Thread: 35 Cal 225 Nosler BT

Default 35 Cal 225 Nosler BT

Anyone have experience with this bullet? I picked some up for a song at a yard sale of all places. It seems to me that I read somewhere that they were a little too tough and did not expand well on smaller game. One of my favorites is a 358 Win that I would load these for. I do like the 225 Partition in this caliber, probably my favorite bullet for my 358's.

Hey Dorm, I tried those Nosler 225 grain BT in my .358 Winchester and they are too long. There is a note about them being too long for the 358 Win. in the Nosler Reloading Manual. My favorite bullet at this time is the Sierra 225 grain Game King. What's your favorite load? Gun Hunter

Hi Gun Hunter

I use the 200 grain Hornady spire point for deer and like the 225 Nosler Partition for heavier game like elk or moose. The 358 is one of my favorite calibers for woods hunting.

Talking

Hey Dorm, if those are too long I think you could persuade me to take them off your hands!

Hi Aknewbie. I also have a 35 whelen so they should fit that. I usually load 250 grain for it but these should make for cheap practice!

Quote Originally Posted by dorm View Post
    Anyone have experience with this bullet? I picked some up for a song at a yard sale of all places. It seems to me that I read somewhere that they were a little too tough and did not expand well on smaller game. One of my favorites is a 358 Win that I would load these for. I do like the 225 Partition in this caliber, probably my favorite bullet for my 358's.
    I am loading the 225gr partition with 46.5 grs of H4895, win brass, and federal 210M primers in the 358win. The MV from my 20.5 inch barrel is 2430fps. I also use the hornady 200gr spire point for deer. Its accuracy load is 46.8grs of H4895 for a MV of 2490fps, 48.7 is listed max load but this is where my rifle groups them best.

Nosler states the 338 and up b-tips are for elk sized game and i have seen these loaded in a 35rem bolt gun and they shed their cores at the lower velocities (MV2000fps). The jacket opens a bit and stops while the heavy unexpanded core keeps going.

How does the 225 partition work on deer? May be the 200 spire is not needed for fast kills on deer?

Quote Originally Posted by tjen View Post
    I am loading the 225gr partition with 46.5 grs of H4895, win brass, and federal 210M primers in the 358win. The MV from my 20.5 inch barrel is 2430fps. I also use the hornady 200gr spire point for deer. Its accuracy load is 46.8grs of H4895 for a MV of 2490fps, 48.7 is listed max load but this is where my rifle groups them best.

Nosler states the 338 and up b-tips are for elk sized game and i have seen these loaded in a 35rem bolt gun and they shed their cores at the lower velocities (MV2000fps). The jacket opens a bit and stops while the heavy unexpanded core keeps going.

How does the 225 partition work on deer? May be the 200 spire is not needed for fast kills on deer?
    Looks like you have some good loads there, very close to what I use. I have been so happy with the 200 Hornady for deer size game that I just never looked any farther at other loads. I know of someone that even uses them on elk, with excellet results. No matter I still like the 225 Nosler partition for the bigger stuff.

Surprised to hear about the performance of the 225 BT that you note. I have taken deer sized game with other BT's in 270 and 30 cal's with no problems.

Its just a fluke that happens when not driven fast enough it may have been at 100 yards. There great from a whelen. This was with wet phone books and the 35 rem. Go to marlinowners.com and check on posts from "35remington" for bullet test. If you want loads for whats offered in the 336 like the 45-70, 444, 35rem, 356win, 30-30, check there they know their stuff. I got my 35rem 200gr@ 2200fps load there and the 220gr@ 2100fps too.