Thread: Changing/moving season....

Question Changing/moving season....

It has always bothered me why ADF&G (or whoever writes the rules) gave us a "bowhunting" moose season in area 13/14 from August 10-17 (hot weather, lots of folage, animals that won't respond to most any type of calling, etc...) instead of post rifle season (October) when the rut is kicking in hard.

My question is this - What would it take to get the bowhunting season moved to post rifle season so we could take advantage of the rut and would stand a considerably better chance at calling in a bull? I realize that everyone and their brother would then become bowhunters, but they would still have to take the time and make the effort to pass the IBEP certification. I really enjoy my bow, but have a very hard time getting excited about moose hunting in early August.

Any opinions? suggestions?
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

IT was brought up this year. To the Anchorage council. I forgot what they said but We did not get an Archery season at the end of gun season. We are still working on this issue.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Conversely, the bow season for sheep in 14C is in early October when the weather is turning to crap and the sheep have been chased for almost two months. It seems to me like these two are backwards - the sheep bow season should be prior to the general season, while the moose season should be afterwards.

Incidentally, I did take a moose last year right at the beginning of the general season when it was almost 70 degrees outside. Certainly not as effective as calling during the rut, but success is always possible!

-Brian

Default bow seasons

I think the early moose and late sheep seasons are what I would call "throwing a bone" to the bowhunters. I hardly ever see moose in august, mostly due to the foilage, and sheep hunting in october is very unsuccessful according to F&G reports.

The good thing is, Alaska, unlike other states, allows you to use archery gear during the regular seasons.

While I would like to see the seasons switched, I doubt most rifle-only hunters would. This is one of those situations where both groups will never be happy with what F&G decides.

Are you familiar with BoG meetings and submitting proposals, mud? Your a moderator you know, your supposed to know everything..........haha.
    Anyone can submit a proposal, mud. Do some research, talk to bio's. Get some other archers, or a group together, go to an Advisory Committee meeting. Put a proposal in to change the season dates. Maybe the BoG will go for it.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Submitting proposals works!
    It's a good process that (to my knowledge) no other state employs.

I concur with martentrapper about doing research before submitting. Getting the support of the local advisory council beforehand greatly improves your chances of approval.

My own little claim to fame with this process...do you remember when the the GMU maps in the regs didn't show what the adjacent GMU's where.

It was 1992, I was new to the state and it was aggravating to have to flip back to the front of the booklet to see what page I had to go to next (I was always interested in an area on the GMU boundry). So I submitted a proposal in 93 and when the 94/95 book came out I was pleasantly surprised to see my suggestion adopted.

On the Oct Chugach sheep hunt (DS140) I believe F&G's thinking is that the snow would push the sheep into more accessible country. I think they're wrong but I believe that's the rationale, although the "Thrown Bone" theory sounds good too.

Also, there is a similar season/weapon break down on the RG868 goat hunt. Any weapon 1 Sep to 15 Oct, Bow only 16-31 Oct

Simple they don't want you to kill anything.

Quote Originally Posted by George D
    Simple they don't want you to kill anything.
    I think you are right George, that's what it boils down to. Throwing the dog a bone!

marten - Where can I find a list of scheduled BoG meetings in my area? I may have to try following up on this.
    AKmud

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

There you go again, Mud, showing us you don't know everything!
    Go to the ADF&G website and start reading up on the BoG, when they meet, where they will be meeting, etc. Find out which Ad. Comm. represents your area, or the area you want to change. Talk to other archers. Talk to the bio for that area. Start lining up your ducks so they are all in a row when you submit your proposal. It would probably look better if a proposal came from an AC or from a bow assoc. of some sort.
    Now we know why you designed that 4 wheeler seat................to shoot a bow from! Haha.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper
    There you go again, Mud, showing us you don't know everything!
    Now when did I say I know everything?? ) I'm one of those hunters that gets the annual supplement and goes from there. I'm not as intellectually motivated as some of you guys! I just complain to my buddies when I find out they have changed a season or something for my hunting areas.

You should be proud of me! I may just take a stand and do some research and try to get this changed. (or I may go fishing....) Anyway, I appreciate the information.

I may need to camo my machine if I want to bowhunt out of it.....
    AKmud

Mud it might be good to get last years propsals and to review them. This way you don't write the same thing. Mud if you want go to the ABA fourm and ask for help writting this. I'm sure they will get you going in the right direction. I will try to find you some facts and a little research to see what I come up with .
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Thumbs up

I went to the site and looked over quite a few of them. I didn't find anything to do with bowhunting, most of the proposals dealt with predator/wolf control issues. I still have a few records to go over though.

I would appreciate any help offered. I think it would be a worthwhile cause and don't really see any downside to having the bow season be after rifle.
    AKmud

Thumbs up support

I am in support of this issue...... mud. It is time to scratch up some new opportunity's in this state for bow hunters! Is there maybe a petition we could sign?? (online)?

Akwild.

Jerry Fletcher of Fletchers Archery in Wasilla, with the help of some others, drew up a proposal for a second week of October hunt. We were even willing to go to an either/or season where you could only hunt this hunt with a bow, or hunt the September hunt with anything you wanted. It got shot down, but like many proposals it takes time and politics to get it through the system.

If you don't succed the first time try again. If we fight hard enough for this eventually we will get this changed. We bowhunter hunters need to all come foward and help with this cause.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Let's say the bow season for moose was changed in SC to October or so. What happens when someone arrows and kills a rutted bull with meat tasting like sheeit? I can see many freezers being stuffed with freezer-burnt moose meat for some reason. I believe F&G sees it that way, too.

Forgive the ignorance, but is rutting moose inedible like rutting caribou? I know that they get more "gamey" tasting, but I was under the impression that they're still palatable, unlike a bull caribou in full rut. Is this not the case?

-Brian

That would certainly be a huge boon to bowhunting. I've also wondered why the time of year least friendly to bowhunters would be the bow only time of year.

When bou rut, the hormones go thru the bloodstream.........or something like that...........and the meat becomes very distasteful. Once they quit rutting, the bad taste seems to disappear.
    Moosemeat, on the other hand, is not effected directly by the rut. What does happen is the animal quits eating, loses fat, travels alot, sleeps little, and his meat becomes tough. It is still edible, tho not as tasty as early season meat when they are fat. It Late fall moose makes fine sausage.
    Before anyone raises the cry of poor tasting meat, check seasons in other places in Alaska. There are plenty of late season hunts for rifle hunters.

Thanks for the details, marten. That confirms what I thought...

-Brian