Thread: bead crazy

Default bead crazy

I see that some of you are getting cabin fever waiting for things to thaw out. I have a un-guided float planned in August. This will be my 5th trip to Alaska. On the last trip to the Kanektok we learned about bead fishing. So, in preperation for this years trip I have been getting my beads together. I think I have 'bead fever'. I've got your basic nail polished beads. I've done the spray paint lunch bag beads..(which is quick and easy to get whatever colors you want)..I've got Beads from Troutbeads.com. I've made up some of the "claymore" beads. The last batch I played with was the hot glue beads. Which was OK but was not giving me what I wanted. So I got some regular hot glue and some epoxy pigment and made up some beads on 1/16 welding rod. I used a piece of aluminum on a hot plate as a palate (sp) Below is a sample of the colors you can come up with. They look very good in water (which is hard to see in the photo) and you can make them as translucent or swirled as you want. Friends don't let friends get bead fever.
    Tony
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails f1.jpg   f3.jpg  

Default Cabin fever?

I would say you have it. Nothing wrong with that. You will be putting the beads to use soon. Give lots of thought on what salmon will be around. We floated the Goodnews (near the Kanektok) last Sept and found that the beads worked well. I was surprised to see that the fish would hit many different colors, but were picky about size. I had read before that they would hit different sizes, but had specific color preferences. I guess it depends on where you are fishing. On more heavily pressured rivers, I am sure the rules are different. I got the kit from Troutfitters. It outfished my buddies claymore eggs in a big way. We did not do so well with the glue eggs either. The lighter/mottled pinks did best for us. But I am sure that stuff changes all the time. Even on the same river. It was my first time fishing beads so I am certainly no one to be giving advice. But they are fun to fish with (and extremely effective). While they outfished our esl, battle creeks, and polar shrimp on the little dollies. We caught our biggest dollies/bows on purple esl with pink heads. Not sure why, but that is what we found. Since cabin fever is in the air, below is a link to some pics from our recent float trips. Two trips in NW Alaska (70-90 miles N of Kotz) and the forementioned trip on the Goodnews in SW Alaska last Sept. When the link opens, you can click on "slideshow" in the upper right side of the page. We will all be fishing soon!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2114408...7603727567944/
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Has anyone tried making their own glass beads? If so how did they turn out.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Thumbs up nice beads

I get bead fever usually around mid august. Last year I sat here and organized all my beads by size, color, my strike indicators by color in prep for my annual kenai fall vacation. My wife just rolls her eyes but she does appreciate it since she uses the beads as much as i do. I have over 300 now. 6's, 8's 10's, clear, cloudy, painted, scuffed, you name it we have. Bead fever is ok and can only be treated by putting them in the water and catching some beautiful fish. One thing I have found out though. I have matched the bead to the eggs i have seen in the water. Usually it does work but there are times i find it does not. I have gone to larger beads (say fishing a 6 but ill go to a 10 especially late in the fall) and had good success. Heck if the beads are not working I only have about 75 leeches, then the mouse's, then the schulpins. You can never have to many of anything on the river.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

I'd reccomend making your beads duller, shiny stuff can scare wary or selective fish. 6mm beads for behind sockeye 8 mm beads for behind kings and chums, those look a lot like chum eggs to me maybe a bit too yellow more pinkish...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Dana, thanks for the photo link. I have been thinking about doing a trip on the Goodnews..now I see what it looks like. Thanks for the heads up on size and the claymore's..I give them to my 'buddies'.

Chuck, One thing I have been thinking about is...I took some king eggs that I have here at home and put them into a bottle of water..within 3 hours they went from their normal orangish translucent color to light pink. They have stayed the same color for 5 weeks now. That would simulate a dead king egg. I goggled images of fertilized eggs and got photos of them. I wonder what % of the eggs get fertilized and what % don't? On top of that..which ones do the trout like best..dead or fertilized? (OK I got bead fever bad) I'll find out in August.

Patrick, You can rub the hot glue eggs in your hands and dull them down. To dull down the shinny store bought ones you can use acetone. I'm guessing your 'purple and root beer' eggs imitate fertilized eggs.

Tony

Don't discount the 12 mil bead on the Upper Kenai. It's worked when all else has failed ~ 6, 8 & 10 mils weren't cutting the mustard and the big bead slammed fish. I can't think of any rhyme or reason as a king egg looks more like what would be a 9 mil bead and nothing in the river looks bigger than a 10. Picked up some 14 mils and painted 'em a day or two ago just in case.

Some bead fever from last winter...

Guides on the upper kenai suspect that the reason big beads are working is because when eggs have been in the water for a few days they bloat and get bigger so if it came out of the fish as an 8 or a 10 it may be a 12 within a few days.

I would recommend nail polish although I have had success without it. Helps give them that milky look.

Troutbeads are some of my favorites, less work and so many colors and sizes!

Cloudy days I have tended to go with more opaque beads and sunny days I have tended towards clearer, brighter beads, unless the fish were eating rot or eggs that were fertilized. Don't know what other people have observed relative to light.

Another interesting thought I picked up over winter is carrying some sharpies to put eye spots on your eggs. Makes them look like the fertilized ones, supposedly it can make all the difference on the right day. I carry a key ring of mini sharpies in my vest just for general convenience.
    River Runnin

Also in regards to glass:

I have shopped hard for glass beads in every bead shop, jewelry store, fabric place, and fishing shop I can find them in. One of the fly shops near me gets his from some outfit in Australia. Long story short, they are hard to find but I think they work better in some conditions because they sink better. Be careful about painted ones, paint chips off glass real easy, it rolls on the rocks and chips a ring within a few casts... They tend to need to be the right color from the start for that reason alone in my experience.... Has anyone found a way of making paint stick better to them?
    River Runnin

Quote Originally Posted by River Runnin View Post
    Also in regards to glass:

I have shopped hard for glass beads in every bead shop, jewelry store, fabric place, and fishing shop I can find them in. One of the fly shops near me gets his from some outfit in Australia. Long story short, they are hard to find but I think they work better in some conditions because they sink better. Be careful about painted ones, paint chips off glass real easy, it rolls on the rocks and chips a ring within a few casts... They tend to need to be the right color from the start for that reason alone in my experience.... Has anyone found a way of making paint stick better to them?
    My GF makes glass beads for jewlery. I think I might try to get her to make some smaller ones for me to fish with
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

If she can make them with a fogged or sand blasted finish they might be really good. The key with glass is having the pigment in the glass itself.
    River Runnin

Can someone post their best bead patterns so I can show her what they should look like. She can do colored glass or multiple colors of glass.

http://www.troutbeads.com/Products.html

They have all the good colors, a variety is key.
    River Runnin

Probably shouldn't mention it or your wife will roll her eyes more but the Alaska selection on trout beads is a $12 savings complete with bead boxes! I usually just buy my beads painted at the fly shop but anticipating my trips down to the kenai this fall I might buy one just cuz it's a good price for a ready made selection of beads I would buy anyway. All it lacks are some 12mm.

Now you guys have the bug back in me... It's been a year or two since I did some hard core beading, now I'm gonna have to drive my fish cat to the kenai in september and october! Gas prices kill me driving from Fairbanks!
    River Runnin