Thread: Carlisle Economy Oars?

Default Carlisle Economy Oars?

How economical are they? Are they only good for a backup or can they be used as my primary oars?
    I have a 12ft Alaska Series raft. Plan on using pin and clip oar locks.
    Ben

They look a little flimsy to me. I suppose it would depend on where you are taking your boat, and how hard you plan on pulling in your oars. I've broken several Carlisle standard oar shafts. At least two from just pulling hard with the blade resting against a rock, and a couple more from smashing into things, but I wasn't in the Kenai River when it happened.

They look like they are designed for a rowboat on a lake, or for moving your dingy to shore.

Default Interesting Question

Ben - I am a big Carlisle Fan and sell them as you know. The oar in question is normally reserved for light weight use i.e. Travler rowing packing or Outcast 10ft Fishcats etc.....

Being that the boat in quesiton 12ft Alaskan Series Raft you may be under gunning your objectives. I have never attempted to utilize such an oar on a true working raft i.e. 13ft otter or 12ft white water rated boat. That being said if you intended to use the raft in situations where you are putting weight in the boat in finding your-self lets say on the Upper Chena 38 mile you will more than likely be bending those bad boys in half.

The system in question i.e. pins and clips will be much larger IMO than required for that type of oar. Normal is just a standard round oar holder in a smaller oar lock.

Any one there might be someone out in the forum with a usage report for you.

Its shaft is made of lightweight aluminum and runs the full length of the blade to ensure maximum strength and durability. A 5.5" x 26" blade delivers superior power and a contoured handle makes maneuvering easy.
    Blade Material: plastic
    Shaft Material: aluminum
    Length: (ft.) 5, 5.5, 6, 6.5, 7, 7.5, 8
    Weight: 43 oz. (60")
    Blade Color: black
    Shaft Color: silver, olive, *black

I hate to go there but you might be better off spending a couple fo extra bucks for the standard oar with your pins and clips verses the light duty oar in question.

Best of Luck

Blue Moose

I bent all 3 of my standard Alum/Plastic Carlisles. Not just in whitewater either, but in low water boney stretches... Ditto BlueMoose, I'd only use the econo's on a small solo craft.

Default Carlisle oars

I've never broken one, but I would advise you to spend a few extra dollars. For the price, the Cataract brand wrapped glass shafts are great, they're a little lighter and stiffer, so you'll get better energy transfer to the water rather than losing it in the oar flex. Sometimes, the carlisle's flex a little "funny" too, i.e. you can feel them load up, and then there's a bit of unexpected spring in your oar stroke as they unload.

I was planning on buying the standard Carlisle breakdown shafts. I was mainly looking for a spare oar. If the ability was there then I would have choosen the economy oars. Thanks for the help.
    Hey Moose! Got a sale on your oars right know?
    Ben

If you happen to need a set of 9' oars, I have some Carlisle shafts with the outer plastic all torn & cracked up. They're still straight & strong, but they look ugly. $35 each. I don't need them anymore because I'm trying to change my image.

349-7427

Default Sent you a PM

Check out your email.

:-)