Thread: northriver?

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default northriver?

does marita sea and ski still have the northriver line?
    dont remember seeing too many at the show and marita is not listed on northrivers website as a distributor.

Default North River

I don't think they do. I just came back from Roseburg, Oregon. Test drove and ended up making a deal on a North River 28' Offshore. She's a beauty!! I take delivery in 11 days.

Default Northriver is factory dealers only now

Marita Sea and Ski is not factory owned so they are not able to carry NR.

No North River Dealers in Alaska. Marita will work on North Rivers, but nothing warranty like the hull/welds. North River is taking a different business model. Only selling through a small number of factory owned dealerships. Also, they are going to build fewer sport boats and focus on commercial boats. Heard they laid off quite a few employees. I own a North River and am disappointed that they have no representation in Alaska. Not sure how they will work warranty claims up here. Anyone have an idea?

I'm betting you call them with warranty issues and they send you to someone they have a history with to get the work done. Lets hope this is how it works or we may be screwed.

Default Going under is what I have heard from a

few different sources. His wife left him, she had the MONEY that supported his business. To much of a liabilty for Marita to carry boats that might go under any time. Lay offs doesn't look good. Plus hard for dealers to get loans to buy his boats to resell, because his company is so unstable. Ask the guys at Marita, they will give you the run down. Plus heard it from a boat appraiser who was supposed to look at my boat, decided not to sell. Then my boat builder also heard the same thing. That is why they are not sold in AK any more.

Default intresting

i know when i bought my northriver from the boat show in 05 marita sold quite a few of them. seems liek a bad choice on northrivers part break ties with marita. maybe the latter rumors are true. maybe ill swing in monday and talk to Wade and see whats up.

Quote Originally Posted by Western View Post
    No North River Dealers in Alaska. Marita will work on North Rivers, but nothing warranty like the hull/welds. North River is taking a different business model. Only selling through a small number of factory owned dealerships. Also, they are going to build fewer sport boats and focus on commercial boats. Heard they laid off quite a few employees. I own a North River and am disappointed that they have no representation in Alaska. Not sure how they will work warranty claims up here. Anyone have an idea?
    For now, they are still selling them here in Juneau, at Willy's Marine. They told me that North River wanted them to double their sales, which they cant do, so they will soon stop selling North River. But for now, they still are, and have also recently received several new boats. Apparently, Norht River is claiming that they can service all of Alaska from their Seattle stores. That's too bad... North River makes a nice boat.

Seems like a bad choice for North River to break ties with A LOT of their former dealers. Those dealers, at least the ones i have talked to from WA to ANCH, were passionate about those boats. The guys at Bayside Outboards in Everett, WA were the reason I have bought two NR's because they SOLD that brand to me. Oh well, this factory crap sucks for the buyer and former retailers. True, you may get a better price, but where's the level of customer service going to be from a factory store in a few years? Fortunately, i got my 21' seahawk at a steal from a previous NR dealer and probably wont need another.

Default North River

Akrstabout is right they have gone from building 25 boats a week to 10 now the ex wife's family supported the company with $$$$$ now since she is gone they have to hit the bank for $$$$$.
    They are switching over to building more commercial boats but will still build smaller ones. The dealer here got tired like many other NR dealers of the company stores selling around the local dealers and cutting the local guys price buy $10-$15,000 dollars. I know several guys that did this.
    The dealers felt why try to sell one here when the customer would call NR down south and get a better price from the factory. They still don't offer a warranty for the offshore boats for more than 5 years??????

Default NR

NR also closed down the Almar plant that they had purchased in WA years ago. NR bought them to tool up to build the big Sea Hawk offshore models, they used the Almar guys to get them started out. This winter NR rolled the Almar shop into the Roseberg NR shop.

The Hamilton Jet guys told me a year and a half ago Nr was their biggest jet customer now Thunder Jet and Custom Weld are the top guys as far as 212 users.

Default North River is not breaking the ties

It is the dealers breaking NR off. Too risky when you put in orders and the manufactur can't get loans to build what you sold. So they just eliminated the risk. Marita is supposed to be getting some shipments of deep sea Fish Rite boats and another brand they had at the boat show but sold out of. Might be worth a look. Plus the appraiser who was gonna look at my boat said Hewes Crafts are made better and hold their value better than the NR. That surprised me because I thought NR looked like very nice boats.

I'd get a second opinion on the North River vs. Hewes build and value. I'm no appraiser, but have looked at both boats.

as far as i am concerned hewes craft boats are far better for the money. you get more boat for less $. a couple of years ago i did about a six month research into this before i bought my boat. the boat has held up well with no problems as of yet. i do have plans to upgrade the boat but that is what i like to do. it does not have a few things that others offer but those out weight the the price difference. very happy with my boat and only will upgrade to a bigger one not upgrade to another brand. i ended up with a 22' sea runner the ocean pro was not available neither was the cuddies, well next time. jeff

i havebnt looked hewescrafts over real well but i know my northriver commander is built pretty stocky. heres the specs for both boats in similar fashion.

http://www.hewescraft.com/220_sr.shtml

http://www.northriverboats.com/boatm...odeloverview/7

some of the features that caught my eye are the bottom guage, the dry weight, the overall length, the beam and so on. so in my opinion the hewes craft may be less money but is NOT more boat. the hewes 22 sea runner is not even really 22 feet long.

I think in the 22' boat range the Hewes Ocean Pro is hard to beat for the price.

http://www.hewescraft.com/220_sr_op.shtml

24'3" in length, 102" beam, 84" bottom,. Very Stable boat.

I am ready for an upgrade to a cuddy style take the family fishing for 4 days type boat. Thus the upgrade.... For the fairweather day fishing rig, very happy with the Hewes.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!