Thread: hunting with 338 federal

Default hunting with 338 federal

Now that the 338 federal is a couple years old does anyone here use it?? I have one on order. wondered if anyone here has used it for moose, bear yet?

I have not hunted with it yet. But i an waiting for my custom savage 99 to be completed so that i can tell you stories of hunting with it. You should check out Alaska Custom Firearms, they do amazing things to guns.

I'm hoping to buy a Tikka lite stainless 338 Federal, hopefully that model is offered in a left handed version.

Check back in the fall. There should be lots of stories then...

It is an excellent whitetail round. J.

Default tikka lefty

Watergremlin yes the tikka lite stainless comes in left hand! thats what mine is.

I have Tikka T3 ss in 338 federal bought in the fall of 2007. Accurate, lots of cases available, lots of choice in bullets if reloading, good all around round IMO. Even though recoil is not bad at all, a limbsaver reduces the bite.
    I've taken it out for moose, but I haven't done my job in finding a shooter yet. Confidence is high that this round will be very adequate for moose, black bear. If by myself and hunting for brown, I'd go a little larger, but with good backup, quality 210-225 gr., sure.

I'm curious to hear how everyone is mounting their scopes on the Tikka T3's? Are you guys using stock rings on the rail or aftermarket rings?

I went with the Warne QD rings. Not because I heard anything negative about the stock rings (I never put them on), but because I won't place my trust in such a vital component to my rifle without high confidence. If I hunted with others, or my hunting was outside, might not be such a big deal. I'll stick with parts that have earned my trust, and let someone else check out the new kid on the block. JMO.
    Last edited by shooter338; 05-03-2008 at 19:51. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by jfisk375 View Post
    I have not hunted with it yet. But i an waiting for my custom savage 99 to be completed so that i can tell you stories of hunting with it. You should check out Alaska Custom Firearms, they do amazing things to guns.
    Could you say what the cost of converting a .308 Savage 99 to .338 Federal would be? Thanks....Louis