Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Practice Targets

Default Practice Targets

I've used all kinds of targets in years past, compressed cardboard, styrofoam blocks, reinforced hay bales, and commercial foam targets. I recently bought a 25$ "Hips Target" from SW and I'm blowing arrows in past the vanes with it at 25 yds. What a piece of crap!!

So i took some 3" thick Insulfoam I had laying around and tried that stacked up and I ended up having to CUT the arrows out!! Man that stuff is dense!! Only had about 4" of penetration and arrows were practically melted into the target!!

Anyway, my question is what are you guys using for a practice target? Both homemade and commercial. I need to come up with something quick and I get irritated paying 60$ or more for a commercial target block thats nothing more than layered foam sheets!!

For a comercial target, I use two different size "Black Hole" targets. I've heard Morell's "Yellow Jacket" works well too & may try that next (Black Holes have worked well-no complaints).
    For home made, I use a 3'x4' burlap bag stuffed tight with used shrinkwrap. Cheap to make & works great. Lasts a long time.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default Bags

I started with a block - liked it, but pain to pull arrows. My fiance got me a Glendel Full Rut buck 3-D for Christmas - true love! Don't want to wear that one out (the target).

But recently after shooting at Rabbit Creek at the bags, got the idea of buying one. Built a rack with some 4x4, 2x6, and 1x3 I had lying around. Had to get some hooks from Home Depot. Took all of about 2 hours, now I have a readily portable rack to hang the swinging bag target. Love being able to easily pull arrows by hand in any weather condition.

BTW, made the frame big enough to accomodate the larger bag if I ever need to buy one. Started with the smaller bag from SW.

Chris

What is inside the bag targets? I'll have to check them out at SW. If they swing free do you have trouble with arrows going in at different angles and causing more arrow strikes? One thing I was thinking was a hay bale compressed as tight as possible with a ratchet strap around the outside, anyone tried that?
    I sometimes go hog wild and shoot 50 arrows a nite when I get the bug so I want something that I dont have to replace all the time or is really easy to repair or cheap to replace. Thanks for the info.

The Block and I use a pillow case full of old rags.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default I use Morrell...

Both the Broadhead target & the practice head one...both are holding up real well!

There is a guy in Fairbanks who makes a big freestanding target out of high density spray foam. My target if roughly 5'X3' and about 24" thick on a plywood base so it stands by itself. It stops everything and is easy to remove arrows from. Best target Ive ever seen. $100. Send me a PM if your interested

I have a 2 bag targets one that I stuffed with used shrink wrap. Have used it for two years so far and never had an arrow go thru. Easy to pull the arrows out of. The other one I stuffed with used visqueen it works good also but the arrows are harder to remove. I bought the bags at SW they are made out of fiber like a burlap bag. Both targets have been shot a lot. I think the shrink wrap is a better stuffing.
    I also got the Glendale Full Rut for Christmas have been shooting the snot out of it.

I'll concur with the guys using shrink wrapping for stuffing. Plastic seems to work well as a filler. I saved up plastic grocery bags for quite awhile once and stuffed them into a burlap bag. That worked well. I also stuffed an old gill net into a burlap bag once, that held up well too. My buddy had a target once stuffed with shredded rubber from tires. Probably the best target I've ever shot into. The arrows held in place when they hit the target and you could pull them out with two fingers.

I debated making my own compressed cardboard target once, but I've heard guys say the glue in the corrugated cardboard heats up from friction and the arrows stick. I shot at a target once that was compressed 1" foam insulation sheets. Had to cut my arrow out. That was terrible stuff.

I do like the bags at the Rabbit Creek Range. The big Block targets at the Kincaid Park Range are nice, but can be a bit tough sometimes to pull the arrow out, especially if they're wet.

Default Target....

http://www.rinehart3d.com/18-1-guaranteed.aspx

I bought one of these Rhinehart 18-1 cubes a couple years ago and its been the best target I've ever had. Arrows pull easy and it is not even close to being shot out. I shoot alot of broadheads into it as well. I bought mine off of Ebay and it was only $15 bucks shipped to Alaska. I see that Fletchers in Wasilla has them now also. Great target.

Unfortunately the best commercial targets that I have found are the layered and compressed foam like the "Black Hole", the "Block", and the "Yellow jacket" ; the cheapest of these are the "Yellow Jacket" but they are harder tp pull the arrows out of. I have tried many targets over the past 10 years, since I started shooting carbon arrows, and these three are the only targets that I have found to stop the arrows before they go through and rip the fletchings off. I haven't used any of the bag style targets but have shot them at archery shops and they seem to work well, but they have all been against a foam or rubber back drop. Back when I shot aluminum arrows, I used to get those bags of hardened expanding foam from an insulation company which they created by emptying their spray guns at the end of a work day. They worked well for aluminum arrows but probably won't stop the faster and slicker carbon arrows, but that may be worth a try. I got those from a place in Fairbanks but don't remember the name, some insulation company; they used to give them away but that was about 12 years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    I've used all kinds of targets in years past, compressed cardboard, styrofoam blocks, reinforced hay bales, and commercial foam targets. I recently bought a 25$ "Hips Target" from SW and I'm blowing arrows in past the vanes with it at 25 yds. What a piece of crap!!

So i took some 3" thick Insulfoam I had laying around and tried that stacked up and I ended up having to CUT the arrows out!! Man that stuff is dense!! Only had about 4" of penetration and arrows were practically melted into the target!!

Anyway, my question is what are you guys using for a practice target? Both homemade and commercial. I need to come up with something quick and I get irritated paying 60$ or more for a commercial target block thats nothing more than layered foam sheets!!

Default Pulling arrows

When pulling arrows use one of those gripper gloves with the little rubber dots. I just wrap the glove around the arrow and they pull out so much easier. A little wax on the front half of the arrow assists in removal also. Walking to the target slower than a shooting partner does too.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I use a burlap bag stuffed with old shrink wrap backed by a 4x4 blue foam backer, works great unless one of my compound shooting freinds misses and hits the foam, hard too pull out and at compound speeds the material partially melts, lots of residue on my arrows too from before I switched too the bag, I dont miss.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    When pulling arrows use one of those gripper gloves with the little rubber dots. I just wrap the glove around the arrow and they pull out so much easier. A little wax on the front half of the arrow assists in removal also. Walking to the target slower than a shooting partner does too.

So THAT'S why Dad always walks so slow when we go shoot!

Jon

Default This is what I use

The arrows come out pretty easy. It's not the best looking target, but it works well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by letshunt View Post
    The arrows come out pretty easy. It's not the best looking target, but it works well.
    Hey letshunt, I assume that was corrugated cardboard you used for the layers....? Any problems with the arrows heating up the glue in the cardboard and sticking? I actually planned on making a target just like yours, but never did. Then I got the bright idea of using old carpet (not the foam-backed kind) for the layers. I thought maybe the carpet fibers would work well to slow the arrow but not cause them to stick.

I have had one or two that were tough to pull out, but out of 1000's of shots thats not bad.

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the ideas, guys. I stumbled into the best target I've ever used this weekend with junk I had laying around. Took me less than 15 minutes. Its a slight variation to the plastic grocery bags shoved into a large plastic type burlap bag. I used old dog food bags (they are made out of a woven plastic tarp like material, a dog food called Red Paw). I just shoved the folded up dog food bags into the sack and twisted rocks into the corners to use as a hanging point at all four corners. Arrows only penetrate like 3-5" and pull out really easy. Man this forum is great, I never would have thought of trying that if you guys wouldnt have mentioned it. Thanks again.

I forgot to add that I think that old torn up blue tarps would work just as well. Just fold the tarps up really tight and stuff it into a burlap sack or whatever. I havent tried it yet but everyone up here in alaska has old destroyed tarps from their roofs laying around

I shot through a cabelas layered target pretty easily, I took a ratchet strap and tighted in down and works better, I found another layered target at the dump one time that was tore up by broadheads, i took all the loose cut up stuff out and strapped that one down too. Works pretty good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast