Thread: Stump Lake in Montague Island

Default Stump Lake in Montague Island

Does anyone have information about the fishing in July at Stump Lake? A few friends and I will be at Log Jam Cabin in July and I am wondering what to expect for the fishing. Is there a native population of fish that will keep us busy and having fun or will it be a slow pick? Also - how is the bear population there?

Default The bears are there...

Stump bay has a healthy population of brown bears. Can't chime in on the fishing as we haven't tried it there. But, the brownies are willing to take your deer and DO come running to your location after gun shots! We lost a few to a "dinner bell" bear in there a few years back.
    BK

Default Fishing at Stump Lake - Montegue Island

Anyone ever fish stump lake? We will be at log jam cabin in july, what type of fish is in the lake and what is fishing from the beach like? Can I expect to catch halibut off the beach?

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Stump bay has a healthy population of brown bears. Can't chime in on the fishing as we haven't tried it there. But, the brownies are willing to take your deer and DO come running to your location after gun shots! We lost a few to a "dinner bell" bear in there a few years back.
    BK
    Just curious, if this happens what are you supposed to do? Just let the bear have the deer or try and push scare them off it? Reason I ask is I watched the utube video with the bear taking the deer but at the same time I read that we shouldn't let the bears associate anything we do with food.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Let 'em have it, they're already conditioned to the shots, dinner bell thing.
    When deer hunting Kodiak you have to get your deer out of there ASAP because the bears come a runnin'!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MNViking View Post
    Just curious, if this happens what are you supposed to do? Just let the bear have the deer or try and push scare them off it? Reason I ask is I watched the utube video with the bear taking the deer but at the same time I read that we shouldn't let the bears associate anything we do with food.
    My guess is that they generally will eat the gut pile after the hunter leaves anyway. This is a food source that exists for them and provides protien without much effort for them. If they are hungry enough to come for it while the hunter is still there then let them have it and don't encourage a confrontation with the bear. As far as fishing stump lake there are no halibut in fresh water. I have no experience with this lake, but on similar lakes I like to throw small spoons and spinners and see what I get.

Bring a brown bear tag. Friends had a bad encounter with a brown while deer hunting, when they didn't have a tag, they went back the next year with a tag and didn't see a single bear.

Haven't fished the sake, but if it supports a salmon run it should have some nice rainbows or lake trout.