Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where's the Grizz?

Default Where's the Grizz?

Sure has been quiet this year! I have only seen a couple of post about Brown's or Grizz huntin results this year. 1 success and 1 no bear? Is that all that has been happening?? I know I didn't get out myself, but maybe this weekend?
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Thinking the same thing Bob! I know I have been hitting it hard. Found one den and it was up in Hatchers and it ended up being a blackie. Way to high to climb for a blackie. I have talked to a few pilots that come into the store and they are just now starting to see sign up on Mt. Susitna. The snow is getting pretty rotten by mid day now, might have to give up and start getting ready to bait blackies....Good luck to all on the moose munchers!

Default I got a killer tag, but..

Im hunting unit 7, and havent seen anything. Covered alot of ground yesterday on the road system from Seward to Moose Pass to Coopers ldng. Just about time to have to pony up some dough and scout from the air. (yes I feel very lucky to have a grizz tag there

If I had to guess I'd say we are about 1-2 weeks behind schedule for good grizzly bear movement. Should start picking up in the next couple weeks. Only problem is I bet a lot of guys have already used their time off and money and didn't score due to the crappy weather.

Default the grizz are out

They are out and about. I have heard that several have already been sealed with fish and game in Fairbanks. They are the first out and this wet snow has gotten them out and about. I saw one of the biggest tracks I've ever seen in the interior, but didn't have time to search him out. Hopefully he'll grow even bigger and will show this fall or next spring.

Default from last sunday

Well here are a couple that are still walking that I saw last Sunday. I went out for a ride to look for bears and this is what I found.
    21 miles out I first found the little bear. It had just killed a cow moose and was still busy burying it up. I got a few photos of it and then moved on.
    I next ran into this guy. Yeah the photos suck but I tried to get a couple of him to bring back. The moose killer was about a six foot bear, looked like a female. The other bear was maybe 7 1/2 close to eight feet. I wear a size ten bunny boot and that is his back foot next to mine. I'll load some photos up now.
    We do plan to kill some bears and help out the moose herd but our snow is perfect so we are waiting for a couple more days to go by to focus our efforts on the local unit before we get loaded up. I went a total of 47 miles and saw four other tracks besides these two live bears.
    In the meantime these will have to do.

And the other bear.

We'll see what we come up with in a few days. Our snow is the best for spring bear hunting I have seen in 20 years. By the way this is unit 22.
    The moose hunting sucks but the bear hunting is fabulous.

My boss has been out flying a camera crew around from the BBC and Discovery channel in a chopper. You should see all the bears they have been spotting and filming. Must be nice to be able to drop $20,000 in expenses to "hunt" brown bears.

At least I know where to hunt after they finish filming.

Default fish and game

I was at fish and game today in Fairbanks getting my bear bait registered. I was told only 3 have been sealed. 2 were from a guided hunts somewhere south. Not sure where the other one was shot. He said there were very few reports of sightings. The weather here in the interior is supposed to improve a little. Mid 50's from now on out. It's 2 a.m. right now and it's 42 out. Crossing my fingers that this is a sign that winter is over.

Default I got one

I shot a nice brown in unit 16 last week, it was a guided hunt.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by huntinelk View Post
    Nice bear. What was the date of the kill?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Great bear huntinelk! Congrats!

Thanks for the pictures GrizzlyKiller, looks like it doesn't get any better.

I'll be headed out on the 13th of May to hop in a boat and start scouting the inlets on Chichagof. Going to try and thread one with a sharp stick, and my brother is going to give one some lead poisoning. Seeing some dead ones is getting my blood flowing, so keep 'em coming!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    Great bear huntinelk! Congrats!

Thanks for the pictures GrizzlyKiller, looks like it doesn't get any better.

I'll be headed out on the 13th of May to hop in a boat and start scouting the inlets on Chichagof. Going to try and thread one with a sharp stick, and my brother is going to give one some lead poisoning. Seeing some dead ones is getting my blood flowing, so keep 'em coming!
    You dont sound excited??

Default Great Stuff for all of

Us, to get us excited. Great pics! I just got a call from my partner in Kodiak and they just took 9 1/2', great coated boar, down by Olga bay. I will get some pics posted when he gets hjme
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    You dont sound excited??
    Actually I'm a bit curious as to how things are going to go. I'm headed down to help my buddy do some finish work on his cabin on the island and we are going to do some bear hunting along with the work. I went down in October of last year to go goat hunting with him and somehow found myself sheetrocking the whole week. I'm curious just how much bear hunting we'll be doing. He knows the area well, and said he'll make sure the bear hunting is the easy part of the week.

Good luck man!

Default Gone

There's more where this one came from in western Ak. GMU 22B

Come and get em!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default Nice Bears...Details Please

Huntinelk and MT,

Nice bears guys, how about some details? How far away were they when you spotted 'em, what was the stalk like, what did you shoot them with, and how many shots?

Mike - is that another snowmachine in the distancve over your shoulder?

Way to go fellas!

MD..........that's a TREE!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by huntinelk View Post
    That is a nice bear!! I have looked at those pics about ten times today!
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast