Thread: Ok...

Default Ok...

I can fly fish for Salmon, but it seems that the Yukon is a very silty & murky river...what do you know about salmon & fly fishing given these conditions? Dry fly's, streamers, Maribou, egg sucking leeches?

Its tough, really tough, use big chartruse stuff and super fast sinking lines, you are much better off looking for clearwater sloughs and tribs where fish should stack up. Fishing the silt line is often very productive.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    I can fly fish for Salmon, but it seems that the Yukon is a very silty & murky river...what do you know about salmon & fly fishing given these conditions? Dry fly's, streamers, Maribou, egg sucking leeches?
    You aren't going to be able to flyfish the Yukon due to the silt. I've swam in it, water skied it, pulled bodies from it and subsistence fished it. About six inches under it goes dark. Which is really disconcerting when you crash and burn on skis because the only way you can tell which way is up is by feeling which way your life jacket is tugging you. I suspect that is a primary reason so many people drown in the river when they go in.

The only thing you can catch on a hook is burbot with bait. Everything else has to be taken with nets, wheels or traps.

If you want Yukon salmon, get yourself about 50' of net and set up in a deep eddy along the side.

Use your flyrod on the tea-colored sloughs and clear tribs feeding into the main river. The mouths of those sloughs and tribs are very productive.
    Now what ?