Thread: I need 3/16, 1/8 expanded metal, mesh, etc

Default I need 3/16, 1/8 expanded metal, mesh, etc

Ok, I have gotten my 1/2 in expanded metal, but, can't get anyone to send me 3/16 expanded, 1/8 expanded, 1/8 mesh...

if you have some to sell, or know where to get it, please let me know...i've done mcnichols, all the AK metal shops, etc....all I could get was basically 1/2 in for one reason or another...

most of mine are just 2 ft x 1 ft sheets...one or two 2 ft x 3 ft for my hopper....

thanks
    jssbastiat@aol.com
    Scotty in the AK bush

if i were you i would call a local sheetmetal shop, they can either tell yiou were to get it or they have scraps there they would probably sell you. i am laid off of the shop i worked at or i would ask the boss. i cant tell you where but they come up with some off the wall stuff. we had an order for stainsless screen 1/32 openings for a guy that needed it for a sifter. we used all we ordered but most of the people know where to get it. try general mechanical or another sheetmetal fabricator shop. hope i helped and good luck.jeff

Default would metal lathe work?

I get it from ASG and use it for my masonry work. 2 1/2' x 8' sheets. not sure about different mesh size.

Default TRY

Check Home Depot and Lowes they sell 1ft x 2 ft pieces in the hardware dept., as well as expanded metal.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default still have not gotten any shipped here...

well, at this point, home depot wants me to get someone to go out there and ship it...i live in the bush, so, can't do that....i've had an offer of $110 for a 12 x 24 in piece, but, I need two of those, but ,the guy has been really nice to email me back, so, i'm hoping i get a better offer tomorrow....

So, I'm down to having my parents run around and look for it in texas....everyone from here to the east coast says that the one thing they don't carry is 3/16...and that is the backbone of the sluice i have built....

so, keep your ears open, i'd appreciate any help...i'm leaving for nome next thursday I think, so....need to get it together...

thanks for teh help,
    scotty
    Scotty in the AK bush

Where were these guys 5 months ago? Now we can get it from China straight from the manufacturer. Does anyone have a credit card I can borrow so I can get my order in? I might also need your birthdate, SS number, bank account number, your moms madien name and some DNA from your dog.

Hi, i am the owner of a washington only outdoors website, washingtonfishingfools.

Here in Kent Washington there is a couple of suppliers for metals which will ship UPS and they will custom cut whatever sizes you need.
    metal supermarkets and specialty metals.

give them a try.
    Phish

Default Mesh and Expanded Metal

May also want to check out some manufacturers and Mcmaster Carr industrial supply.

Usually when i need this material I either go here:

http://www.bwire.com/

or

http://www.mcmaster.com/#

Both usually always have exactly what I am looking for. Mcmaster's price varies a lot, and I get the feeling that they are more of a buy/sell operation than anything. They buy from a manufacturer, repackage, and jack up the price a little bit to swing a profit. But, price isnt everything, when I need something I would pay almost anything to get it done.

Good Luck

Am I missing something? You can find this stuff in any number of metal supply stores in ANC or FAI....where in the bush are we talking? Try Greer, AK Steel, C & R......

if you need it in bulk you can order it from other countries. However for single piece, i guess normally you can get it for some extra charges as this is not standard expanded metal size..

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out as I'm after some expanded metal too.

its always effective to use perforated metal mesh for your construction solution, its really good. I tried it for my own home and its working great

Quote Originally Posted by jssbastiat View Post
    Ok, I have gotten my 1/2 in expanded metal, but, can't get anyone to send me 3/16 expanded, 1/8 expanded, 1/8 mesh...

if you have some to sell, or know where to get it, please let me know...i've done mcnichols, all the AK metal shops, etc....all I could get was basically 1/2 in for one reason or another...

most of mine are just 2 ft x 1 ft sheets...one or two 2 ft x 3 ft for my hopper....

thanks
    jssbastiat@aol.com

You might try searching on Ebay in their business and commercial category: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=....c0.m270.l1313
    "I love my country...it's the government I'm scared of"

Quote Originally Posted by phishisgroovin View Post
    Hi, i am the owner of a washington only outdoors website, washingtonfishingfools.

Here in Kent Washington there is a couple of suppliers for metals which will ship UPS and they will custom cut whatever sizes you need.
    metal supermarkets and specialty metals.

give them a try.
    Phish
    It's not widely known in the lower 48, but UPS (and Fedex) shipping is prohibitively expensive to use in Alaska. There are few (or no) roads to the Alaska bush, so that means everything has to go by air. I've found both are generally about 3X as expensive to use as the postal system. Even their "ground" parcel service is expensive here...
    "I love my country...it's the government I'm scared of"

I don't know how much you might need but try Home Depot and look at the replacement screens for the hoods over the stove. I saw some screens there that are aluminum and some are really fine. Great for cleanup slice.

For any of the mesh products - use Belleville - http://www.bwire.com/index.html

They dont do the expanded or perforated material though - for perf try Harrington and King or CLARK PERFORATED in Minn.