Thread: OAL length 375h&H

Default OAL length 375h&H

My bullet setting is further off the lands than I would like when the round is set up to its maximum length of 3.6”. There is about ¼ of an inch between the bullet at full length settings and the lands.

Does anyone have an approach to improve this situation? If the rounds are any longer, they will not fit into the magazine.

Default 375 loads

Distance to lands can be decreased with a round nose bullet. But some bullets, like the spire type just can't be extended out that far, but I have found that even with a just of 0.360 inches from bullet to lands (round nose) in my Winchester 70 I can get 1 inch groups.

Keep the length comfortable in the magazine and use a powder like 4064 and see what happens. 67 grains of 4064 and a 300 grain bullet is a great combo to try out.

Default I'll try that

Thanks for the tip.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Cant recall the exact COL that I am going with, but I try to keep at least .032” clearance in the magazine (there is no magic to that number, it just happens to be the size of the stainless safety wire that I can bend around and stick down the magazine between the back of the case and the side of the magazine) I have always had pretty good luck with IMR 4064 and Alliant Reloader 15……………. Or is it 19? Have a look at your data, but those work good for me.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Default Tbbc

The speer trophy bonded bear claw will be closer to the rifling. For example in my ruger RSM I seat hornady spire point to 3.77-3.78, noslers to 3.73-3.74, but to keep the TBBC off the rifling I have to seat them to 3.70. Beside that its a great hunting bullet. I've found win 760 and fed215M primers produce 1" or less groups with most bullets. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by traderjon View Post
    If the rounds are any longer, they will not fit into the magazine.
    How do they shoot? If your current "short" loads shoot well, I wouldn't worry about having the bullet off the rifling.

In my .375 H&H I really like the 270gr Barnes Triple-Shock. I crimp the bullets with a Lee Factory Crimp Die in the forward most "ring" of the TSX. My loaded rounds fit in the magazine, and they shoot well, so I haven't really bothered to see how far off the lands the bullets are seated. To be honest, I don't really care.

I probably won't use anything else in my .375 than the 270gr TSX. Here is one I dug out of a brown bear. This bullet penetrated about four feet of bone and muscle and came out looking like a picture from a magazine ad. The bear couldn't have stopped any faster, had I hit it with lightning.

In my .375 H&H, I have run both IMR4064 and RL-15 powders. Both seem to do well and offer great accuracy. I used Federal 215M primers. I have tried others, but these gave me the best accuracy.

Good luck in your load development.