Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calling Moose

Default Calling Moose

Can anyone give me some advice on calling Moose. I purchased a Bull Magnet a few yrs back and haven't being able to call or get any kind of response with it.
    How long should I wait between calls?
    When should I give up on a that location?
    Should I be in a tree stand?
    I purchased a bunch of hot cow piss from Canada a few years back and didn't have any luck, has anyone ever used scent to attract the bulls?

Default moose calling

Definitely buy the love and thunder videos as you will learn everything about calling moose and they are very entertaining.

I can't recommend Wayne Kubats "Love Thunder & Bull" volumes 1 & 2 videos enough. They are PACKED with in the field footage of how, where, when, what. Very thorough & complete. Money well spent IMO....Do a Google search for 'em, or if ya live in Anchorage I believe Marc has 'em at Wiggy's....

I have tried several calls but found nothing to work as good as the old shoe string inside the coffee can.

Make that three recommedations and votes for the Love Thunder and Bulls videos. All your questions will be answered by an expert. And Marc does have them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Fireman
    Can anyone give me some advice on calling Moose. I purchased a Bull Magnet a few yrs back and haven't being able to call or get any kind of response with it.
    How long should I wait between calls?
    When should I give up on a that location?
    Should I be in a tree stand?
    I purchased a bunch of hot cow piss from Canada a few years back and didn't have any luck, has anyone ever used scent to attract the bulls?

Im sure you are going to get alot of different opinions on this one. I dont think there are any specific rules to follow on calling moose. People develope what works for them and reifne it as they go.

To answer a few of your questions in my opinion.
    how long to wait between calling I go with 20-30 minutes between sets.
    One thing poeple do is when they have a bull answering and you know hes coming you tend to over call. you can lose a moose doing this. When they are coming they already have pinpionted your location. If you overcall it will give him more information than he needs and up the chances he will think somthing is not quite right. When a bull gets wary he will circle and come in downwind. thats where the scent question comes in.

I use it myself, however I cant prove that it works or doesnt work, but I dont think it hurts.

When to give up on a location? I have shot moose after calling the area the day before. The most important thing is to start where you know there is moose activity Rut pits, beds,etc..

I will do what I call prime an area. I will calll until dark and then be there at first light the next morning. doesnt always work , but it helps. you dont want to keep moving around calling here and there if you do get a moose to go to the area you called the night before and you are off calling a different spot the next morning it is counterproductive.

Treestand? Better visibility keeps your scent off the ground. I dont see any problem with using a treestand, but it is not always practical.

Moose calling comes with experiance. Some get lucky sooner than others. I started trying to moose call when I was 17. I come from a long line of old school moose hunters any noise was bad noise to them. The first moose I called in was a 57" bull it quickly started changing minds in hunting camp.

Every time you get a moose to come in you gain experiance and knowledge file it away and use it. Practice after season.

I have found that later in the season most of the large bulls will have their cows. Keeping track of 5-10 females is a task, I cant keep track of 1, anyway things change when they have a large harem. They stop coming long distances to get a cow. they make a rut pit and the cows come to them. the bull will make several rut pits and visit them often. you can change up you techniques start with bull calls challenge him and make him think hes got competition for his cows. He wont always leave his cows, but he will make some noise and you can sneak in on him.

Smaller bulls( tweeners) will usually sneek in to your cow calls. You wont always hear them coming they will just appear. They have been kicked out of the herd by larger bulls and they are trying to pick off a cow with out getting their butts kicked.

One thing I think is funny and I will get some critisism for this is moose are alot like people. try challenging the ones with everything and they will want to fight for it. Try coaxing the ones with nothing.

I can go on for days on this subject, I hope you get alot of info on this topic.
    Nothing is more fun than calling moose, and it is a very useful tool in making you a consistant freezer filler.

Good luck

Default First time...

Actually, the first time I actually broke down and tried it was also the only time I've done it.
    I watched the video before I headed up. To be honest, I thought it was pretty much a ton of BS. Anyhow, to make a short story long, here's what I did...
    I found a tree on the edge of the butte where we'd been dropped off. We'd spotted tracks through that spot, so figured after a couple of days of watching that I'd try to 'call'. I found a branch on the ground a bit bigger than my arm, and raked it up one side of the tree, then down, banged on the trunk, made sure that I broke some of the small dry limbs off, then started again raking it. Kept that up for two or three minutes, then used my hands and bellered. I had to make sure that the other guys weren't around, because I sure as hell didn't want to take the ribbing I was sure to get...well, not a minute after I stopped, it sounded like a freight train busting through the brush up the ridge and there's no doubt he was headed straight for ME! It then occured to me that I'd left my rifle leaned against a tree some 30 feet behind me, and me scurrying up to get it must've not sounded right, because he never would break the ridge to give me a shot.
    I flew out early that afternoon. Mike, one of the other fellas in our group, used the same stick on the same tree, and busted the 54" four tined bull that came in for him the next morning!
    I figure to go up this fall and see if the same thing won't bring in a Shirras for me to photograph. (tags are just a mite tough to come by here in Idaho, so I'll have to make do with 'track soup' and a picture this year...)

Default Great advice here!

Fireman,

NorthRiver pretty much nailed it here, and I don't have a lot to add. It's clear that he's been there and done that several times.

I think one of the biggest mistakes moose hunters make is giving up too soon. If you make yourself sit there for at least three hours after you call, your success rate will go up significantly. I agree with "priming" an area too, though I never thought of it that way. Great analogy. I usually do a round of calling just before turning in at night. You wouldn't believe how often a bull will come in at night and circle the area out of curiosity. Sometimes in the morning he'll still be there, so be really quiet as you unzip the tent and go through your morning routine.

I would also avoid the temptation to move around a lot. If you're hunting elk in one of the western states, you have to be proactive because you're looking for an entire herd, that is frequently on the move. But moose aren't like that as a rule. Bring a lawn chair and a good book; it's a waiting man's game.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

We did a round of calling one evening before calling it a night and about 2 a.m. we had bull grunting outside our tent, of course it was way to dark to see but we could smell him and knew he was close by. Naturally he was no where to be found the next morning. Always be aware when your in camp, we've had bulls sneak in on us and bust us before we even knew they were coming, they might be big and ugly but they are not stupid. So i'd be careful about calling from camp irght before bed time, you never know what your calling might bring into camp.

One issue with calling is many GMU's have the moose season before the rut really get's going, especially with the relatively warm falls we've had the past several years.

I know calling works best later in the season but it is still an effective method of locating bulls.

Pre rut calling in my opinion is some of the most productive. After 2 or 3 good frosts the bulls start getting interested. That is usually when the bachelor groups of bulls break up and start looking.

This doesnt mean they are rutting yet, but they come the longest distance to cow calls.

My brother and I have a standing joke that any larger bull who is alone after the 12th of sept is a "gimme". We may not shoot him, but chances are good we will get him to come to a cow call.

If you look at my post above I am talking about later in the rut when the moose are gathered up. Thats when you will get the bulls to come to a fight, but you wont get them to leave 5 cows to get 1. You see what I'm saying?

I have a rule that I never come off to strong when I am challenging a bull who has cows with him. I have seen mid 40" bulls with 4 or 5 cows gather them up and start leaving the area when I am coming at him with bull grunts and tree scraping. Think about this one, a bull who has some cows and he knows hes not the dominant bull would rather take what he has than fight for what he stands to lose to a bigger bull. Dont overdo it with your challange if he is the dominant bull in the area he will fight no matter how small you make yourself sound.

One other thing is if the weather gets cold for a few days and then suddenly warms up it will turn off the pre rut activity.

To sum up I would start with almost exclusivly cow calls after the 10th-12th of September. I think the earliest that any GMU closes for moose is the 15th.
    Last edited by northriver21; 08-09-2006 at 12:35.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
    I have tried several calls but found nothing to work as good as the old shoe string inside the coffee can.

Snowwolf,
    I started with the coffe can and never had any success. What I have learned since then is that the sound your coffee can makes is a sort of loud roar.

I have heard cows make this exact sound when they are warning thier calf of danger. I have also seen cows make this sound when a bull is really getting on their nerves and they dont want him around.

I'm glad to hear you have had success with this, maybe I should add it back to the routine.

Bottom line is if the moose are out looking it may not make a diff what sound you use,LOL

Talking Love To Call

I Usually Don't Even Hunt For Moose Until The 15th Of September, I Have Had Huge Success Calling. The Last Three Years I Have Shot 3 50+ In Bulls In 3 Different Areas In A Total Of 3 Hours. I Would Have To Agree That You Should Not Call To Heavy. I Will Usually Start With A Large Cow Call Followed By A Bull Grunt Here And There, But Alot Of Brush Thrashing And Scraping. I Usually Will Call Heavy For 15 Minutes At A Time And Take A 20-30 Minute Break Inbeetween Calls. I Have Had Huge Success With Wayne Kubats Bullmagnet. Some People Say That When You Pound The Bull Magnet It Makes A Ting Sound. This Is Very True, But There Is A Simple Solution To Stop This Problem. All You Have To Do Is Hold The Bull Magnet On Both Ends When You Bang A Tree. This Will Stop The Vibration Which Causes The "tinging". I Feel That Calling Is The Best Way To Get The Moose You Want. The Most Important Part Is Be Patient. There Could Be A 60" Bull Moose Just Hanging Out Not Too Sure, Even If You Have To Stay In One Location All Day. Don't Give Up.

Calling in a bull moose is fun, and I'd like to do it again. Did it once a couple years ago on the 25th of Sept. He came out quick and a drooling, what a sight to see. Was only a 37"er, but he was ready to defend his area and cows.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

If you had to pick 1 week to Moose hunt for a mature bull, which week would it be and what would be your out of the chute strategy??

Last week of the season, find a high spot to glass from and do some calling but then again, thats pretty much my strategy whenever I hunt moose.

Thumbs up

Either that or hit opening morning. I really like hunting end of season timeframe because of the calling possibility, cooler weather, better visibilty, etc... but the animals are really stirred up by then and are much more leary of hunters. That opening morning surprise (after 10 1/2 months of solitude) has been very successful for me. Kind of like making that first cast on the Deshka for kings when it opens at 6am.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

End of the season means different things in different places, depending on your AO. How about DATES, regardless of hunting season restrictions? I'm NOT, I repeat, NOTTTT! suggesting that I, or anyone else hunt out of season! Just asking if you could pick 1 week, ANY week, not defined by parameters set in the regs., what would the DATES be, and why did you pick that week? Anytime between August 1 and December 1.

End of season is the best advice. Some areas run mid Aug to Mid sept, some the month of Sept, some into October. Later is better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast