Thread: Clamming

Default Clamming

anyone going for clams this weekend? any access points other than clam gulch? going thru the old ADFG reports they say good clamming can be had from the mouth of the Kenai all the way down to anchor river. Good luck to all that go

Default I'd dispute that

Quote Originally Posted by komocazie74 View Post
    anyone going for clams this weekend? any access points other than clam gulch? going thru the old ADFG reports they say good clamming can be had from the mouth of the Kenai all the way down to anchor river. Good luck to all that go
    There may be clams from the mouth of the Kenai southward, but you're not going to run into any harvestable amounts until you reach the area between Cohoe and Clam Gulch. From there it varies between marginal to great (though of late many beaches have been overharvested). I have even found razor clams on Bishops Beach all the way to the spit. They are there, just have to look harder for them. As for personal hot spots... good luck on that.

Default clams

The only viable place to dig clams these days is Ninilchik. Clam Gulch is going thru a cycle and has tons of tiny clams. Should be good in couple years buy many have elected to leave them alone for now. South of the tractor launch at Deep Creek is a bit tougher digging and not as many but bigger size. My 2 cents.

Default littlenecks and butter clams

I know the answer, but was wondering if anyone has found these along the road system. Wont head accross Homer until I take the boat down for butt fishing in June.

Default Along turnigan arm

I have seen several people digging what appeared to be clams as best I could see while driving by. This was along the highway in the marshes on the mountain side of the road. Anyone know if these were clams or something else?

I have pretty good luck at mile post 131. Rozak park. Pretty easy access and not to far of a walk for average size clams.

Quote Originally Posted by mntmaster View Post
    I have seen several people digging what appeared to be clams as best I could see while driving by. This was along the highway in the marshes on the mountain side of the road. Anyone know if these were clams or something else?
    Those guys were probably dippin for hoolies!

Default I don't think so

Quote Originally Posted by y0gee View Post
    Those guys were probably dippin for hoolies!
    I think I know the difference between a shovel and a net. The were digging in the mud on the mountain side of the road, opposite to the water. I saw the people doing it when I was on my way to dip for hoolies. I have seen people doing this 3 times total and everytime wish I would have stopped to ask them what was up with that.

Found a secret spot today at milepost 1435 (well... as the crow flies, anyway). Limits are a wee bit less generous there, but still well worth the effort. Good news is you limit faster, and get 'em all cleaned a lot quicker, too!

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=197027
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default Heading out to Ninilchik

I'm heading out to Ninilchik right now. I'll post results (or lack thereof) when I return.
    Matt Drayton, Chef de Cuisine
    Captain Steve's Fishing Lodge
    www.captainstevesfishinglodge.com

Thumbs up Success at Cape Ninilchik

Got there on the tide this AM, picked up 2 doz. pretty quickly (all I wanted or needed).

Last edited by meat_purveyor; 05-05-2008 at 18:36. Reason: fixed image coding
    Matt Drayton, Chef de Cuisine
    Captain Steve's Fishing Lodge
    www.captainstevesfishinglodge.com

Woo Hoo!

Definitely some BIG mossbacks in there.

Ninilchik was always my favorite place to dig.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

good lookin razors. we ended up at whiskey gulch, all of ours were butters no razors. wish i could go down tommorow as its a -5.4 but gotta work.

Will this coming weekend be any good for clamming? It's a negative tide, but not much. Just wondering if it'd be worth driving down there for a little digging? If so, what's a decent access point? The missus is lookin forward to getting some clams, but our work schedules don't match up too well with the good tides.

Default butters at clam gulch?

probably not... most likely you dug surf clams (sometimes called pink-necks or hokagai)
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default Polly Creek?

I am jumping in the Cessna 180 tomorrow at about 8:00 AM and heading down the west side of cook inlet for 1/2 5 gallon bucket of clams, don't want to slog across the mud flats with more than that, all in the 5 to 8 inch variety. Low tide is at 10:40 and I should be back in Eagle River by about 1:30

Default While your jumping...

... IN your 180, who will be flying it? And please be careful not to bang your head on the headliner while you jump. Maybe you should save your jumping till you land.

Seriously, however, we're all appropriately envious. Cool you can do that. What does that make 1/2 bucket of clams worth $itarily speaking?

Default Pink necks!

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    probably not... most likely you dug surf clams (sometimes called pink-necks or hokagai)
    We call them red necks! A little more masculine for so rough looking a clam.

Default C 180

I will be flying it and who in their right mind would jump out of a perfectly good running airplane ..... If you live a long time and make a few good decisions along the way and stick with it you get to do stuff like this.

I think 5 batches of chowder cost about $100.00 in gas, if you throw in the new and bigger engine we put in it last summer .... forgetaboutit ...