Thread: Tikka T3 .270 WSM Modifications

Default Tikka T3 .270 WSM Modifications

I am thinking about purchasing a Tikka T3 Stainless in .270wsm for a light carry rifle. With a 3-9X40 Ziess, this setup would by about 7 pounds. Is there anything I could do to possibly drop a 1/2 - 1 pound off that.

Maybe flute the barrel? Any Suggestions would help? Can it even be done?

Default 270 Win

Quote Originally Posted by idahotrophyhunter View Post
    I am thinking about purchasing a Tikka T3 Stainless in .270wsm for a light carry rifle. With a 3-9X40 Ziess, this setup would by about 7 pounds. Is there anything I could do to possibly drop a 1/2 - 1 pound off that.

Maybe flute the barrel? Any Suggestions would help? Can it even be done?
    The 270 Win would be somewhat lighter due to it's shorter barrel length. The actions are the same length. I would be cautious about fluting the tube; it might induce a stress that could reduce accuracy. A lighter scope might reduce weight as well.
    Good Luck.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Your at least a $1000 off of what your looking for, Rem Ti or NULA. You just dont find many rifles in the 6 lb range all up with scope, they cost lots and lots of money.

Default Custom

I'm afraid Cub is right! fluted barrels, fluted bolts, McMillan stocks etc., getting a 6 pound rifle speaks, Basner, Mcwhorter, HS Precision, Nosler, etc. Your looking to spend at least $2500 and up. Looks like your looking for a sheep rifle.

Leupold 3-9x32mm Ultralight scope and Talley LW rings, you can't get a lighter setup than that.

Fluting your barrel would make it less stiff, maybe affecting the whip and maybe the accuracy. Personally I would rather carry the extra 1/2 lb. No more dessert.

I just got back from a friends tonight and was handling his TIKKA T3 Lite 270 WSM. Nice rifle, *plastic* stock and all. Really nice trigger. I recomend he he fill the stock with expanding foam to deaden it. He thought it was a good idea. He is loading 130 gr TSX's and getting about .4 MOA at about 3200 fps. He's real happy with it and has shot antelope, deer, elk, and black bear with it and dropping them in their tracks for the most part.

Thank you for all your suggestions. I am looking for a light weight sheep/goat gun and thought this would be the ticket. Don't want to spend 3000 on a custom because I won't use it enough to justify the expense + the .375 I just built cost enough that a Tikka is about my only option.

I am really liking the idea of the .270 wsm in a stainless model. That with a 3-9X Ziess, or maybe the 3-9X36 swarovski. Going to go buy one from Cabelas this afternoon!!!! I am thinking about loading 130 partitions at 3100-3200 fps. What do you think of this load/

Lastly, lets say I wanted to test it's worth on a Canadian Moose hunt I have this year...Would you think? 150 grain Noslers at 2900-3000?

Default Works for ME

Quote Originally Posted by idahotrophyhunter View Post
    Lastly, lets say I wanted to test it's worth on a Canadian Moose hunt I have this year...Would you think? 150 grain Noslers at 2900-3000?
    Using the 270 WSM and the above load should be a very doable moose hunt. Just practice and watch bullet placement.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default 270 for moose

idahotrophyhunter I have been guideing moose hunters here in Canada for 23 years now, even though the 270 has killed lots of moose it is a bad choice. If you can shoot your 375 bring it! The 270 will work but you will have to be careful of the angle and distance. Remember you are paying a lot of money to come here and hunt so your needs will be different than someone who lives here and has 3 months to get his moose, you might get only one shot and it might not be perfect! I know a lot of guys on here wont agree with that, but I have seen a ton of moose taken over the years and have had to track many moose shot with a 270. If you do bring it make sure you have good bullets, like barnes tsx. good luck and have fun! what part of Canada are you hunting??

Northern BC on the Yukon border is were the hunt is. You are totally right - I bulit the 375 for this hunt and my move to Alaska at the end of the month and will be using it. The 260 accubonds group better than I can shoot, but I can still put 3 rounds in Silver dollar at 200 yards.

The gun weighs 10 pounds with the S&B Scope...Guess I am the one that will be losing 5 pounds...Not the gun!!

Default kimber montana

Have you taken a look at the Kimber Montana? I went through the same thing you are going through. Not ready to pay $1500-$3000, but wanting something really nice and light. The Kimber Montana will set you back about $1000, but mine in 7mm-08 weighs in at 6.25 pounds with a full magazine, sling, and Leupold 3x9x33mm Ultralight scope. If you buy a Tikka T3 and modify it you could end up with a rifle that costs about the same, weighs more, and might not shoot as well. I haven't had the chance to shoot the Kimber much yet since I'm waiting for dies...and vacation...but once I get the barrel broken in and some loads worked up I'll try to report how it went. I can say it's a JOY to carry! Light, short, and very well balanced.

I got my Kimber Montana for sheep and goat hunting, but with a well placed shot a 140gr Accubond going near 2900fps should be enough for moose. I have other rifles that would be better for moose but I'm planning a combo sheep+moose hunt in 2009 and since I always bring my bow as a first option I'll only be bringing one rifle, and it's going to be the Kimber.

I cut 2.5" off my Tikka .270 WSM and it still shoots great, most accurate gun I've ever owned, I would guess it lost about 6-8 oz., plus being a little shorter doesn't hurt. I did it myself b/c I have access to a lathe, but I wouldn't imagine a gunsmith would charge very much, simple operation. I haven't shot it through a chrono, but highly doubt it lost very much speed.

I also have a Zeiss Conquest 3 by 9, not totally sold on it being that much better than Leupold VXIII, plus it's a little larger, unsure of weight difference.

Quote Originally Posted by cdrandy View Post
    I cut 2.5" off my Tikka .270 WSM and it still shoots great, most accurate gun I've ever owned, I would guess it lost about 6-8 oz., plus being a little shorter doesn't hurt. I did it myself b/c I have access to a lathe, but I wouldn't imagine a gunsmith would charge very much, simple operation. I haven't shot it through a chrono, but highly doubt it lost very much speed.
    Theres only 3 oz of difference between the 22" Tikkas (ex 270 Win) and the 24" Tikkas (ex 270WSM).

Default I Bought It!!!

I couldn't get down to buy my Tikka last week becuase my wife had our first child!!!!!!!!!!

But I went down yesterday - Bought the stainless 270 wsm topped with a swarovski 3-9X36....Going to get aftermarket Burris Rings. Can't wait to shoot it!!!! Got dies - going to load some 130 grain accubonds and som 150 partitions and see what it can do...I think this may be the sheep/goat gun that will let me finish my slam!!!