Thread: Chitina Trail

Default Chitina Trail

Has anybody heard anything about the trail between O'Brian Creek and Haley Creek this year?

Default O'brien to Haley Creek Trail

The Chitina Dipnetters Assoc. met with Steve Titus the head of maintenance for the DOT northern region in late March. We tried to no avail to convince him to use some of the remaining Chitina dipnet fishery maintenance money to make the trail a safe 4 wheeler trail for the time being. He says DOT has no plans to do any work on the trail now or in the near future. So, you can plan on the trail being about the same shape as it was last season barring some directive from the Governor. Wish I had better news.

Is the trail open at all this year? I had heard rumors that the trail was closed to ALL traffic, to include foot traffic past O'brien Creek.

Default trail info

I have heard from a few people that the wild natives have taken control back from the state and going to rip the bridge out at O'Brian Creek. We also checked into the charter and he has raised his price by $10 on account of gas.

Default Trail report

Hilljack,
    I have heard the same thing dealing with the bridge. If that is the case I guess the charter or bringing your own boat will be the only way to dipnet that area this year.

Default Any current info?

Anyone go down this weekend? Is the bridge still across O'Brien? Has anyone gone down the trail? Post pics if you have some.

I am planning a mid July trip to Chitina and can't decide whether to take the 4 wheelers or get a charter. It all depends on trail conditions. We went all the way out the trail on the 4 wheeler last year in August without any problems.

Thanks in advance.

CubeCove

Default Chitina

Was Down there Thursday and Today. We walk the trail for 3 miles from O'Brian campground. Looked pretty good. The fishing sucked big time. We where doing the right thing but the fish where not running. Talked to alot of people Thursday night and this morning they had the same luck as we did. Not sure how the charter guys did but I did not see anyone with fish.
    Left about 11:00 am this morning the Campground was not that crowed.
    Good luck to you if you go.

Unhappy Called Hems Hotline

The report listed as of 9:30am today*Sat* Low water, fishing is spotty at best. With cold/cloudy temps, the water level will stay the same which will result in very few strong back eddies only leaving sweeping to be done. Rain in the future may raise it...but not significantly.

Sounds like the good dipping will be another few weeks out..
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

The fish count by the Alaska fish and game is lower this year than in previous ones. Not by too much but there hasn't been any BIG run days yet recorded at Miles.

76,000+ fish in a 3 day span and that = no high run days?

Default Nothing over 30K/day...

I haven't taken the time to look at the "Commercial Openings" schedule...but there may be some connection to the openings and the lower run counts.

I believe there was an announcement on the ADFG Chitina web site where the biologists predicted a lower run this year comparing to the past few years. I am only speculating...and have no other information to base this on other than his written comment posted... but I think the prediction is based on the number of fish they are going to allow to be harvested this year. With no pacific salmon being harvested in the lower 48 you know they are getting a pretty penny/lb.

AKArcher

Joecool,

Was the bridge still across O'brien? I heard talk of the natives removing the bridge. Are there any new slides this year?

Thanks for the info,

CubeCove

What is the number again for the charter fishing report?

I always misplace it over the winter. I need to just program it into my cell phone.

Default Bridge accross O'Brian

The bridge accros O'Brian is ATV and foot traffic only. I did not see any new slides. The trail looked pretty good for ATV traffic. There is a portion of the trail that says Danger slide area. Water level is down pretty low.

Wink Chitina 1 Stop...

Quote Originally Posted by fshslyr View Post
    What is the number again for the charter fishing report?

I always misplace it over the winter. I need to just program it into my cell phone.
    907-823-2200

Updated today at 9:30am, next update will be Monday morning.

AKArcher

Sounds like I will be able to take the 4 wheeler again...Makes it nice when you can go to your favorite spot in the canyon without handing over cash for a charter or having to wait for the boat to drop you off or pick you up.

CubeCove

Default Road Report Mon 9th

Was down there last night. Went as far as the Tunnel. The bridge is there, fine and unchanged. As for the road beyond O'Brien Creek, it seemed in better shape than last year. The one spot where last year their was a steep bank of rock and ect on one side and a newly washed out and deep gully on the other, with a narrow big rock at an angle sloping down toward the gully as the only way across is actually better. Either someone did some work on it last year after I was down their(mid to late June) or break up and runoff settled it in nicely. I'm a novice 4-wheeler and think I could drive it with not too much effort. I wouldn't of tried to drive that one spot last year.
    I'll try and get photos up here in the next day.
    Paul Holland
    Board Member Chitina Dipnetters Association
    chitinadipnetters dot com

I know exactly what spot your talking about that. It was still bad when I was down there last year. That one obsticle was really hairy coming in loaded with gear and leaving with two coolers of fish strapped on my rear rack. Glad I had the low range 4x4 and the diff locker, and a little help from a friend.

I'm glad to hear that the trail hasn't gotten any worse than it was last year, and that some of the spots seem to be getting better.

Now if I can only find the time and money to get back down there this year.

Default Photos of road beyond O'Brien Creek

Here's a link to photos I took of the road beyond O'Brien Creek on Sunday.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/PaulinFairbanks
    They're under 'My Public Gallery'.
    Paul Holland
    Board Member Chitina Dipnetters Association
    chitinadipnetters dot com

Chitina,

Excellent photos. Thanks for the recon!

I think I know the place you're talking about last year. About a mile in right on the cliff. I got off my wheeler and tried to walk a bit. The dried mud cracks on the "trail" scared me just standing on it.