Thread: Four wheelin near Eielson AFB

Default Four wheelin near Eielson AFB

While messing around with google earth I noticed some roads/trails that look like they're pretty close to Eielson AFB. Are there any restricted areas near the base? What would be the best place to find out more information on where I can and can't go. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Default Jonnson Rd

Johnson Rd. (not sure if I spelled it right) there is a ton of access. I think you have to take an ATV safety class and follow that road closed signs if there are active training going one but the country is beautiful. Im sure others have dealt with the permission issues and what you have to do to get on Military land. Pretty cool riding back there. I have gone up there with a friend of mine that is in the Military, that how I got on.

Your best bet is to contact a riding buddy (if you know someone) that is military. They can make the process very easy for you. If you don't have a military friend you will need to call the base and ask what needs to be done to ride these trails. I can almost guarantee they are not going to let you on the base to ride without a military member being with you. It comes down to a security and safety issue. In never hurts to ask though. Go to or call the "main" gate and talk to the Security Forces folks. They can get you the information and contact numbers you need. There should be an outdoor recreation office on the base. Those guys should be able to tell you what needs to be done. All military members are "REQUIRED" to take an ATV safety course at the base before they are permitted to ride on base property. This should be the same for anyone else that wants to ride. Don't expect the safety course to happen very quickly. You may have to wait a few weeks for them to get enough folks to make the class worth it. I know that sounds like a big hassle but it is for your safety. Too many places to get hurt on a military base to have everyone running around unsupervised.

Personally, I'm in the military and the process is such a pain in the ass that I would never ride on base...but then again, I have tons of trails near my house so it is not that big of a deal. Hope this helps...at least it will get you started.
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

Default Riding in the Yukon Training Area (YTA)

Last edited by AKFishOn; 05-03-2008 at 13:46. Reason: Added more links

Eielson AFB does not encompass that much land. Most of the area surrounding the base falls into one of the YTA's (Yukon Training Areas). They are numbered and some days one may be closed for army exercises, other days they might all be open. You need to go to the Pass/ID shack out in front of Fort Wainwright to get a RAP (Recreation Access Permit i think) and then you will be able to utilize army training lands for recreation as long as you follow the rules and check in.

You can get a USATRAK pass and there is a number to call that you tell them the area you will be in and they will log it and also let you know any restrictnions and closures..

there is as much info as you will ever need.. its an easy process to get the pass. Just goto the Front Gate of FT WW or Eielson and you can get the pass.

http://www.usarak.army.mil/conservat...Recreation.pdf

Default Trails Around Eielson

There are many trails in Salcha and in the Yukon Training Area (YTA). Be ready for some mud on the Salcha trails...they're primarily used by dog-mushers in the winter, and some turn into serious swamp in the summer. To ride on Eielson AFB, or cross parts of it to get to the YTA I would call the Natural Resources office on Eielson (377-5182) and talk with Brett or Tom about what's required. Since the YTA is Army, you probably have to call them each time you go to make sure they aren't playing out there. You can access it from either Eielson AFB, the Chena River, or the end of Johnson Road in Salcha. Civilians may need a permit, I'm military and ride out there a lot, but I don't know what civilians need. The pipeline also goes right through there, and if you don't want to get hassled by Alyeska security you should stop at the Guard Shack at Pump Station 8 (end of Johnson Rd - right before you enter military land) and get a RUG permit. They can't make you get one, but it sures saves a lot of harassment if Alyeska security stops you.

I think the road u see is the eielson farmers loop. That takes you basically on the old richardson highway and it will take you to the flood channel in moose creek all the way out to johnson road in salcha. Lots of trails on johnson. Good mud during spring too. There is still good mud some places there. Have fun out there. Up toward the top of johnson is the military trainging place. Not really supposed to be there but we do it sometimes. I live in salcha so i know about the trails. Have fun!!

Has anyone taken the Johnson Rd. trail all the way out to the old gold dredge on Caribou Creek? Curious as to what the trail conditions are like.

Default Caribou Creek

Don't know if it is Caribou Creek but I had a bait stand way way out there and the closer you get to the water....less trees lots and lots of bugs/musgek and the trail goes away. I am thinking of heading further back but will go with my atv tracks on....very deep muddy and muskegy

A buddy of mine has some mining claims out there and I've wanted to go. But from his description of the trail conditions it might be better to fly out.