Thread: Animal Tracking

Default Animal Tracking

Just wondering if anyone knows of any good books or videos on animal tracking. I really enjoyed tracking throughout my hunting life, probably most of you do too. Thanks

Default The Tracker

The Tracker by Tom Brown is an excellent read. I believe that he has other books out there, too. He also runs a school on tracking.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Big Bucks the Benoit Way by Bryce Towsley is good. It is on deer, but most of the tips can transfer over to other critters easily. AT least I thought so...

three books I would recommend are:
    Tom Brown Jr., The science and Art of tracking
    Tom Brown's Field Guide -Nature Observation and Tracking-

The SAS Guide to Tracking by Bob Carss

Lots of great theory that is easy to understand and apply in the dirt.

Default Tracker

I went on-line and sent for those books. I hope they are good. I usually do a spot and stalk but a couple of times with Elk and Blacktail I've tracked animals. With one Blacktail in particular I was charged when I snuck in so quiet he thought I was competition.

I'm curious what insightful information will be provided. Sounds like almost a religious pursuit for that guy. Patriartical native teachings and such.......

I learned the most from Tom Browns books. Info on sexing the animal from its gait and so on. Females hips are wider for birthing and thus the rear tracks are farther apart then the front. I need a near perfect set of tracks to get this kind of info and I have only been teaching myself for a couple of years now. Always learning. It was frustrating at first b/c you can see the track right in front of you but I didn't really know what I was looking at until you get hit with the epiphany. Having a mentor would help out tremendously. Also lots of toe counting info and tricks for ID-ing the smaller critters.

I had to learn how to get rid of my "city walk" before I actually got close to anything. Patience was the hardest thing for me to learn. We drive everywhere at 50-60 miles an hour and learning how to slow down to the pace of the forest was nerve racking for me. These skills are priceless. I started learning on the east coast stalking whitetail and racoons. As far as Alaska goes its the Holy Grail for animal diversity. I love it here!!! Truly amazing place!!!

Just curious what footwear people are using for stalking here. I used to use a leather mock b/c you could feel every little twig but they wore out so fast and no grip in the wet. Started wearing a thin soled waterproof sneaker but no ankle support. Is there a middle ground here??? My boots feel like swim flippers slapping the ground. Thinking of sanding down the tread until just less than half was left. They wouldn't be good for much else after that....... Sorry to hijack your thread

Default Article by Tom Brown, Jr.

Here is an article written by Tom Brown, Jr. in 1982 titled: At Home in the Wilderness: Animal Tracking

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Moder...-Tracking.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Yooper916 View Post
    Big Bucks the Benoit Way by Bryce Towsley is good. It is on deer, but most of the tips can transfer over to other critters easily. AT least I thought so...
    The Benoits books are some great stories and information. Those guys really know how to track hunt deer.