Thread: Goat hunting?

Question Goat hunting?

Question to all,
    I知 a DIY at heart but I have recently had a fascination with taking a Mt. goat I never thought I would really want the hunt them but after seeing them in the mountains last year I starting to warm up to the idea , kind of like a budget dall sheep hunt. I have been trying to weigh the cost of putting in applications for years trying to draw a tag or just bit the bullet and go on an AK guided hunt. What would be the most cost effective way in you opinion?

I also thought about taking a trip to AK with my wife and a camera I would still get to goat country and get close take so awesome pics, take in the scenery and know in my mind it was just an unfounded law the was stop me from taking one. I still would have a weapon for a black bear, wolf ect.

Opinions please!

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie1 View Post
    Question to all,
    I知 a DIY at heart but I have recently had a fascination with taking a Mt. goat I never thought I would really want the hunt them but after seeing them in the mountains last year I starting to warm up to the idea , kind of like a budget dall sheep hunt. I have been trying to weigh the cost of putting in applications for years trying to draw a tag or just bit the bullet and go on an AK guided hunt. What would be the most cost effective way in you opinion?

I also thought about taking a trip to AK with my wife and a camera I would still get to goat country and get close take so awesome pics, take in the scenery and know in my mind it was just an unfounded law the was stop me from taking one. I still would have a weapon for a black bear, wolf ect.

Opinions please!

Sorry about some of the typos above, I typed that up quick this morning.

I've never hunted SouthEast for goats, but my understanding is that the goat hunting can be great. There are no drawing permit requirements down that way, and you may be able to make it a goat/deer combo hunt. Might be worth looking into...

Default Permits

Bryan: slight correction on the permits in SE, there is a drawing for goats if you want to hunt the Ketchikan area adjacent to town. I believe there were 20 permits available this year. My sons and I didn't draw but a friend's 2 boys drew these coveted permits. This area is accessible to hike in from the road system.

There is excellent country to hunt in the Misty Fiords for goats and other areas not far from Ketchikan that are available with no permits necessary. These areas are accessible by either boat or plane.

Deer and goat hunts are quite doable.

If you're looking for a guide check with Johnnie Laird in Ketchikan, Muskeg Excursions. Look for him on ODD under Muskeg.

kingfisherktn

Thumbs up

I did a guided goat hunt last Sept out of Cordova. If your interested shoot me a pm and I'll give you all the detail.

Are you an Alaskan resident? By your first posting it does not appear so as you stated "a trip to AK with my wife and a camera......". If you are a non-resident you have to hire a guide to hunt Mtn Goats.

Good Luck.

I'll toss in a recommendation for Dustin McLeod (and his dad, Scott) in Sitka. They run Raven Guides... Dustin is a good friend, and one of the most skilled guides I've ever known. "Goat Fanatic" is how I might describe Dustin!

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

New to the site love talking Alaska hunting hope to add something.

Hows the general trophy quality coming out of SE these days? Are there any BC goats coming out of the unit 1 and sub units lately?

Defiantly need a guide or a family member within a 2nd degree of kindred to hunt goats.

Default This what you're looking for?

Hey Brian, Southeast is fantastic (where I am building my lodge right now) but I truly enjoyed Kodiak. Quick and relatively painless. Good chance to score a tag. We got one monster and this fella.

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice goat did you ever score it?

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    Hey Brian, Southeast is fantastic (where I am building my lodge right now) but I truly enjoyed Kodiak. Quick and relatively painless. Good chance to score a tag. We got one monster and this fella.

Mike

Mike, Nice Billy! We need to talk about your new operation again soon. You sure have been taking a lot of nice animals lately; I saw some of your Africana pictures.
    No guys I知 a non res. and I知 aware of the restrictions on griz, sheep and goat, hence the cost is prohibitive for a guided hunt I was thinking about applications in places like Montana and Colorado DIY hunts or just biting the bullet on a guided hunt in AK.

Default Other States for goats

You may also want to look at Utah, Nevada, Washington, Idaho, and Wyoming when applying for goats.

Quote Originally Posted by AKHUNTINFOOL View Post
    You may also want to look at Utah, Nevada, Washington, Idaho, and Wyoming when applying for goats.
    Any ideas on the fastest draw states and the cost? I know some areas take a lot of cash just to apply.

Default multiple hunt applications

I would recommend you consider: http://www.hunterapplicationservice.com/AboutUs.htm
    I have have good luck with Larry drawing once in a life time WA Bighorn by 2nd year. He will take all the guess work out and considering the time saved and application to optimal drawing areas for me it is money well spent.

Idaho will be the fastest cost is about 1900 for a tag + licence

You will never draw in Washington.

Montana is next cost is about 800 bucks

Then Colorado might take 20 years (realistically 10-15) cost is about 1700 for tag.

Nanny tag in Utah 3-5 years

Nevada might never draw.

Quote Originally Posted by In Exile View Post
    Idaho will be the fastest cost is about 1900 for a tag + licence

You will never draw in Washington.

Montana is next cost is about 800 bucks

Then Colorado might take 20 years (realistically 10-15) cost is about 1700 for tag.

Nanny tag in Utah 3-5 years

Nevada might never draw.
    Thanks for the info.

But don't really like that answer! HAHA!

Default sitka goats

I second can-can's idea for sitka goats. good hunting for them plus the possibility of a nice blacktail buck.

Odds of drawing in Montana are slim, even for residents. A person does well to get one in a life time. I was fortunate enough to draw a sheep tag the first year I applied way back when.