for a 25-06 myself and i think IMR 7828 is a bit too slow for that case capacity. The heaviest weight bullet will be 120, so RL 19, IMR 4350 or IMR 4831 should work great, at least they do in my rifle. Just my 2 cents.

Default Thanks,

Yeah, I kinda figured 7828 would be on the slow side for the 25-06. I might try it with the 120's down the road. Can't blame a guy for tryin' to stay thrifty(read: CHEAP)! And I'm about done driven from store to store trying to find components.

Jake

Understood....The price of components is hurting us all.

DON"T overlook RL22! The load for my mod 70 matches Nosler Manual #4s load for the 115gr Partition exactly which is max 53.5 @3197. Also always had good luck with IMR4831 when I used the now discontinued 100gr Solid Base. I've always used CCI250s in my .25-06 and .300.

til later

Its always better to over prime than under prime!!!! Especially in hot 25.06 loads!!!1

Default Wlrm

Mine acually shoots a little better with them. I use 120 gr. Speer over 4831SC.