Thread: Possible Stud or Fascinating Dud?

Default Possible Stud or Fascinating Dud?

I've never seen anything like it, and I don't know how such a boat would perform but the idea intrigues me. A 50hp 2 stroke inboard in a small jon, maybe the fabricator of this boat is onto something? Since the pictures do not show any steering mechanism I'm likely to say this boat has not been tested, and wonder if this has turned out to be a nightmare project. With the extra weight in the back it might need trip tabs.

If everything worked out according to plan what a neat little boat this would be.

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/664185928.html

One was done up like that on riverjet a while back and went pretty **** good! That one looks pretty clean, wonder what he used as a powerplant?

The boat looks very clean, and that's another reason why I think the boat hasn't been tested in it's current form on the water. If I had a boat like that with a thin poly bottom I might be tempted to try the Jim Creek flats in a jet boat again.

What a killer boat that would be in the skinny if all worked out. Light enough to push off a sand bar and enough power to get up and go.

A guy up in North Pole was doing something similar last year. Except he was using a 110 or 115 TurboJet in a 14 foot jon boat. Wow!

Default Cool idea....

The motor and pump might be out of an PWC... I've seen that before in project boats and scanoes. Most of them were steered by a motorcycle type handlebar setup or tiller handle while standing or sitting on a small doghouse over the motor. They get pretty good mileage, lightweight, yet powerful. It's a great idea. If that motor were about 70hp and the boat bottom were about a foot wider in width, that little boat would really have some serious potential for a 14'-er....

Default That...

... would be a fun play-toy. But look at the room lost out of an already small boat. Better to hang an outboard off the transom for both room and serviceability.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default jim creek flats

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    If I had a boat like that with a thin poly bottom I might be tempted to try the Jim Creek flats in a jet boat again.
    i tried that in my sportjon with a 250 opti. was mid summer, i imagine if anyone wanted to accomplish now would be the time or in the next couple of weeks. anyone ever make a clean run from the flats to the safehaven dunes?

akriverrat, how well did you do running the flats? My trip through the flats was no where near clean, actually it was the exact opposite.

I saw a guy in a small jon with jet almost make a clean run. It was perfect until all of a sudden he jetted out of the channel and tried to jump a sand bar. I had no idea what he was doing at that point in time. All three occupants were suddenly stairing at the bow. I'm willing to bet his run in went smoothly though.

I was thinking it was a great idea, except for the space issue. I also doubt it has seen the water yet, I'd be curious as how the inlet grate is set up and if some sort of stomp grate could be installed. I also wondered how the power to width ratio worked out and how loud it would be with no engine cover (as well as being exposed to the weather). I'd love to see it in action in the skinny water.