Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sheep boots-can't decide

Default Sheep boots-can't decide

Heading up to the Brooks range for a first sheep hunt in August and have the option of my Cabela Outfitter hunting boots I wear for all my hunting and just love OR some new Asolo AFs Guide plastic mountaineering boots.

The Asolo's are a recent acquisition, thinking I'd use them for the sheep hunt, but I find them heavier and not as comfortable to walk in on my 3 mile test hikes on mountain trails.

We will be hiking maybe 10 miles before we actually begin hunting. I wish I could bring both(the Cabelas for the hike in and the Asolo for the steep stuff) but obviously can't.

any thoughts?

Default Boots.....

I'd go with the comfortable Cablelas boots over the plastics, especially in the Brooks where the country is better hiking on average. I've never really seen the need to wear a true mountaineering boot while sheep hunting (Goats a different story!) The situations where they would have been nice accounts for less than 5% of the overall climbing I'm sure. I prefer to use what will be the most comfortable and usefull to me the other 95%. Just my opinon. Good luck.

Default Go comfy

If they're not comfortable for you on a 3 mile, that is only going to multiply on back to back daily hikes. Go with what your feet like. The Meindl Alaskan Hunter, sold thru Cabelas is my mountain boot of choice.
    Have a good time.

Actually I think some people do bring both in. I use Lowa sheep hunters for my mountain boots. I heard somewhere that there were quit a few people brought in for broken legs from a bad slide with the plastic boots last year. Never used them and probably never will. With a 10 mile hike I would go with the Cabelas boots. Less chafing and blisters I would suspect. Good luck!

Default boots

I have been hunting the Brooks for sheep since '93 - leave the plastics at home.

Default Need to try on Kenetreks

Own a pair of Meindl Teton IIs myself, but tried on a pair of Kenetreks down at the Sportsman's show in Anchorage this year and they feel better than any boot that I've ever put on my foot. Something to think about if you have an opportunity to try them on.

Yes do not bring the plastics. I would go with a good leather boot you feel extremely comfortable in. Your going to be doing alot of sidehilling and up and down and you do not want your feet sore after an hour. Get a good pair and begin working em in.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeJoe View Post
    but tried on a pair of Kenetreks down at the Sportsman's show in Anchorage
    What store was selling them?

Sportsman's has the Kenetreks.

Another thought is the weight of the boot. I'm not an expert, but having extra weight on your feet all day for every single step you take adds up. Also figuring into the equation is how nimble you are. You will be much happier with a boot that you can get around in better, aren't clunking your heavy feet together, and are walking easily.

+1 on the Cabela's Alaska Hunters plus a comfortable pair of insoles. Used them in the Talkeetnas in '05 for a sheep hunt.
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

Lundy,

Concider investing in a good pair of Russell Moccasin's, made in the good ole USA and built specifically for the comfort of your foot...

Default Lowa's

I use them and they are the most comfortable boot I have ever worn. I would like to try the Kennetrek's, but won't be buying any until the Lowa's wear out, if I think they are better.

Default Hadn't seen

the Kenetreks at Sportsman's, but I''ll be on the lookout.

The Kenetrek company rep was at the Show...that's where I tried them.

Default Best Boots in the world

Any boot is good enough....

What is more important is what is your your heart.

I've seen Afghan teenagers navigate some of the toughest terrain I've ever been in wearing tennis shoes without laces.

I understand it is fun to plan your packing list, but....remember what is really important.

If you can't suck it up...stay at home

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Perhaps those Afghan teens would have been even more impressive in a pair of Lowa's!!

Sucking it up is critical, but so is quality gear...that works for you (even if its a pair of nikes).

Default Cabelas Alaskan Hunters by Miendel

I have tried many different boots for both my job and for walk in hunting. There many new boots out there that may be better but until I have personally or somebody I really trust has tried them I will not recommend them to anybody. For the type of hunting you plan on doing I would recommend the non-insulated Cabelas Alaskan Hunters by Miendel. I have used these boots on numerous walk in hunts and love them. I also know quiet a few hunters who I really trust their opinion when it comes to field equipment who swear by these boots.

Proís
    -Good ankle support but not so much that it is uncomfortable to use on flat ground
    -Very durable, they hold up to abuse from side hilling scree or shale slopes
    -Good traction on rock, mud, snow and ice.

Conís
    -Very hard to dry once wet so donít wear them when crossing glacier streams go bare foot!
    -Takes a little time to break in properly but any good boot will. Make sure to break in on both steep and flat ground.
    -These boots are not intended for sitting in one place when the temps are below freezing. You need to be moving to keep feet warm when it is cold.

I believe there are numerous post in the archives about this topic. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskainfNCO View Post
    Any boot is good enough....

What is more important is what is your your heart.

I've seen Afghan teenagers navigate some of the toughest terrain I've ever been in wearing tennis shoes without laces.

I understand it is fun to plan your packing list, but....remember what is really important.

If you can't suck it up...stay at home
    I'm with ya on that, but now put 120lb pack on full of sheepy goodness and they might have some trouble.

Sere.ak:

I am glad to hear you like the Cabella's AK Hunters. I am bringing a pair of these in 800 gram Thinsulate to a Griz/Sheep hunt this year in Unit 20. They did take a while to break in. I would say well over 30 miles on the rocky hills here in AZ. They are hard to lace since they are 16" boots. However, the have good ankle protection, are double water proof (Gore-Tex and waxed leather) and provide excellent traction.

Default Why I don't like Meindl from Cabelas is...

because there is no quality control on the boots. My partner bought a pair and so did I. We both wear size 13. Putting both boots side by side, I was shocked to see the difference in the different seems, etc. The tongues on my boots were an inch lower, etc. When climbing, my boots would "bite" into the top of my foot, therefore, I had to sidehill more which sucks anyways. Sent my boots back immediately and bought Lowa's. I took them out of the box and on a sheep hunt. Best boots and most comfortable boots I have ever had on. I have owned many pairs of boots since I started sheep hunting 14 years ago and the Lowa's are the best hands down. Good luck with your choice!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast