Thread: Slick 50 break-in

Default Slick 50 break-in

Has anyone really tied Slick 50 for break? Would that hurt the gun in any way? Iím thinking it would damage the finish on the stock if your not careful. Would it matter if the gun was blued or stainless?

Bernie, that is quite the imagination of break-in. I know that stuff is highly spoken of in the automobile industry in one way or the other but for rifle bores?

There is no way that I see of to make break-in any easier or simpler than shooting and cleaning with the bullet type ie. lead or jacketed you plan on using or shooting.

In a day or so I will be "breaking" in a barrel and look foward to it actually- there is no short cuts I know of.

regards,

I know it sounds stupid but I heard about it on this forum. I just wondered if anyone has actually tied it.

Default Slick 50?

Okay, Slick 50 is a teflon based super lubricating engine additive. But, it takes heat and pressure to be worked into the pores of the metal of an engine, mixed in the liquid body of the normal engine oil. I can't see how that wopuld work in a barrel by simply coating the bore and hoping for it to absorb. The other thing is that as with any kind of oil/lubricant in the bore, it needs to be removed before shooting, otherwise the force of the bullet pressing this stuff out as it travels down the bore could actually distort the barrel, bulge it. Break Free or Tri-Flo can be applied directly to the bore and will absorb to some degree into the pores of the metal without heat or pressure. Just my 2 cents worth.

Default slick 50 break in

Well, I too read the previous posts about using slick 50 for break in. But, no member (unless I forgot one) reported using it. One post referred to a friend and competitive shooter using it with success. Lack of first hand experience posts may mean that no one here uses it for break in. I won't deny it is an interesting subject and possibility. Probably some don't bother with break in at all and some break in using the manufacturers recommendations or other printed procedures. None of the major barrel company instructions, I've read, mention slick 50 or other such treatments. However, that doesn't mean it has no merit either- just dunno. I've just finished breaking in the last of four barrels ranging from .264 cal to .358 caliber. All but one barrel was match grade SS. The extra cleaning between each of the first 10-15 shots then after each 3 shot string until smoothing out was noted, was time consuming but allowed for barrel cooling AND load work up. Each barrel showed slightly different fouling tendancies during the break in. The one chrome-moly barrel smoothed out at about 30 rounds. Two of the SS barrels smoothed at about 30 or fewer rounds (one actually showed very little fouling from the get go). The one SS cut rifling barrel of slightly harder, tougher alloy took about 50 rounds. All this was done while load testing, making sure the scopes were good, bedding good, triggers good, etc. Looking back on it- it seems not so much of a waste of time- something more than just blasting and cleaning. One reputable match grade barrel maker gives a pretty interesting theory about new barrel fouling. He says that much of the copper jacket fouling is from VERY small particles of copper jacket that are stripped from the base and heel of the bullet by hot, high velocity powder gases. This "plasma" is then deposited down the barrel. This is especially true with new barrels where there are slight imperfections or rough spots particularly in the throat area where both the hot gas and the barrel roughness produce the copper particles. In addition to this source of copper fouling, of course the bullet is smearing copper down the bore and ironing layers of burned powder in between. All this points to some form of break in to smooth out and final lap the bore for the amount of least fouling. How slick 50 would short cut this or aid in the break in process or do away with it entirely I can't wrap my brain around---- but still, it might do something beneficial?