Thread: old vs new Hornady RN (300gr .375)

Default old vs new Hornady RN (300gr .375)

I have several boxes of Hornady RN 300 gr .375 bullets with which I have worked up a load for in my CZ550. (81.5gr H4831 for 2500 fps)

I can load these with either the new #37209, or the older #3720 bullets and my point of impact and accuracy is the same. The #37209 is supposed to be bonded, where the #3720 is an interlock design.

I understand that some consider this excessive for Black Bear, however I'd like to use the same load for both Black and Brown bear hunts.

Does anyone have a preference or experience between these two bullets in the 375 HH?

Thanks in advance -

If hornady shoots fine....Stick with them,

Otherwise...My suggestion - Load 300 grain Nosler Partition at 2500-2600 fps. In my custom CZ action .375 h&h....300 grain noslers loaded at 2600 fps group better than I can shoot and will take down anything that walks.

Default COL

Idahohunter - What is your COL for the nosler loads - I will give them a try.

Nate

3.598 is my length...Very close to the 3.6 of max case length. By the way, I get great results out of RL 15, AND H4891....Good Luck!!! If you want I can share my loads with you....Got some good ones for 260 partitions and accubonds and 300 partitions!!!!

Default Hornady 300s

Do they still make the "new" interbonds? I saw them in MidwayUSA once but now only Interlocks. I think the old tried and true is back as the only type. Either style shoots the same.

Default Hornadys

The interbond in 375 was discontinued. Rumor to be because of marginal terminal performance. I doubt a black bear will be able to tell, but these bullets are marketed for cape buffalo and the like. Looks like they are pushing the interlock even with the .375 Ruger. Both the interlock and interbond shoot great for me.

Quote Originally Posted by idahotrophyhunter View Post
    3.598 is my length...Very close to the 3.6 of max case length. By the way, I get great results out of RL 15, AND H4891....Good Luck!!! If you want I can share my loads with you....Got some good ones for 260 partitions and accubonds and 300 partitions!!!!
    I wouldn't mind taking a look at your loads for comparison with some loads I'm planning in the .375 Ruger. I know they're different but for comparison they seem to work with similar powders. I'm leaning towards the accubonds better BC for flatter shooting and better PBR.

Of the three bullets you've mentioned which bullet, powder type and load volume give you the best group?

Is your H4891 a typo? I don't see it on my chart. I do see H4198 as a slightly faster burn than RL 15 on my chart of burn rates.

Thanks in advance for the data...

Default H4831

Waters Pet Loads gave me the idea to try H4831... I would not normally have thought of this as a 375hh powder, but it sure seems to work.

H4831 has given me moa accuracy with 300s. 81.5gr with either of the 2 300 gr Hornady RN designs. I have not chrony'd this load yet, but believe it to be in the 2500 fps range. 3" high at 100 yds it is 3" low at 200 yds, which is outstanding for such a heavy non-aerodynamic bullet.

Varget gave excellent accuracy at a slightly reduced velocity with the same bullet. 66gr chrony'd at 2200 fps from my 25" bbl. This makes a nice practice load.

What I have not yet done is try any of the 300gr Spire point bullets. I have a few of the sierras and may try them tomorrow. They occupy quite alot more space inside the case, so don't interchange load data between the RN and SPT bullets.

I haven't had good luck with 270s in my CZ (yet) but so far all I have tried are TSX. Before I got the CZ I had an a-bolt 375 and it shot the TSX load extremely well with 72 gr of RL15 at a chrony'd 2550 fps. Max for this bullet per the Barnes website is 77gr.