Thread: Savage 99, finally bit the bullet

Default Savage 99, finally bit the bullet

After handling hundreds of savage 99s at gunshows and gunshops I finally broke down and bought one. It is a later model with tang safety in 308. It is one of the cleanest ones I've ever seen, looks almost new in the box. I have a leupold base on its way and a leupold 2-7 VxII that will fit just fine on it. I can't wait to get it out and shoot it. They are really a neat old rifle.

Thumbs up

Sounds like a sweet rig. Been looking for one myself in .308. That 2-7 will be sweet on there. I just put one on a Rem 760, and its about perfect for a timber rifle. Probably one of my favorites in the leupold line. Enjoy.

Such a fantastic rifle, sounds like the great find. I'm still looking for the right one. A local placed one on the "swap shop" radio, I called within 30 seconds, told him I was on the way with the cash. A 25 min. drive, and when I got there someone else showed up with 10 min. and offered him $150 more that what he was asking. Couldn't blame him, he needed the money. Even at that, he said he had about a dozen calls within 10 min. and 2 other guy were on their way to his home. It was also a 308 and called "excellent condition." Oh well!!
    The 99 is a prize if you can find a good one, and you did, Nice!

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Congratulations on your find and purchase! It sounds like a common thread for rifle loonies like us to covet the old Savage 99’s. I too have been looking and waiting for the “perfect” specimen to show up with a “reasonable” price. For me that would be one of the older ones chambered in 300 Savage that has not had the receiver drilled up like swish cheese. I also much prefer the looks of the Schnabel for end and crescent steal butt plate. I was hoping to let louse of no more than say $400 but after a couple of years of looking I have come to the conclusion that $550 is going to me a more accurate number.

Enjoy your rifle!
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

this one has the shell counter and schnabel forend pistal grip and straight butt. I'm figuring it was made in the 70s sometime. it is in 100% blueing and the wood is in pretty good shape as well. it really doesn't look like it was ever shot. the wood finish is 100% as well with no scratches or dings but you can see on the buttstock where it had swelled over the years around the underside around the lever tang and there appears to be a small crack right at the back of the top tang. its barely noticable unless you have really good light. I'm going to sneak a little glue in there and figure that will fix it all up. maybe releive some of the wood around the top tang and bed it in. i won't know until I get a chance to take the stock off and check it out though.

Default lost

i know where one is!! kind of.... my daughter lost the one my grandpa gave me (an old 300) she left it somewhere on my trapline ive looked for 2 years now!

Default savage 99

Got to tell you guys, I received a 99 lightweight, takedown, schnabel, curved steel butt, marble tang, cartridge counter, 250 savage, made I believe in the 20's according to the serial number.
    Shoots the remington factory ammo all day long off the bench, using the good ol dovetail sights, inside 1.5.
    It was a gift, you believe it???

I've always liked the 99, and one of these days I'll have one. I'd love one in 358, be happy with one in 284, will prolly have to settle for one in 308 or 300. But some day, I will have one!!! There's just something about the look of a Savage 99 that says "deep forest"!!!

Default The one I miss the most...

Out of the half dozen or so 99's I had, the one I regret losing (in the divorce) the most was a 26" round barreled rifle, straight grip, tang safety, crescent rifle buttplate .30-30. The most accurate lever gun, short of my old BLR that I've ever put to shoulder.
    The one I miss the least was a takedown .22 HiPower. Couldn't put two shots inside a barn if you were standing in it!
    Still looking for one for a project.....I want a duplicate of the .30-30 rifle, but done up as an octagon barreled .38-55.
    Last edited by Darreld Walton; 05-04-2008 at 19:56. Reason: .

Default 99

[SIZE="4"My 99C is by far my favorite rifle. With a 1.5x6 on top is it is my Deer rifle. As accurate as most bolts and much prettier....][/SIZE]

Default savage 99

I failed to mention that my first hunting trip to Vermont I borrowed my Uncle's 99 in 300 savage, had a fine crosshair 6x steel tube weaver with a wild flip mount to swing over to use the rifle sights.
    That son of a gun would make ragged holes at 100 all day long, (I had younger eyes then)
    Gosh I miss that gun. The load was near 308 Win 165 factory load, I think, was a long time ago.
    Every six months there is a local gunshow here in Greensboro NC, and every year there are 99's all over the place. 600 plus for the beautiful lever actions, a little too steep for me, someday I hope to run into one again. 300 savage, old geezer of a cartridge.

Default One I did up awhile back...

99 .30-30 carbine. Had to custom make the buttplate, combined the original flat stamped plate with the tang from a reproduction 92 Winchest SRC buttplate. Wood was pretty pricey for it's day, from Fajen, and the butt and forend were, as I recall, about $200 for the set of semi-inlet pieces. Checkered it up, and put a 'few' coats of finish on it......
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...g?t=1210042160
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...g?t=1210042385
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...g?t=1210042439

It shoots 'fairly' well, too.....

Stop it, the more you talk them up the more the price goes up. My dad has to one in 300 savage and the other in 250-3000 (250 savage) as a take down. I would love one in 358 win or 284 win to rechamber to 338-284, 35-284 or 375-284. The 338-284 equals the 338-06 and the 35-284 equals the 35 whelen. The Model 99 is an great rifle that never really got the chance to show its stuff.

Savage needs to bring these back!!!

Default 99 Savage

My first center fire rifle was a Savage 99 in 308 Win. It acounted for a load of Deer and a couple of Elk hunting in SW Colorado. I started collecting them a few years ago. The following are in my safes 303 Sav, 25-35 Win, 30-30, 243, 308, 284, 358, 300 (2), 250-3000, and 375 Win. Still looking for a 22 HP and 38-55. Fine rifles and fun to hunt with. Hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

Default Got Some Pics

I got my scope mount today and mounted that leupold 2-7 on the savage. Looks and handles pretty good. Can't wait to see how she shoots.

Interesting, I have not seen a 99 with such a short barrel, what is its length? The down side of scoping the 99 is that most all of the butt stocks are made to be used with iron sights. The scope usually sits so high that only your chin touches the stock when your eye is inline with the scope.

The Winchester and Marlin lever guns have the same problem. I had a friend with a scoped Marlin and I had a Winchester with a receiver peep sight. It was actually easier, faster and more accurate to shoot with the peep sight because it allowed good cheek weld. Of coarse maybe we both just had short heads.

I am not arguing against scopes in general. However, if you put one on a rifle with a stock not designed to be used with one, you are likely to be disappointed.

It has a 22" barrel, I think it was made around 1971. Its actually not too bad with the scope. Maybe I have a "fat" head, but its definately not a strain to use the scope. I like ghost rings for rifles intended for dangerous game, but this is going to be well suited to the 2-7 leupy.

Interesting, most of the later 99's (post 1920) I see have pistol grip stocks. Not straight.

Looking at your picture again I see why I thought the barrel was short. The Forstock is much shorter then most.

Like I said interesting, one of the rarer 99's I have seen.

As for the scope, If it fits you that is all that matters. I Defiantly have a short, fat head so I need a high butt stock. Some of the later 99's had a montecarlo(sp) butt stock that was designed for use with at scope.

Smile An American icon

Quote Originally Posted by Thebear_78 View Post
    After handling hundreds of savage 99s at gunshows and gunshops I finally broke down and bought one. It is a later model with tang safety in 308. It is one of the cleanest ones I've ever seen, looks almost new in the box. I have a leupold base on its way and a leupold 2-7 VxII that will fit just fine on it. I can't wait to get it out and shoot it. They are really a neat old rifle.
    You got yourself one fine lever-action. Should be a nice combo (cal/scope) for you up in
    the frozen north.
    Now all you need to find is a "99" in .358. Ya, good luck on that one.
    I`ve got (2) a 99F in .250 and a 99R in .300 Sav. Both pri-mil and original. The "R" carries nice and shoots the same. Got an "old" Weaver 3X on top.
    You`ve got yourself an American Icon there, enjoy.

Default I agree

Quote Originally Posted by Sav .250 View Post
    You got yourself one fine lever-action. Should be a nice combo (cal/scope) for you up in
    the frozen north.
    Now all you need to find is a "99" in .358. Ya, good luck on that one.
    I`ve got (2) a 99F in .250 and a 99R in .300 Sav. Both pri-mil and original. The "R" carries nice and shoots the same. Got an "old" Weaver 3X on top.
    You`ve got yourself an American Icon there, enjoy.
    I've got one in 358, as well as others including a couple of 250's and a 284. Gotta say that the 308 is somehow the most versatile and handy of the lot. It puts just enough more ooomph behind heavy bullets than the 300 Savage to make it notable. I'll use them interchangeably with lighter bullets, but with 180's, I definitely prefer th 308.