Thread: Bull Magnet

Default Bull Magnet

Has anyone ever used a bull magnet? It is a moose call; for those who do not know what it is. Would you recommend a different call. I like the look of it because it seems to be versatile. thanks

Of all the calls that I have seen or used I like the Bull Magnet the most. I prefer the smaller model as you will be packing it around. You can drill a hole at either end and attach a string to throw over your shoulder. The Bull Magnet simply magnifies the sound that you make and allows you to throw your call further. It also works good for scraping etc. There are many uses for it.

Thumbs up Bull Magnet comments

Wayne Kubat's Bull Magnet is a great tool for calling moose. I've been using mine for several years, and can attest to its effectiveness at bringing bulls in from long distances. My personal record that I actually observed, was a bull I saw from a mountainside in the Aniak River area. A few long quavering cow calls and he came running our way. He obviously heard us, and he was three miles away.

The thing I DON'T like about the Magnet is that when you use it like a scraper, it sounds a bit too "tinny" to me. It almost has a ringing sound, I think because it's made of fiberglass. I find that if you hang on to the mouthpiece end and grab the shallow part of the other end in the other hand and scrape with it that way, you get a more realistic sound. That's my take anyway.

For carrying it around, I wouldn't make a lanyard hole in it as was suggested. Just pass a piece of parachute cord through the whole thing, right in one end and out the other. Then tie the cord to itself and you're good to go. You don't want a long loop of cord or it will get tangled in the brush; it just needs to be long enough that you can sling it over your shoulder and have it ride just above the elbow area. Since I usually hunt with my pack on, I simply hook the parachute cord over a buckle on my pack's shoulder strap. That's what I do. Maybe it will help someone else.

Someone mentioned two sizes of Bull Magnets. I wasn't aware of that, and only know of one size.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Wink

Mike,
    I love how you talk about previous posts as if nobody noticed that I had the only previous post. Just had to throw that in there. The Bull Magnet that is advertised on their website: The bull magnet is approximately 17" long with an 8" maximum diameter & weighs about 18 oz. The one that I purchased is 12" in length with a 6" opening and therefore is smaller and lighter. As for your comment

"The thing I DON'T like about the Magnet is that when you use it like a scraper, it sounds a bit too "tinny" to me. It almost has a ringing sound, I think because it's made of fiberglass. I find that if you hang on to the mouthpiece end and grab the shallow part of the other end in the other hand and scrape with it that way, you get a more realistic sound. That's my take anyway."

I would have to agree.

The smaller one is call the "Guide model". That's the one I purchased for my upcoming moose hunt. You ought to see the people here in Louisiana laugh at me when I practice with it. Little do they know that I'll be the one laughing when I plug that 65" bull in a few weeks.
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

This is one of the best, if not THE best moose call i have ever used. I have used several different kinds over the years, homemade birch bark call, big coffee can with a rope, hands, and even a milk jug with the bottom cut off and last year I used an electronic call. I don't have any issues with the magnet sounding tinny, if you do, try putting your hand over the small opening when scraping trees and hitting brush. I'd also recommend watching Love Thunder and Bull to see how effective the call really is and use the advice and tips offered, this thing works great!

Default I agree 100%!!!

The Bull Magnet works GREAT. Its not a call, but it certainly helps a hunter sound like a Moose. I use one, and as a bow hunter I can say it brings them in. Last year I called in a very large bull. Itís easy to carry (I use the same method as Michael described). But best of all, someone with little experience at calling moose can call in moose.

Default Sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by AKBighorn
    ...you talk about previous posts as if nobody noticed that I had the only previous post...
    Bighorn,

Sorry about that; my mistake. I was reading a whole bunch of windows at the same time and lost track on this thread. I thought there were two posts in there before I wrote in. Add that to my being sick right now with this danged summer cold, and then there is that aging thing... well, you get the idea. Sorry, I wasn't trying to single you out at all.

On a related note to this thread, have you tried a moose scapula for a scraper yet? They work very well, and sound almost exactly like a small paddle-horned bull's antler scraping on a tree. Good stuff!

Regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan
    On a related note to this thread, have you tried a moose scapula for a scraper yet? They work very well, and sound almost exactly like a small paddle-horned bull's antler scraping on a tree. Good stuff!
    Also, not as rugged as a scapula, but easier to find.... Try out a piece of 1x6 cedar board. A piece about 18-24" long sounds very much like an antler against a tree as well as makes a good scraper. It maintains that "hollow" sound.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Talking Plywood antlers

a piece of 2x3 plywood works real good too!

Mike,
    No offense taken. I was simply humored. Hope you get rid of that cold. That's no fun in the summer.