Thread: Kodiak in late July/early August

Default Kodiak in late July/early August

I've been lurking on this forum for a while trying to glean valuable information, and now that my Kodiak plans are quickly becoming a reality I thought I'd start actively asking questions.

I'm going to be in Kodiak from mid-july until mid-august for a medical internship (I'm a first-year med student). I think it'll be 2-3 weeks of internship and the rest of the time is for fishing. From what I can tell the pinks and reds will be in, which sounds like a blast. I've got 7 wt and 10 wt fly rods, as well as a 7' heavy baitcasting rod. I figure the 7 wt will work for pinks, though it might be a little heavy, and I'm not sure which rod would work best for reds. I thought maybe I could whip the 10 wt out at the mouth of some rivers and see what will take a fly, though I've never done any saltwater fly fishing.

Any tips on where I should pursue reds? From what I've read the road system is pretty solid for pinks and dollies. I picked up a copy of Alaskan Author's Kodiak book, but haven't had a chance to read it just yet.

Any hints, tips, tackle suggestions, or any other info would be greatly appreciated. I've fished pinks in Lake Superior tributaries, but otherwise I'm new to the salmon fly fishing game. I've caught a few silvers (we call 'em Cohos down here) and kings trolling in Lake Superior, but nothing like the AK fish I've seen pics of. Is there much of a chance to chase rainbows on Kodiak, or is that more of a mainland activity?

Also, does anybody know of guides that will add a single fisherman onto a group they're taking out of Kodiak? I'd love to hit the salt, but as a lone fisherman I'm not sure how to go about this.

I apologize if this post is all over the place, I'm just very, very excited for this trip. I realize this is pretty late in the game to still be in the planning stages for a Kodiak trip, but a lot of that was out of my control, unfortunately. I've got a place to stay, and from what I've read it's tough to have a "bad" Kodiak trip, so I'm still very optimistic.

Sarasota, Florida

Default Beyond the book...

Hitting the deep salt will require that you connect with an outfitter.
    Try Shawn Gornell of

In the month you are interning, the fishery in Kodiak is very active. Make new friends and let it be known you are looking to make the seas and chances are good that you'll hook up with someone.

All the rest of your questions are answered in the book that you have yet to read...

"Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Default Discounts

Make sure you check with Providence Hospital's HR department for discounts on charters. I know for a fact that many of the guys in town do offer one person walk on with a discount for Providence employees.

Chances are good you will see me at the Hospital, I work part time to pay the heating bills.

If your interested in fly fishing give me a call, I'd be more than happy to help you out.

Eagle River/ Juneau

7 wt is fine for reds... Kodiak is great, enjoy it.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Thanks for the info, everybody. I will definitely check with Providence's HR department about the charter discounts, thanks for the heads up on that, Shawn.

Bernard, your book is my next read, it's just going to have to wait until after my test on monday.

I'm sure I'll be back with more questions soon, thanks again.

Default Kodiak fishing

Welcome to Kodiak. I'm writing for my husband Larre, who is out with our son Bill on a bear hunt right now. Larre runs a charter business out of Kodiak Give him a call after this weekend at 206-459-6851. Larre and Bill are both fishing fanatics and will give you lots of local information.