Thread: Seasport fuel economy engine questions

Default Seasport fuel economy engine questions

I have a 95 Seasport with a 5.0 liter engine with a 2 barrel carb intake. how could I improve my fuel economy. I normaly run about 3300 rpm seems to be the sweet spot at around 26 kts. Can you convert to fuel injection if so is it expensive . Any ideas would be great to help cut down fuel cost this summer. Thanks for any ideas Also how many hrs can you put on this engine before it needs a rebuild.

I have a 91' Sea Sport (305 Chevy) and it has well over a thousand hours on it and I just replace the things around it, alternator, plug wires, distributor, coil, whatever, and she runs like a top! (I have four trucks and one has over 265k miles and it still runs.) My RPM and knots is exactly what your sweet spot is! My buddy has the same boat with a diesel, I don't know his RPM, but his speed is the same, they don't go much faster apparently. I have a floscan, yet to hook up, and hopefully will get more dialed in this summer. I know it gets consistently the same gas mileage until you overload it to the point of making it settle lower in the water, then things change. Gas mileage fix: Don't know other than less weight and tune ups.

Default Sea Sport

Converting a cab boat to fuel injection will not get you any better mileage. Lose some of the extra weight, check your prop's for correct pitch and size. Make sure your bottom is clean.

In my opinion, the best thing that you can do (at least to start out) is to install a fuel flow meter and then go from there.

What is your present economy and what size is your boat?
    Tennessee

Default Not quite a seasport ... Osprey 26 lc

The biggest boost in efficency I experienced was going from aluminum to stainless steel props ... about 2 mph at 3400 rpm cruse. I am running with Volvo Penta 5.7 GI (280 hp) with the Duoprop. outdrive. The downside is the props cost an additional $800.00.

The biggest problem I have with fuel economy is to stay at 3400 rpm, I love to go fast when the seas permit ....

Just curious as to what you guys are burning at cruising speed. I have a 24 foot boat and wanted to compare. Not running full speed all the time will help out immensely. Carbs dump a lot of unnecessary fuel in. I can't believe that swapping to EFI would do nothing for economy. If that was the case, major manufacturers would still be using carbs.

Our boat is a 24 footer (XL). With three adults on board we average about 2-2.3 mph cruising around 2,900- 3,000 rpms at about 27-28 mph. My memory is a little fuzzy at the rpms since its been almost a year.
    Engine is the 8.1 375 hp running the stainless duroprops. Top speed if I want to push it is in the middle 40's but the Floscan looks really ugly when we do this!
    Tennessee

I burn between 7-9 gallons per hour in my 24 foot boat. I am still trying to get the props dialed in after 4 years of owning it. I think it's time for something different on them. That is cruising around 19-22 mph. Seems like it could be better but the boat is rather heavy.

Default 22' Sport

I'm not sure what I'm buring for fuel now I just fueled and ran last year. I just figured I would ask if there were some secret tips I could pick up here to save on fuel this year. I have a 22' SS. It has duel stainless props on now they seem to work well. I think I will place one of those fuel flow meters ans see what happens. thanks for the info keep it coming