Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This past weekend halibut fishing homer

Default This past weekend halibut fishing homer

I could not ask for better weather and the seas were flat. But I have never had to work this hard for halibut in Homer. I have 5 good spots that produce halibut all the time. Well until this weekend. All my holes were infested with then darn spinny dog fish. I think we caught about two dozen of them the whole day. I was getting a little frustrated and sat down and look at my GPS map and decided to take a chance that look good on the map. Well It paid off in a big way. We caught several nice fish and one over 100# on a jig. This thing fought me to the very end.
    Once back at the dock other people there cleaning fish were talking about how many dog fish they were catching.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Thumbs up beautiful water!

We were down there too and the water was great! Saturday got a LITTLE foggy though. A good GPS is a wonderful thing. Overall we kept 19 fish (1 short of our two day limit), nothing big though. Spent Sunday night in Halibut cove with some friends in their cabin. If you haven't been over there, it is beautiful.

We didn't have trouble with the dogfish, but the skates were killing us.

Great weekend though!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

mud- Have you ever tried eating skate wings? They're a little bit of a pain to clean, but they are awesome sauteed in butter. That's what they use for imitation scallops in some cases, so you know they've got to be good.

-Brian

Default hmmmm....

I've heard of that, but I just can't bring myself to keep the nasty looking things! I wouldn't know the first thing about cleaning one either. I'll have to take your word for it! )
    AKmud

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

My friend suggests "fillet and release" for skates. Just cut the wings off, and toss the body back.

HEy Mud funny you said you where in HC on sunday. So were we. We were at the coffe shop then just crusied around there looking at the houses.
    Waht time did you get back to the dock? There was a guy there talking about the skates they caught and I wonder if it was you . We were on the store side cleaning stations.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

skates were pretty bad, but the silvers made up for it!! got 5 people limited out in three hours, 2 days in a row! Halibut the last day was ok, but also noticed the skates and trash fish. Used more bait than I think I ever have before... gonna have to try jigging more- not done that too much but think that'll change
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Swissy; 08-09-2006 at 10:02.
    '04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
    200hp Honda 4stroke
    + multiple other 'toys'...

Default skates and doggies?

Crap, I'm coming up this weekend from Maryland/DC to get away from those critters. They've infested the coast out here for years now.

Oh well, hey we're going out Monday from the fishhouse in Seward for the combo trip. Anyone had any experience w/ that crew. I know they have a ton of boats, but I believe we're with going out with Jimmy on the Perseverance.

Thanks, didn't mean to jack your thread.

Default Skates yes Spiny No

We sure didnt get any Dogfish, but the Skates were out in Full Force - we set a new personal one day record for skate boatings

mighta been me you were talking to Alaska Gray. Hard to say. I was at the cleaning stations on the Ramp Side.

Quote Originally Posted by otter
    Crap, I'm coming up this weekend from Maryland/DC to get away from those critters. They've infested the coast out here for years now.

Oh well, hey we're going out Monday from the fishhouse in Seward for the combo trip. Anyone had any experience w/ that crew. I know they have a ton of boats, but I believe we're with going out with Jimmy on the Perseverance.

Thanks, didn't mean to jack your thread.
    Where do you live in Maryland? I grew up in Silver spring. I still have a beach house in Ocean City.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Cutter
    We sure didnt get any Dogfish, but the Skates were out in Full Force - we set a new personal one day record for skate boatings

mighta been me you were talking to Alaska Gray. Hard to say. I was at the cleaning stations on the Ramp Side.
    No I was cleaning on the side by K-Bay charters shack. I will post a pic later. And of course wiuth this pic I grab the wrong film. They came out in Black and white.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Talking Homer Weekend

I too was out of Homer last weekend; man what a treat! I think that has to be the nicest the weather and water have been all summer. We crusied out about 36 miles just past 'the fingers'. Fishing was OK. Lots and lots of dogfish. Even managed half a dozen skates. Whoopee! lol

As stated, fishing was slow; but we were finally able to get into some fish after we pulled anchor and started slowly drifting. Finally pulled in some nice fish. One just under a 100, twins at 65, a single at 50, and the rest between 20-35. Oh, and 6 silvers as well.

Only a couple other boats around us. I think they had pretty good success as well.

Probably the last trip out of Homer for me this year. Just too darn far to tow each weekend!

Ever see me, stop by and say hi! Boat name "Gambler" Always willing to share or swap spots!

-- Gambler

Quote Originally Posted by Gambler
    I too was out of Homer last weekend; man what a treat! I think that has to be the nicest the weather and water have been all summer. We crusied out about 36 miles just past 'the fingers'. Fishing was OK. Lots and lots of dogfish. Even managed half a dozen skates. Whoopee! lol

As stated, fishing was slow; but we were finally able to get into some fish after we pulled anchor and started slowly drifting. Finally pulled in some nice fish. One just under a 100, twins at 65, a single at 50, and the rest between 20-35. Oh, and 6 silvers as well.

Only a couple other boats around us. I think they had pretty good success as well.

Probably the last trip out of Homer for me this year. Just too darn far to tow each weekend!

Ever see me, stop by and say hi! Boat name "Gambler" Always willing to share or swap spots!

-- Gambler
    I was there by the fingers. What boat do you have? What did you think of the fog that rolled through?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default HC

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray
    HEy Mud funny you said you where in HC on sunday. So were we. We were at the coffe shop then just crusied around there looking at the houses.
    Waht time did you get back to the dock? There was a guy there talking about the skates they caught and I wonder if it was you . We were on the store side cleaning stations.
    We left out of HC around 3pm if I remember right. We were in a 21' aluminum cuddy cabin with a blue canvas top over the helm. This one as a matter of fact -

From there we didn't do any more fishing and went straight to the ramp. We had pawned off all the halibut from Sat/Sun with one of my buddies who kept it iced and took it home for us.

It was my first time to HC. Man, is it a beautiful place. I had no idea there were so many cabins/houses over there.

Great trip!
    AKmud

YEs it is. I thinking of making one last run to Homer for the season. And of course stopping by HC again.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Interesting reading. We hit the south end of Montague on Monday and hit the dog fish as well. As soon as the bait dropped we had one on.
    Fishing sure is changing up here in the last 10 years or so. Used to be the occassional skate while fishing out of Homer/Deep Creek but now skates and dog fish seem to be genuine pests everywhere we go.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray
    Where do you live in Maryland? I grew up in Silver spring. I still have a beach house in Ocean City.
    I live on Capitol hill now, but do most of my fishing in MD/ on the coast.

Next time I go out (might not be until next summer, but maybe sooner) I'll take some pictures on how to fillet the skate wings and post a recipe on how to cook them. Seriously, they're awesome eating.

-Brian

Solomons Island I love to fish and crab there growing up.

I just have that itch to go out and try one more time in Homer.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Maryland, huh. I lived in Towson, but spent 18 summers in Ocean City. I caught more halibut in Homer in one day than I can catch flounder in Ocean City in a summer. Not sure what has happened to the fishing there. I used to fish for trout at the inlet jetty. Caught fish consistently, now it is a big deal just to catch one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast