Thread: Kodiak contacts

Default Kodiak contacts

My wife and I are moving to Kodiak in late July, and I am seeking contacts in the area. I do great lakes river guiding for salmon and steelhead, I am an avid bowhunter for deer, and do it all as much as I can. I am the one who gets up 3 hours before sunup to secure the honey hole, I am the one who fillets all the fish, I am the one who drives the truck and the boat. The point is, I put in serious effort in whatever I like to do. I am looking for fishing buddies, and hunting buddies, and most of all, I am looking for an apartment for my wife and I and our 5 month old daughter. If anyone wants to mentor a Minnesotan, please respond. If anyone knows of an apartment for rent in town, please let me know. Looking forward to the move! Thanks, Jason

Default renting

Some websites to check.
    alaska1realty.com
    soldonkodiak.com
    kodiakdailymirror.com

secure something soon as the coast gaurd is doing a big change over this year

mnfish365,
    By any chance are you a coastie? If so shoot me a pm. I'm headed there myself this summer ( second tour in Kodiak) I may be able to give you some gouge.
    At sea, it's force not reason that confers sovereign rights

No, I'm not in the Coast Guard but I am wondering if I have to join just to get some housing! We can't find anything and have been looking for a few weeks pretty hard. I still have time, but am starting to worry. My wife took a teaching job, and I plan on continuing my guide business as soon as I learn the island. In the meantime, I am the designated meat provider and child care provider in the household. If I can catch these finicky great lakes spawners I'll be in heaven on Kodiak. I have been led to believe the silvers actually bite up there!

Yeah housing can be tough, especially this time of year. Things should loosen up around June-July when the Coasties that are transfering start to leave. Keep bugging the realtors. I'll ask around and see if anyone that's leaving is renting a place that meets your needs. It sounds like your looking for a two bedroom place?
    Yep, the silvers bite up there, but remember it's still fishing. It's great to have the opertunity to suppliment your diet with fish, but don't count on it to provide all the protien in your diet. Bottom line, just like everywhere else some years the runs are great and some years there not so good.
    Of course it's never bad because even the days you don't catch fish your still fishing in Alaska and it just doesn't get any better than that ( for me anyway). Anyway enough with the bad poetry.

Thanks Guns, I will just about take anything at this point. I was told to take whatever I can that offers a month to month lease, and then look for something more permanent when it comes after the summer rush. We are downsizing our "stuff" and don't mind tight quarters for a little while. Keep coming with the info, you guys are great! I hope to meet a few of you when I get there. So far on the list- My stainless 338, stainless 50 cal muzzleloader, My 3 bows and my wife's bow, 1000+ spoons and spinners, 4 bulk spools of line and all fishing gear. A few camping items and packs, baby stuff, and good clothing. Anything else to add? Everyone says to buy a boat and atv when I get there.

Default Hang In There

Something will come open. I still have some active duty friends that can look around for departing CG family. What can you folks afford?

Also, places to stay away from are Thorsheim, Jackson's, Lilly Lake Condos just to name a few.

I work on the board of directors for the local charter association and may be able to find you some crew work aboard a charter boat if you want. Let me know.

We would like to spend no more than 1400 a month, less would be great. We missed a mobile home that went for $25000. It was probably a dump, but for that kind of money, I would think we could have made it work. I would like to find a deckhand job or something like that, just for the experiance. Keep it coming folks, every little bit helps!

Along with the 3 websites above you can also try Larsen Propeties, they have a lot of rentals here. (907) 486-3825
    Most landlords don't want a month to month. The best we could find was a 6 month lease then we extended it 3 months until we were able to close on a house.

Quote Originally Posted by mnfish365 View Post
    We would like to spend no more than 1400 a month, less would be great. We missed a mobile home that went for $25000. It was probably a dump, but for that kind of money, I would think we could have made it work.
    It had to be a dump. You can't get a crack house for 25,000 on Kodiak. It was probably in Jackson's trailer park and that place is to be avoided.

I'd take a crack house right about now. Maybe I'll have to bring my camper up if I can't find anything. Anybody have a lot I can set up my camper on? I wish I was kidding.

Do not move into Jackson trailer park! Larsen properties is decent i live in one of there properties out in bells flats where she allows pets we have a two bed/one bath and we pay 1200 a month. If you are coming up here in May-July you should be able to find a decent place to rent due to all of the CG transfers.