Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shrimping tips

Smile Shrimping tips

I appreciate the "brick tips" on the other thread and know shrimping is a hot topic right about now, so I thought starting a new thread with "shrimping tips" to get everyone thinking about the season might be appropriate. I use canned "gravey" type cat food for bait, with a zip-tie on a plastic container with nail holes in it. (The zip-tie is to keep octapus from opening it.) Why do people drop a single pot in a main traffic area where all boats including the ferry travel constantly?

Default Good Question

Quote Originally Posted by Myers View Post
    Why do people drop a single pot in a main traffic area where all boats including the ferry travel constantly?
    Does anyone lose a pot becuase it get tangled in commericial traffic. Is there a rule about not placing pots in the traffic lane?

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    Does anyone lose a pot becuase it get tangled in commericial traffic. Is there a rule about not placing pots in the traffic lane?
    First of all you need to define "commercial traffic"? tankers going into valdez? seiners around Valdez & Ester Island?? & gillnetters at Ester,Coghill,Culross or Main Bay?? what are you talking about? Why risk losing your gear move it out of harms way until after a commercial opening if its for seiners or gillnetters. Buoys caught and drug in gillnet gear do damage to the net so its no wonder that buoys get cut off if they are in the way. Why should there be a "rule" about placing pots in "traffic" its just common sense to stay out of the way.
    I've given this a lot of thought lately because of all the pots in the areas i gillnet in. What should i do if there are pots in the way? I don't want to just cut off the buoy/buoys i let the pots keep fishing. If i pull the gear to try and move it where do i put it?? closer to the beach doesn't help cause thats where we usually gillnet. In the Main Bay district we have to stay from the beach to 1 mile out, so setting them back outside is also no good, its too deep. What should i do?? I don't want to damage my gear nor do i want to damage someone elses gear.
    There is some kind of law about impeding with a commercial fishing operation but why get into this so deeply when just a little pre thinking would solve most of the problems.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default therein

lies the problem - some people either don't have or don't use common sense...and they don't do their homework.

Default I agree

with potbuilder and Bullelkklr. But PWS does have shipping lanes right?

I did see a lot of pots last year that could create issues for ship and commercial fisherman traffic.

I did see last year someone had a pot in main bay and left it there during an opening. It was nicely placed on a boey with the rope curled up inside. That left a positive impression on me as far as the commercial fishers go.

Potbuilder, you bring up some interesting questions. Not yet into the shrimping, I am not sure what the rules are.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default Didn't want to start a debate, but...

I was wanting to share good tips on better shrimping, but "pot placement" is important and a hot topic so here goes. I feel that if your dumb enough or arrogant enough to place your pots in-line with the flow of boat traffic running in and out of Whittier your just asking for trouble. I have been ten feet from a small faded white single bouy before and had I ran it into my prop, it would be difficult to want to save it after I cut it out. How many people cry that their pots are stolen, but really where did you put them? Common sense tells one to put them near the wall like everyone else, vs right in the middle or in the apex of the corner in Passage Cannal.

Default Dog food

Chicken flavored dog or cat food.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Thank you Dave, I have been using canned cat food and found the gravey kind works better than the more solid kind. I used a mixed of left overs in the fridge and it didn't do well at all compared to the cat food. I have been hitting about 500ft with 100ft of extra line to spare, I want to go deeper, what do you think about the depth issue?

Default Last

We don't have as many shrimp as Whittier. I pull every 24 hours and am getting 70-80 in 250-300 right now. I was deeper and got less.

I run a string of 5 pots. Make the run from deep, 350 going to 250 or so depending on the slope. Make the first pull and see which post got the most. Then lay the string in the same depth as the best pull was from. Shrimp do migrate from different depths, at least over here.

Default By Alaska Department of Fish & Game

Hope they loaded, think they where on the Web Site.
    I just hope I can find a couple King Crab this year, yummmmmmmmmy
    Last edited by alaskapiranha; 11-29-2008 at 12:56.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskapiranha View Post
    Hope they loaded, think they where on the Web Site.
    I just hope I can find a couple King Crab this year, yummmmmmmmmy
    Did they come out with the reg regarding the tanners/king crab for whitter?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Question Gotta ??? Not a tip

Is there an easy method for coiling the rope for the pots so it does not get tangled. Just came back from Whittier today with a few shrimp, but the line gave me fits. It is stiff and kinks and tends to tangle. Any help would be great. Thanks Shane

Default Garden hose reel

I have a plastic garden hose reel, its a wall mount type. I have "three" 600ft lengths of leaded line on mine and it just fits exactly. I painted the ends green and red to deliniate which is the start of the next one and the end of the other, etc. I also tie each of the 600 foot sections off to a spoke on the hose reel so I can let it out with out losing it if I get it spinning. The whole thing fits right down in the floor fish box on my boat. One guy is cranking the handle and reeling it in while the other is being useless. I have done the whole gig alone while my wife is inside reading a magazine also! Ironicly, its like a giant fishing reel, yet your reeling in shrimp.

Default Rope

The best way I have found to deal with the rope is to coil it in a large cooler. Doesn't have to be perfect and have yet to have the rope tangle.

Default Rubbermaid tote

Try coiling your rope in a rubbermaid tote. Have one person pulling and the other coiling in the tote. Let's see some fresh pic's from this year of everyone's catch!
    BK

Default No problem

As the rope comes off of the capstan I just let it lie on the deck in a big pile. As long as you do not disturb the pile, it flows out easily when laying the pots. I have never had a problem.

Thumbs up Flake the line or rode

"Flake" the line (or rode if it is your anchor), and it will return to the depths without problems. This works for your fishing lines also, even your braded halibut gear, having some bad reel repairs I knew that if I flaked the line into a coffee can It would go back on without any tangles, works well. BUT, disturb it like Dave said and its tangled!

Quote Originally Posted by MyKC395 View Post
    Is there an easy method for coiling the rope for the pots so it does not get tangled. Just came back from Whittier today with a few shrimp, but the line gave me fits. It is stiff and kinks and tends to tangle. Any help would be great. Thanks Shane
    Shane,
    I don't coil any rope, i flake it into whatever i'm storing it at the time, i even step on it to make it pack better. I'm thinking the rope you have is the leaded line that they sell in town, yes its very stiff because its made in whats called a "hard lay", there are other styles of rope available that are a softer lay and would flake down better for storage. The other problem that causes rope to kink(********s in fisherman terms) is that it was taken out of the coil,if it came in one, the wrong way. To start a coil rope it should be pulled out of the middle of the coil in a counter clockwise direction & that only on the first time its uncoiled. After setting and hauling it a few times it will be nice and straight and should coil or flake nicely.
    If you have the room stretch out your rope and try to get the twists out of it & that should help it behave next time you use it although it will still be stiff and springy.
    I can't get into rope types on the forum to deeply because the mods tell me that i'm trying to sell stuff on the forums and thats against the rules..

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default Thanks

Thanks for the tips. I think will go with the action packer idea. This is going to save me from a lot of frustration and cursing.

Just a thought on the side...have any of you sectioned off your rope in lets say 100' lengths and used caribiners to attach the sections. This would allow you to use only the line you need (to a point) and not have to roll up the rest and tie it off with the buoy...just thinking out loud.

Shane

Default Action packers

I use 2 of the small ones and each one holds the 600' easily, They tuck away nicely and you can sit on them as well. I did drill 1/2" holes in each corner to drain thw water as well.
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast