Thread: Refinishing a synthetic stock

Default Refinishing a synthetic stock

This is a first for me.

I'm refinishing a synthetic stock for a Weatherby Vanguard bought by my son.

Do I need to take all the paint/coating right down to the fiberglass before applying the primer coat? Or just smooth out the existing coating and prime from there?

Thanks...jim

I asked about refinishing a scope in this forum and one of the mebers suggested DuraCoat. Looks like a great product and no prep other than cleaning needed. If paint is flaking off I'm sure you would want to get all loose material off.

http://www.duracoat-firearm-finishes.com/

Default Stock work

Duracoat looks good!
    But Depends on what you have. Some are compatible, some not. If you knew what they started with, your supplier can tell you. If the paint isn't to expensive, a touch of surface prep with 400+ grit, wipedown with the same stuff they sold you for thinner. try it. You probably aren't going to kill it. If going for perfection...strip it. Hope there's no checking....

Default No checking...

There's no checking on the stock. It is a very study synthetic stock with some chips that we have sanded down to the fiberglass. Just don't want to go too far with it, or have a bad subsurface for the primer. Thanks.