Thread: PWS

Default PWS

This weekend I am planning on venturing out through Culross. I have always fished in closer and don't have any clue as to where might be a decent place to fish. I have heard that around Applegate Island there is decent fishing for halibut. Any additional input would be greatly appreciated.

Just outside of Main bay has been good to me this year. I have picked up a variety of fish there.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

130 pounder at Applegate this past weekend, I would go there, lol. So thats two 130 pounders in the sound in a month, good thing I had a friend to give all the meat away this time.

Default This weekend ...

My family and I will be out of Whittier this weekend. Haven't done a lot of fishing out of there, but you are more than welcome to hail me and check to see how we're doing. Boat's named "Gambler".

The plan so far is to drop our shrimp pots do a little bit of cruising down towards Main bay and fish somewhere around there. Of course, if a buddy of mine comes through, are plans may change significantly. Either way, give me a shout. With fishing so spotty sometimes, I think it is always nice to help out our fellow fishermen!

-- Gambler

Question Halibut/cod

I will be out Monday (weather permitting) from Whittier. We would also like to catch Cod and rockfish. Towards Main/Eshamy has been good in the past. Any thoughts on places close to whitter if the weather is inconsistent? We are willing to fish as deep as 500 feet/ if need be. We are celebrating my lower 48 pops 80th birthday and he would be happy with any type/size of fish-any reasonable rockfish spots near Whittier/Shelter Bay? Thanks!

silvers are hanging around perry and between perry and lone there is some inconsistent halibut holes. Montague has more consistent butt fishing. I try not to target the rockfish but like to barbi them on board when I do.

Smile

Thanks for the info. Hope the weather holds for the weekend.

I wonder if they are any closer then pigot point now. I think next week I will go one day and try
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Black Rockfish

I've been looking for black rockfish in PWS. Will anyone give up any secrets on how to find them? I want to stay away from the quillbacks, yelloweye, and tigers. They are too easy to find, and limit of only two.

I'll try to attatch a pic of what I caught while targeting black rockfish last weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kingfisher 2525. 225, 20, and 2hp Hondas.

Got Toys,
    Although I was targeting Halibut this last weekend I see that you did much better than we did. We ended up with 3 chickens and 3 silvers. Wish I could help ya out with the bass, I haven't found a good spot yet. As for the silvers we watched alot of boats catch silvers all day long. I was just to stubborn to fish for them.

South end of knight Island as a few decent spots for black sea bass.
    Around Eshter hatcery to.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I caught this pile near the S. side of Knight. Like I said rockfish are easy to find, but I catch about 10 before I finally hook a Black Rockfish. I'll have to try the hatchery area. I always fish in shallow water (under 80') to keep the mortality rate down. If I kill 'em, I keep 'em, so sometimes it don't take long to get the limit of 2 ea. (in posession) non-pelagic. Can put a damper on fishing the rest of the weekend, as we've caught yelloweye on a big circle hook in 200' of water. Here's a (partial) list of what we caught over the weekend.
    Halibut, silvers, humpy, ling cod, flounder. Yellow eye, copper, black, tiger, quillback rockfishes. 6 quarts of cleaned shrimp. There are so **** many silvers it seems the limit should be more than 3 in posession. I caught these trying to get my lure past them for rockfish.
    Kingfisher 2525. 225, 20, and 2hp Hondas.

Ok, I've been threatening to go fishing out of Whittier all summer long but other commitments keep getting in the way. Well, I say NO MORE! This time I'm gonna do it and the wife is even insisting I go. Probably to get me to stop whining so much.

A friend and I are taking my boat either Friday or next Monday and we'll be targeting Silvers. Have they made it to Pigot Point in any decent numbers yet? Would it be worth our time to troll from Whittier to Pigot? Any other places to check out for silvers?

How has the water been lately? Rough? I'm out of the country right now and haven't checked the buoy info in a week. I'll be posting something here on our results once we get back.