Thread: Seward Bear?

Default Seward Bear?

My work is sending me too Seward for a week, and will have the afternoons off. Only really been down there to fish, but figured I would take my bow along to give me something to do in the afternoons. Can anyone point me too a few trails that might be worth an afternoon hike? Thanks

Never hunted seward like you but the bear i saw was next to the out buildings along the trail to exit glacier. Got photos of that one about 4 years ago.

Default seward bear

try the lost lake area if the snow is still not to deep?

Default Seward

Pick up a copy of the Alaska Atlas Gazetteer. It shows you where most of the trails are in any area. There is a lot of bear in that area, but I wouldn't imagine there is necessarily one area better then another. I have see bear signs on Ptarmigan trail & Crescent Lake trails if that helps any.

Also, if you are not IBEP certified already you might want to check with Fish & Game before heading to go hunting in unit 15 with your bow, as I believe unit 15 requires an IBEP certification. I have not hunted this area with bow, so I am not a 100% positive.

Good luck.

Default Thanks

I have my IBEP card, and thanks for reminding me to look in my Gazeatteer, completely forgot about it being in the closet. Google Earth often shows trails for alot of AK, but it didn't have any when I looked. Also don't have the subscription.

Seward is unit 7

Default Seward

Quote Originally Posted by aktrouttamer View Post
    Seward is unit 7
    Your right aktrouttamer.

Default Call Sweard AST

Trooper Cloward who's the local fish/game trooper may be able to point you in the right direction. Lost Lake would be the best bet for spring, and then the slopes above the trail out to Lowel Point. Lowel Point trail is a great spot in the fall. Had several chances at bears there last fall--but they are solidly on the lat run of pink salmon, so strictly a hide hunt and never found one big enough to make me decide to pull the trigger. Still fun hunting.

If you are bow hunting, you can look up at Iron Mountain. Some huge bears there in the fall as well, but within city limits (which extends to the vertical face of the mountain) and prevents use of a firearm. If you have questions about city boundries for gun, also check with AST or Seward PD has a nice map in their office and can show you where to avoid issues.

Will
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

Unhappy I'm Back

Thanks for all the info, Lost Lake Trail still had 4' or more of snow infront of it along with majority of the trails heading out of Town. Weather was pretty crappie all week. Still a ton of snow and nothing green down there. Might had back towards the end of the month.