Thread: Any word on this S.A. Sharkskin line?

Default Any word on this S.A. Sharkskin line?

I have one buddy who used this Scientific Angler Sharkskin line for his winter fishing. He can't say enough good about it so I figured while I wait to buy a spool, at least till the water opens with the longest break up I remember, I was wondering, what others may have heard or seen?

Anybody tried this stuff?
    Last edited by River Runnin; 05-03-2008 at 02:15. Reason: stupid typo
    River Runnin

i got some this winter, and have mixed feelings about it. it does cast and mend well, and float high in the water. i'm not sure that it is worth 100 bucks. i feel the biggest downer is it makes a lot of noise when it passes through you guides.

bottom line, would i buy it again? sure. i mean after all, what is another 100 bucks when it comes to fishing?

Default Good stuff...

I tried some out last month. Good stuff. I used the 4 wt on a Scott S3. Very good line speed and distance. There is a sound to it as it goes through the guides. I actually liked it. Not too loud. Is it worth $100? That is hard to answer. $100 is more to some people than others. I say, if you have a rod you use a WF line on often, and have some money to spend, why not. It is great line. With that being said, the Scientific Anglers GPX that I usually use is a real pleasure to cast and has similar/same distance and line speed. The real test for the Sharkskin will be in the long term. With the little time I have spent, I suspect it will fair very well. High quality stuff.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

$100 for a fly line? I don't think so...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by n8r View Post
    i got some this winter, and have mixed feelings about it. it does cast and mend well, and float high in the water. i'm not sure that it is worth 100 bucks. i feel the biggest downer is it makes a lot of noise when it passes through you guides.

bottom line, would i buy it again? sure. i mean after all, what is another 100 bucks when it comes to fishing?
    What the - - - - is up with that sharkskin? Are you kidding me? I tried that stuff the other day on several demo rods, compared it to something common like lazerline. If you think it makes noise on scotts, it is much worse going through the guides on sage rods, and it doesn't cast as accurately, for me. It may have some advantages with winter fishing that I don't know of but I would not buy it, and I'm not sure I would use it if they gave it away for free.

i tried casting it in a parking lot on a demo rod before i bought it and wasn't very impressed. i thin that a person needs to cast it on the river, with a few different flys. it really does pick up off the water well and cast well. just not that much better than other quality lines.

Ah, come on, you guys should know by now that at least 1/2 of the flyfishing economy is based on hype! How else could they sell $50 nippers and flyboxes. Lots of rich *******s flyfish though...lol. Those fancy pack things always make me laugh...you know with the "hydration bladders" and whatnot...only $299.99, what a deal! Maybe, just maybe, if you could easily fill them with beer

Maybe I should bite the bullet and just become a Yuffie (yound urban flyfisherman)....Oh wait, state pay sux...

Sounds like the line would sing a song with my recoil guides...I'll pass. Seriously, if these lines are still on the market in two years, I'd be shocked.

For $100, buy a Versi-tip. Much better value. Or buy the GPX and some new nippers

Talking

Maybe, just maybe, if you could easily fill them with beer

mmmmm.......beer!

Quote Originally Posted by Skookumchuck View Post
    Ah, come on, you guys should know by now that at least 1/2 of the flyfishing economy is based on hype! How else could they sell $50 nippers and flyboxes. Lots of rich *******s flyfish though...lol. Those fancy pack things always make me laugh...you know with the "hydration bladders" and whatnot...only $299.99, what a deal! Maybe, just maybe, if you could easily fill them with beer
    I had beer in mind when you mentioned the packs before I even read it... I like those rafting vests that hold the water bottle in your chest under your chin, perfect for a beer bottle!
    River Runnin