Thread: "Good" accuracy for pistol at 100 yards?

Thumbs up "Good" accuracy for pistol at 100 yards?

I went out to the range on south Cushman today and put a few rounds downrange with the .375 H&H to test a couple loads. After that, it was time to put in some time with the .45 LC to make sure I'll be proficient enough to hopefully kill a bear with it later on this month. I began by shooting five rounds at 25 yards off hand just for grins. After that, I fired ten rounds at 50 yards over my knees. I was quite impressed with my results there. Discounting three fliers, the other seven rounds were right around three inches. Since I had the range to myself, I figured it'd be interesting to see just what I was capable of printing with the same conditions at 100 yards. At this point I only had five rounds remaining and had perforated two targets already. I just had to see what kind of drop I'd get, and the area between my upper and lower target was clean so I figured the top target would be a good aiming point to begin with. I fired all five rounds, then checked out the results. I ended up placing five rounds of hard cast 320s over 9 grains of Unique into 5.25". I was rather impressed, especially since this was my first attempt at target shooting with my 5.5" barreled Ruger Bisley past 50 yards.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    NRA Life Member, Prior F-16 crew chief.

Default Handgun Accuracy

Depending on what kind of handgun you are shooting and the caliber.
    When I shot IHMSA shilouette it wasn't uncommon for guys to shoot single shot pistols with open sights into groups under an inch at 100 yds, off a bench.
    Lots of revolver shooters frequently cleaned the rack with large bores; the targets were life size steel chickens at 100 meters, javalinias at 150 meters. turkeys at 175 meters, and rams at 200 meters. That would be , (I would guess) 4 moa for revolvers, w/barrels under 10" offhand. This was back before anything bigger than 44 mags and 45 LC existed commercially for revolvers.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Nice shooting buddy.

Really nice shooting MT. You should feel good about that grouping.

I'm pretty sure I can't do that with an iron sighted pistol at 100 yards.

Color me impressed.

Smile Thanks!

I gotta admit, my Bisley is a well-tuned piece of machinery. I know that for me, having the light and crisp trigger it does makes it much easier to get that kind of grouping at 100. I think now that I know what's possible, I'm going to start practicing and try to improve on that if I can.
    NRA Life Member, Prior F-16 crew chief.

Quote Originally Posted by MToutdoorsman View Post
    I gotta admit, my Bisley is a well-tuned piece of machinery. I know that for me, having the light and crisp trigger it does makes it much easier to get that kind of grouping at 100. I think now that I know what's possible, I'm going to start practicing and try to improve on that if I can.

Nice shootin' with the Bisley. Who tuned that gun for you. I can see by the pic it has some work in several areas. How'd you come by that one? Consider selling it, since it won't shoot very well?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?