Thread: Lowe 16 ft Olympic and 40 hp Yamaha Jet

Default Lowe 16 ft Olympic and 40 hp Yamaha Jet

Well I think I have decide what I want for a small runaround boat.A 1652 Lowe with a Yamaha 40 hp 4 stroke tiller jet manuel start with a couple of 8ft oars for drift fishing. This will be for short runs nice weather 2 person fishing no overnites( will sleep in the slide in no more in the bugs etc for me to old and soft but have been there and have the shirt) Anyway some questions.I had a Lowe Roughneck a few years ago and had a aluminum riser built or bought it ready made?? that gave me 5 inches of lift for the jet. It slid down over the transom and had 4 ? bolts thru it and the transom and of course the motor clamped on top. it was slotted in the hole in the aluminum so it would go up and down for foot adjustment. Then i had shims(flat plates) made that went under the aluminum riser(they layed on top of the original transom and gave vertical adjustment) to the motor and jet foot up and down.It worked really well and when max performance was achieved i pretty left it at that setting.This is how I would like to mount the motor. Who sells these ready made or will build me a nice one. Or what might work better? Thanks Terry

Make sure of one thing before you go with a pull start 4 stroke. I had the same motor on a boat that I bought new and with my shoulders a little torn up from hard work all these years it could be a bear to start. If it started on the first pull great if not I would have to rest. After lots of choice words I could get it to start. My wife is pretty tough and could not turn it over at all. Took it in to the dealer and they had no problem starting it and everything checked out but said that 4 strokes where alot harder to start than two strokes, more internal parts to turn over. Was able to trade up to an electric start and did not lose any money as they gave me full credit for my mannual start motor. The motor it self ran great and had lots of power.

I think that might be a good idea.You are right about pull starting a 40 hp 4 stroke they can be a bit nasty.May have to get electric start.