Thread: Ruger #1 SS in 30-06 do it all rifle?

Default Ruger #1 SS in 30-06 do it all rifle?

Iím thinking about buying a new Ruger #1 SS in 30-06 for my one do it all rifle. I know itís a little on the light side for some stuff in Alaska but I feel if itís has there right ammo you can kill anything, also it will be easy to be accurate with because I wonít be afraid of being abused by the gun. I was thinking of using Hornady Light mag ammo 180g interlock moving at 2900 fps. Thatís only 60 fps slower than standard 300 win mag ammo. I think it would do the job on any AK animal.

What do you guys think? Would any of you not recommend this gun for AK?

Default 30-06

Also availability of ammo is great; cost of ammo is good to. Gor some cheap stuff for plinking around its only $11-12 per box of 20.

I've had a ruger 30-06 for a number of years and have never been disappointed. In capable hands, it's good for just about anything Alaska has to offer.

-Brian

Thumbs up Shot placement

I've been shooting an .06 since I was 16. I'm proud to say it has killed everything I have shot at with the exception of an Arkansas coyote running across a field about 140 yards out at mach 3.2. I really like the wide variety of factory loads too.

I think a lot of people simply go with a bigger gun just to say they have a bigger gun. I tend to lean toward shot placement being much more important than caliber. I don't like shooting over 200 yds. and figure I can cut the distance down most of the time with a little patience. I wouldn't shoot a 10' brown bear at 350 yards with an .06 because of the power factor. But, if I could get within 100 yards of the bruin, I wouldn't hesitate taking a well placed shot.

IMO the 30.06 is as close to an all around gun as you will find.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Nothing wrong with an 30-06

Like stated above...I believe the right ammunition for the animial you are hunting and shot placement are very important. The 06 gives you the ability to shoot so many different loads depending on the hunt. I've been shooting the same Rugar M77 30-06 since I was about 14 and have never been unhappy with it's performance...bear...moose or 'bou it hasn't let me down yet.

Good luck this year!

I'm a fan of both the #1 and the 06, so you won't get any argument here. I've pretty much lost my #1 06 to my wife. With lots of guns to choose from in our rack, she's settled on it both for her all around and her "heavy." Looking at the results rather than bore size, I'd say she's awfully smart.

Default For about a Century..

...the 30 Gov't '06 has been doing everything ever asked of it, and it will still do it well.

I have owned and hunted with every 30 caliber rifle available. Magnum, maximum, minimum, ad infinitum. I would prefer a 30-06 to everything else. I don't think any magnum 30 caliber offers anything extra except recoil. Modern ammo in modern rifles makes this old war horse something new again with all anyone would ever need until a need for the 375 H&H comes along.

As for the Ruger No. 1. Well it's number one for a reason. I've hunted with them a lot and never felt in need of more gun. Good shootin'.

Murphy
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Talking #1 30-06!

Well I have 3 knowledgeable moderators telling me itís a good choice; I think itís safe to say I will be going with this set up for my new all round game ďgitterĒ

Thanks guys!

I grew on using a .30/06, still use it on occasion, and don't hesitate to use it on anything either. The 55 grain Accelerators were excellent for smaller game and long distances. 180 for moose and anything else, 220 for up close and personal. I am currently using the 150 grain Light Magnum loads for moose, and dropped 2 of them with one shot each, very flat shooting and capable of taking them down with a well placed shot.
    One thing I learned from an uncle of mine is that it isn't the gun's fault, it is the person behind the gun that doesn't drop the moose. Something I have followed very carefully, aim well, and be patient when you shoot, and there's nothing that will get away from you.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

I have been using mine for the past 3 or so years for caribou. It is light, easy to pack and packs a whallop. Anything out to about 325 yards is dead. Don't worry about the single shot capability, you learn how to reload it quickly after some practice. I believe you can fire three rounds as fast as most people can work a bolt with some practice. Enjoy the No1. Jim

Default 3?

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie1
    Well I have 3 knowledgeable moderators telling me itís a good choice; I think itís safe to say I will be going with this set up for my new all round game ďgitterĒ

Thanks guys!
    Now just what makes you think that someone is knowledgeable because they are a moderator? :-)
    While the 30-06 is a good choice, I'm picturing you fumbling for a cartridge to shove into your no. 1 while the big griz you just shot comes running towards you. Or maybe while that 40 in. sheep disappears over the skyline. I'm wondering if the no. 1 will be adequate when a pack of wolves comes up out of the draw and you want to "smoke the whole pack"?
    I know the no. 1 is a quality firearm, but it's not what I'd choose in most situations.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I've gotta say that I agree with martentrapper on this one. Being a moderator says nothing about my expertise!

Seriously, though...I don't understand the draw of the single-shot rifle. Although I love my Ruger '06, I've often been happy to have more than one bullet ready to go. Perhaps with practice one can fire and reload a single shot pretty quickly, but I'd still rather have the built-in backup. Sure, a single shot kill is the ideal, but I know that I probably wouldn't have gotten my first sheep years ago if I didn't have more bullets ready to go. Good point, marten.

-Brian

I have used and T/C encore a lot and I carry shells on the side of the stock. Iím able to reload fairly fast. Plus that one shot helps give you discipline to make good shots, and not make crappy ones because you have 4 more bullets just raring to in your gun. I love my grandfather's saying and he used it often ďMake the first shot count, and the rest you can shoot in the air!Ē I always assumed for celebration, never done it though.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper
    I'm picturing you fumbling for a cartridge to shove into your no. 1 while the big griz you just shot comes running towards you. Or maybe while that 40 in. sheep disappears over the skyline. I'm wondering if the no. 1 will be adequate when a pack of wolves comes up out of the draw and you want to "smoke the whole pack"?

I've been using the Ruger #1 from 2 years after they first came on the market in the 60's. My favorite one that I purchased in 1976 is in 243 and still own it. I have put 4 rounds into this Grizzly Bear with a #1 in 416 Rigby in less than 20 seconds. Every round was a fatal hit but bears are like Moose and don't know when they are dead.

Practice, practice and ,ore practice is what the #1 requires and you will be able to operate it almost as fast if not faster than a bolt gun. I also have owned and hunted with the Browning B78(in 30-06), T/C Contenders and Encores. I have never felt out gunned for them only being chambered as a single shot.

Default seems like a good choice

seems like a good choice to me. Any thirty caliber bullet makes a big enough hole....with the right shot
    The right shot, of course is critical so if you're not comfortable with the accuracy of a 30.06 than opt for something else.
    Of course consider the range at which you'll be shooting and how good of a shot you are.
    If longer (and I don't mean irresponsabely long) shots are anticipated go for a flatter shooting caliber such as the Winchester 300 mag.