Thread: Retumbo and 7mm Rem Mag

Default Retumbo and 7mm Rem Mag

I posted this at the bottom of a different thread but it was getting no responses so I thought I'd just come right out and ask.

The Nosler #6 manual doesn't list any loads (as far as I can tell) using retumbo at all, but it seems like it may be a very good powder for the 7mm Rem Mag. I'm getting ready to work up some new loads for my Ruger M77 in that caliber and was wondering if it was worth buying a pound of Retumbo to play with. I'm planning on using 160gr Accubonds, and my rifle has a 24" barrel.

Check the Hodgdon site for loads. I've got some ready for testing if it ever stops raining.

From what I've read (and also checked the Hodgdon site) Retumbo is better for the larger mags. I have an M77 7mm Mag also. Would be interested in hearing your experience if you try it.

I was just checking the Hodgdon site and it showed Retumbo being used for the 7mm Rem Mag and getting better velocites than most other powders. Interesting... I may have a new powder for my 7mm...

I shoot a m77 in 7mm mag. I load 100 g Hornady for pd=.75" at 100 for 3, 139 hornady for coyotes and antelope= 1.25", and 160 sierra for larger game at 1.25" All are useing IMR 4831. The 100 g is .26" off the lands in col the rest are .010" off.