Thread: Denali Highway

Default Denali Highway

Anyone know how far it's open from the Cantwell side?

Default Not sure

Quote Originally Posted by Cody77 View Post
    Anyone know how far it's open from the Cantwell side?

Last week Alaska 511 said it was closed. (http://511.alaska.gov/default.asp?ar...critical&date=)
    Now the site doesn't show it closed any more. Might give the McLaren Lodge a call and see what they have to say about the road. Hope that helps.

Fuse

Not very far, I'd say. I drove thru Cantwell yesterday and it's still winter with 6-8 inches of fresh snow to boot.

Default Highway is open

Highway is open all the way. Drove as far as the McLaren River Lodge. They said the road is open from their all the way to Paxson. A little muddy after crossing the Susitna, and about 2-4 inches of snow between their and McLaren, but it is all driveable.

Just came back from bear hunting over the weekend. Glassed all over the highway. Didn't see any bears. Lots of moose and caribou, and one wolverine by the clearwater creek outhouse. I think maybe I need to buy a snowmachine and get off the road. At this point I'm not sure if I have a better chance of seeing bears if I drive the road and glass from there, covering more country or ski/hike to get away from the road and glass. I'm not afraid of walking, packing. Just not sure what my chances are.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody77 View Post
    Highway is open all the way. Drove as far as the McLaren River Lodge. They said the road is open from their all the way to Paxson. A little muddy after crossing the Susitna, and about 2-4 inches of snow between their and McLaren, but it is all driveable.

Just came back from bear hunting over the weekend. Glassed all over the highway. Didn't see any bears. Lots of moose and caribou, and one wolverine by the clearwater creek outhouse. I think maybe I need to buy a snowmachine and get off the road. At this point I'm not sure if I have a better chance of seeing bears if I drive the road and glass from there, covering more country or ski/hike to get away from the road and glass. I'm not afraid of walking, packing. Just not sure what my chances are.
    Yes, you do need to get off the road. The better denning areas are high up in the valleys. A cub is best, but a snowmachine and a good pair of snowshoes will do the job. There are always a few that den near the road system though. One of the largest bears drugged and weighed by F&G in one of their studies, was within a half mile of the road, right at the base of the hill to the south of the road as it climbs out of seventeen mile hill. Some other good denning areas are straight across the Nenana from that point. Better denning areas are to the south about fifty miles.

Default open

I drove in from Paxon on Sat. and went past the Maclaren a few miles. the guy in Paxon said it was open all the way. We glassed like crazy and didn't even see any sign. Had the sno-goes with us but the snow was way to rotten and didn't get out. I tried once knowing it was bad and stayed close to the road. It's a good thing because we had to use the truck to get me out. Saw lots of game, just no bears. Lucky for them. There was about 4" of fresh snow across the summit and it was snowing pretty good much of the morning.