Thread: Forum software upgrade

Thumbs up Forum software upgrade

Our English friend Man1c M0g upgraded our forum software from 3.6.9 to 3.7 last night. While it may look as if the upgrade is not substantial, it really is. This is the largest jump we have made so far. The additional user features are HUGE.

You can read the details here. This has screen shots as well, so you'll be able to get a glimpse of what is involved.

Here is a brief but not comprehensive list of new features:

* Thread tagging
    * Search cloud / tag cloud
    * Thread prefixes
    * Reciprocal friendships between users
    * Public visitor messaging on profile pages with 'conversation' feature
    * User picture galleries with user comment facility
    * User-created social groups with invite only and moderated membership options
    * Extended member profile pages
    * Customizable member profile pages with admin-controlled styling abilities
    * Inline editing of custom user profile fields
    * Lightbox viewer for attached images
    * Viewable and comparable history maintained for post edits
    * Extended re-authentication for inline moderation actions
    * Notices system for navigation bar
    * New human-verification tools including reCAPTCHA, and question/answer
    * User change history
    * Social bookmarking integration

We don't yet know much about most of these new features. Some are rolled out already; others will take us some time to bring out for use. I hope you find these new features useful -- and fun!

David
    Last edited by Webmaster; 05-02-2008 at 09:39. Reason: Verb tense repair

Default "Tags"

Tags are a new feature in this version. They allow users to individually tag threads. As a thread starter, you can tag your thread with keywords. As a user you can do the same. As more people tag individual threads, it will make a tag "cloud" showing which threads are most important and most searched.

Here is some additional information and some screen grabs that show how the feature works.

David

Thumbs up

The Lightbox viewer for attached images is very nice.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

* Lightbox viewer for attached images
    Why does it go back to the topics page and not the thread when you back out of the light box?
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Default Good question

But I don't know the answer.

I did just set the behavior to show lightbox on click OR HOVER. Hover works in FireFox and IE7, but with a little more delay in the latter.

In FF and IE, click and hover returned me to the thread. Close your browser and try it again and tell me what you see. Let's see if that took care of the issue.

David
    Quote Originally Posted by garnede View Post
    Why does it go back to the topics page and not the thread when you back out of the light box?

I figured out what it was. My screen is too dark and I could not see the thread faded behind. When I use the "X" to close the Lightbox viewer it works like it is supposed to. Thanks.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Love the new features. The server switch seems to work well on many levels.

One question? Why are there digg - stumbleupon ..etc links under the bookmark portion of our posts? (general disc. excluded )

Don't get me wrong.. I'm hip to the new jive. I love digg but digg kills several servers per day. Bandwidth is the food consumed.

Just curious

Default Digg et al

Quote Originally Posted by junkak View Post

One question? Why are there digg - stumbleupon ..etc links under the bookmark portion of our posts? (general disc. excluded )

Don't get me wrong.. I'm hip to the new jive. I love digg but digg kills several servers per day. Bandwidth is the food consumed.

Just curious
    I suppose the best answer for to your question is simply "more visitors." At one level, of course, is that this website is a for-profit venture. But beyond that I would say that I have always enjoyed sharing information about the Alaska outdoors, and this is just another way to help people find the information and this community.

I hadn't thought about the server gasping under the load of a Digg induced rush. But now that I have thought about it, my guess is that we won't see that happen here. If some pop star was part of the program here, or if we had some new "must have" software, or we had hot info on "American Idol", I could see that happening. I suspect what we'll see instead is occasional traffic spikes. We've got quite a bit of capacity here, so I'm hoping that we'll not go down from Digg!

Thanks for the thoughts on this.....David