Thread: Anchor river kings

Default Anchor river kings

I'm planning a trip to visit a friend in Homer at the end of May. I was wondering if it's worth it to fish for kings in the Anchor river. Also, what is the best gear to use and tide to fish? We tried for silvers last August and only caught one all day.
    Also, do charters go out of Homer for saltwater kings?

As long as there are kings in there willing to bite in the river, fishing with a chunk of eggs are all you need. There are only certain days you can fish the Anchor river for kings so check the regs. The best tide people say to fish is on the flood to push the fish in, but I have caught fish on high and low tides. Finding holes where the fish are holding is just as important on a small river like that. Sometimes the best times to fish is whenever you have a chance. There are charter boats that fish for the kings and it will be a combo trip most likely going for halibut and kings.

Thanks for the reply. Do you meen fishing with cured roe? And do the bait shops sell it? Thank you.

Yeah, cured roe. Some of the bait shops sell a little container of the gooey stuff as long as it is in stock. I like to cure my own roe as I don't like the extreme gooeyness of the stuff in the store and it just adds that little thing of "doing it myself." So all you need is eggs, a bobber, a few split shot and a 5/0 hook with 25 to 30# line on you rod and reel and you're set. If you're not getting bit, look at the people that do get bit and watch what they're doing. Some people are pretty cool about sharing information, even bait and an area where the fish seem to be hanging out to help someone out, while others can be weird about encroaching on "their spot"

I live in Sacramento and we fish the river the same way when the kings come up. I've never tried using a bobber though, thats a good idea. Do you use a roe knot to keep the bait on the hook? A lot of people where I'm from also use beads and "floss", kind of like fishing in the Homer hole.
    We won't be able to fish salmon this year or probably next so hopefully I can catch a few in Alaska for the smoker.